Archived Topic

Reaction to BYU-UConn Schedule Announcement

by YNot · 3/4/2013

Advertisement
Y
YNot
I think Tom Holmoe has done a good job with upcoming schedules. 2013 is definitely a great schedule.



UConn in 2014 and 2015, while not must-see games, absolutely fit into a solid scheduling strategy. Without signing scheduling agreements with the conferences themselves, BYU seems to have great scheduling affiliations with MWC and Big East members. 3-4 games per year against the MWC and 2-3 games per year against the Big East.



2013

Big East - Houston

MWC - Utah State, Boise State, Nevada



2014

Big East - UConn, Houston, UCF

MWC - Utah State, Nevada, Boise State, UNLV



2015

Big East - Cincinnati, UConn

MWC - Boise State, Utah State, UNLV



2016

Big East - Cincinnati

MWC - Boise State



In addition, I hope we continue to see annual games involving the ACC and Big Ten. Perhaps Miami up next after Virginia? And (obviously) I would love to see either (or both) the Nebraska or Michigan one-and-done's turn into something bigger (a la Wisconsin).
C
crh55
The UCONN game is great, because it is a winnable game with a BCS team. I would rather schedule games against UCONN, Ole Miss and Virginia knowing we should win (but might not) than games against WAC teams. IMO there should be 3-4 games a year against lower tear BCS schools.
J
jvquarterback
This is a great scheduling job. I have a feeling this one and the Cincinnati games will end up being ACC games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
I like it. Another game in a part of the country BYU doesn't frequent but should be a winable game. Good for the schedule and exposure.
C
Cougarbib
crh55 wrote:
The UCONN game is great, because it is a winnable game with a BCS team. I would rather schedule games against UCONN, Ole Miss and Virginia knowing we should win (but might not) than games against WAC teams. IMO there should be 3-4 games a year against lower tear BCS schools.

WAC Football died a quiet death after producing some pretty decent teams in its final season. The WAC is no more. So we will not be playing any more WAC teams.



We will play MWC teams - pretty much all of which were in the WAC with BYU at some point - except USU and whomever I forgot.



It seems like SJSU and USU proved to be worthy opponents in 2012.



WAC holds a special place in my heart. The 1984 National Champions were a WAC team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Sweet another 1-and-done that we can announce as a home-and-home!



I love playing all the games in these series first on the road!
F
Fido
SpiffCoug wrote:
Sweet another 1-and-done that we can announce as a home-and-home!



I love playing all the games in these series first on the road!

Um....if you look at the 2014 schedule we already had 6 home games and UCONN becomes our 5th road game. We still need to add another road game (unless for some reason they go 7 home 5 road--but I don't know we've ever done that). 2015 now has 4 road and 4 home games so far.



You could be pessimistic and say that UCONN will buy out the game and not return to Provo in 2015. If that happens some extra cash comes our way and you add another game. I'm not sure I see the downside. Calling it a 1 and done is...um...not smart. ;)
Y
YNot
And, the UConn return game is in late October. If going to UConn first is what it takes to get the home game later in the season, that's a sound strategy.
B
blue42
SpiffCoug wrote:
Sweet another 1-and-done that we can announce as a home-and-home!



I love playing all the games in these series first on the road!


This was my first thought when I saw the first game was back there.
C
Cougarbib
Fido wrote:
Sweet another 1-and-done that we can announce as a home-and-home!



I love playing all the games in these series first on the road!

Um....if you look at the 2014 schedule we already had 6 home games and UCONN becomes our 5th road game. We still need to add another road game (unless for some reason they go 7 home 5 road--but I don't know we've ever done that). 2015 now has 4 road and 4 home games so far.



You could be pessimistic and say that UCONN will buy out the game and not return to Provo in 2015. If that happens some extra cash comes our way and you add another game. I'm not sure I see the downside. Calling it a 1 and done is...um...not smart. ;)


Focusing on money is short sided. The reason good teams pay bad teans and suckers $1M to come roll over for them is all about winning and creating unfair advantage to increase the odds of winning. And when the winning continues, money pours in fron everywhere. TV. Sold Out Stadiyms. Apparel. Souvenirs. Concession Stands. Boosters. And Cougartails.



UCONN will probably honor their committment unless conference realignment creates a problem or they lose a ton of games the next two years and fire everyone and hire a new AD that sees the importance of padding the wins.



I do not like the long travel games but if this series happens as currently drawn up - BAM - this is a good match-up.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
F
Fido
Focusing on the money? All I said is if they don't want the return game they would buy their way out (they will have cash with the pending nBE settlement where they get a good sized share of $100 mill--see http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9019093/big-east-football-schools-keep-close-110-million-league-split-according-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). So its not like they wait for BYU to come out first and then walk away in a 1-and-done fashion as a poster suggested. Especially considering their scheduling situation with Louisville and Rutgers leaving the conference resulting in OOC holes to fill in relatively short order (http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconn-adds-byu-to-schedule-in-2014-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). UCONN also added Stoney Brook in 2014 and is looking for 2 more OOC 2014 games and 1 more 2015 OOC game.
C
Cougarbib
Fido wrote:
Focusing on the money? All I said is if they don't want the return game they would buy their way out (they will have cash with the pending nBE settlement where they get a good sized share of $100 mill--see http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9019093/big-east-football-schools-keep-close-110-million-league-split-according-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). So its not like they wait for BYU to come out first and then walk away in a 1-and-done fashion as a poster suggested. Especially considering their scheduling situation with Louisville and Rutgers leaving the conference resulting in OOC holes to fill in relatively short order (http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconn-adds-byu-to-schedule-in-2014-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). UCONN also added Stoney Brook in 2014 and is looking for 2 more OOC 2014 games and 1 more 2015 OOC game.


What you actually said was essentially



If UCONN cancels on us - money comes our way as a cancelation penalty - so you do not see any downside.



The downside would be that BYU got duped into selling home field advantage.



Hopefully both games will get played - fair and square.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
Thanks for telling me what I said and what I meant by it. :whistle: Do you mind read as well? :lol:
S
SpiffCoug
Fido wrote:
Thanks for telling me what I said and what I meant by it. :whistle: Do you mind read as well? :lol:

He can. He's bulimic.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Thanks for telling me what I said and what I meant by it. :whistle: Do you mind read as well? :lol:

He can. He's bulimic.


Well - why don't you show your original quote and then you tell us what hou meant about the money and not seeing any downside.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Well - here is your quote Fido. What did you mean?



"You could be pessimistic and say that UCONN will buy out the game and not return to Provo in 2015. If that happens some extra cash comes our way and you add another game. I'm not sure I see the downside."



There it is - right from Fido's mouth.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
Fixate much? My point was assuming the Provo game will be bought out is a bit silly because of their current schedule situation. And worse case scenario is BYU walks away with some cash for the buyout and is no worse for wear since they can surely get another game for 2015.
C
Cougarbib
Fido wrote:
Fixate much? My point was assuming the Provo game will be bought out is a bit silly because of their current schedule situation. And worse case scenario is BYU walks away with some cash for the buyout and is no worse for wear since they can surely get another game for 2015.


Conference realignment and emerging conference scheduling alignments, and changing confetence rules about OOC late in the season could dramatically affect their scheduling situation. So could losing seasons for the next two years bring on a desire for cupcakes.



So yes we could get another game. Probably a rosd game or a cupcake.



Hopefully - the above possibilities will not materialize. Getting UCON to Provo is important.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
Can't read a single thread on this board anymore without listening to you children cry at each other.
B
BroncoBot
ha ha. I agree CAFB, there's been a lot of doom and gloom mixed with some straining at gnats around here lately.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.