Archived Topic

Carlino's block against Saint Mary's

by hawkwing · 2/22/2013

Advertisement
G
Guest
It's no surprise that Carlino has some sort of a block when playing Saint Mary's, whether it's because they are just that much better than him, or it's mental, I don't know. I thought this stat was interesting.


Greg Wrubell @gregwrubell

Matt Carlino in games against GU/SMC: 23 ast, 31 to (0.74-to-1 ast/to ratio). Games against all other WCC teams: 119 ast, 46 to (2.6-to-1).
C
Cougs_Rule
Why did you word it that way, "it's no surprise"? Have you been down on MC previously and are therefore not surprised? Or is it not surprising because he has this reputation he is trying to overcome of being fearless but gets into trouble against better teams?
G
Guest
It's no surprise because Carlino has never played well against Saint Mary's. Just like saying, it's no surprise that Max Hall has a block when playing TCU.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
It's no surprise because Carlino has never played well against Saint Mary's. Just like saying, it's no surprise that Max Hall has a block when playing TCU.


Got ya.



THe SMC coach is really quite good. He had Dellavadiva and the whole defense modulating their approaches, switching around to various guys and pushing them (MC and TH) Matt noe Tyler over got into a rhythm. It's one reason why Davies had a good game. They rarely doubled BD. and he delivered most of the time. But SMc focused on keeping TH in check and MC off his game and it worked.
B
BroncoBot
I was hoping for a highlight clip. :~(
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
That would have been entitled: Carlinos Brick against St Mary's. ;-)
B
BoiseBYU
There's upside to the kid. He's just a soph and we wish he'd do so much more. We needed him and he didn't deliver but like I said he has upside.
B
BYULV
I think it's just a sign of youth and inexperience. He will continue to improve and figure out ways to make other teams pay for playing him so tight/rough. Haws will do the same. Would be nice if they both had an epiphany this week which opened up their games for the rest of the season . . . Then we have a chance to win the WCC tourney and play the Cinderella roll in the NCAA. but, that is not likely to happen until next year :angry:
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
I think it's just a sign of youth and inexperience. He will continue to improve and figure out ways to make other teams pay for playing him so tight/rough. Haws will do the same. Would be nice if they both had an epiphany this week which opened up their games for the rest of the season . . . Then we have a chance to win the WCC tourney and play the Cinderella roll in the NCAA. but, that is not likely to happen until next year :angry:


I worry about next year too.



I could easily be wrong about this analysis because IDK for sure on most of THI S.



We lose Davies. His replacement will not be a senior that averages 20 points even if a recent CC post did call Brandon Davies a joke. Minus 1.



Tyler Haws returns. Even better. Plus 1. Cumulative score is equal at best.



Carlino returns. Improved, most likely. Plus 1. Cumulative is plus slightly.



Cusick and Zylstra probably both graduate and even if they do not - both seem to have found their ceiling. Sharp has faded as of late. Nobody else has shown anything consistently. We have mediocrity at two slots now.



Kyle Collinsworth may or may not have the legs next year to make one of these slots a plus 1.



The last slot is a crapshoot. Hope for a freshman miracle or something if that nature.



Slightly improved. Enough to win WCC many thought we could dominate?



Depends on how well zags, SMC, etc., reload imho.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Mika will be in the running for WCC new comer of the year. He will average close to 10 and 10. And Austin, by experience alone will have to fill the 4.

IDK if Harward is hurt or not. But I seriously doubt if he will ever am to much. HS size made him a good force in HS. But at the DI level, he is not fast, nor very coordinatedis a foul machine (sign of slowness) and not an offensive threat. I hope I'm wrong about Ian.

Worthington could push for PT as well.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
Next year is going to be interesting.



Haws will be the clear number one option and everyone is going to rough him up like they have the 2nd half of this year. I expect he will have a rough year unless we can provide enough threats around him.



Carlino has shown the most scoring potential but he is wild and inconsistent. He needs improve his ball handling and learn how to finish strong around the hoop-ideally with both hands.



After that we have a developing role players in Sharp and Austin. Both of them need to get a lot stronger so we can rebound.



Winder hasn't improve as much as I had hoped but he will get plenty of chances next year.



I have more hope that Delgado will be a good player for us. His shooting is already good. Hopefully he gets more comfortable driving the ball.



After that we are going to need help from newcomers/returners.



I haven't seen anything to indicate Mika or Worthington will be able to score in the post.



We need Kyle Collinsworth to be ready to go. He may be the de facto backup point guard.



It would be really, really nice if Ambrosino can do anything next year.



So not a lot of hope.
C
Cougs_Rule
A big key is Kyle. When does he get back? If he can get after conditioning like Tyler, he will be a great compliment to Tyler. He can and will get to the rim. It's what he did/does best.

If Carlino can be that driving threat at the point and KC on the wing, then Tyler can come off screens or find the soft spots for his midrange game. But maybe BYU will still be so weak at the 4 that KC will have to play some there, as Sharp has. But he, like Sharp, would be undersized. So, I would a rather see next year--



1- Carlino

2-Haws/Winder

3-Kyle C/Sharp/Augi

4-Austin (I guess)/Sharp/ Fusi (will he play again)

5-Mika (who else is there?) Harward, Worthington,, Nielson



But with MC, TH, KC, Rose can run his uptempo stuff to the max. And hope that carries us. Ty is going to have to put on some bulk as well. Somebody call in TaekwonDave.
B
beauso79
We desperately need to find some outside shooting somewhere. We need another Rogers type shooter, a la Sai Tummala to even have a chance next year. We'll need Delgado to step up his game/outside shooting as well



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
nuk13
[quote="Cougs_Rule"]A big key is Kyle. When does he get back? If he can get after conditioning like Tyler, he will be a great compliment to Tyler. He can and will get to the rim. It's what he did/does best.



I hope Tyler Haws meets kyle at the airport and shows him the routine he did that got him where he is now.



I believe Mika will start the season close to where Davis is now and improve as it goes on. The other bigs will improve. I also agree that Carlino and Winder will improve. If most of this happens BYU may well start the season as one of the top 25 teams in the nation. I didn't say the polls will put them there but that they will be that good.
C
Cougarbib
nuk13 wrote:
A big key is Kyle. When does he get back? If he can get after conditioning like Tyler, he will be a great compliment to Tyler. He can and will get to the rim. It's what he did/does best.



I hope Tyler Haws meets kyle at the airport and shows him the routine he did that got him where he is now.



I believe Mika will start the season close to where Davis is now and improve as it goes on. The other bigs will improve. I also agree that Carlino and Winder will improve. If most of this happens BYU may well start the season as one of the top 25 teams in the nation. I didn't say the polls will put them there but that they will be that good.


If Eric Mika starts out averaging 20 or so ppg and improves from there he will be in the NBA before Jabari Parker. I do not share your year-1 optimism. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.



Hype Springs Eternal



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
nuk13 wrote:

I believe Mika will start the season close to where Davis is now and improve as it goes on. The other bigs will improve.

HA HA. I wish Mika all the best, but let's see him play against some real bigs before we crown him as good as Sr. Davies. You're setting yourself up for some serious disappointment when Mika starts playing his freshman year.
B
Brayden Green
BroncoBot wrote:

I believe Mika will start the season close to where Davis is now and improve as it goes on. The other bigs will improve.

HA HA. I wish Mika all the best, but let's see him play against some real bigs before we crown him as good as Sr. Davies. You're setting yourself up for some serious disappointment when Mika starts playing his freshman year.


I'm not saying that Mika will have the same stats, because Rose might not use him the same as this years Davies, but Mika is better (more aggresive, maybe not as polished) than Davies in the post, and a much more athletic player.



I would take Mika over Davies in a heartbeat. If for no other reason than he looks to be agressive each and every time down the court. Davies does not, and our offense stutters because of it. When he isn't get position, and haws is getting mugged in close man, there isn't anything else going on for offense.
C
Cougs_Rule
Mika will not have as high a scoring average next year as Davies this year. Bt he will be forced to start given the weak, slow bench of returning posts. My prediction is Austin and Mika.
S
SpiffCoug
I don't think Mika averages 8 points next year. Isaac Nielsen could be a factor next year as well.
B
beauso79
SpiffCoug wrote:
I don't think Mika averages 8 points next year. Isaac Nielsen could be a factor next year as well.


Nielsen doesn't return from his mission until December 2013. Unless he returns early he wont's be a factor next year. A front court of 5 - Nielsen and 4 - Mika would actually be pretty impressive but not likely too see that until Fall 2014. We still need to find some dead-eyes from the outside though
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.