Archived Topic

Please Define "Loyal BYU Fans"

by urroner · 2/17/2013

Advertisement
U
urroner
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/opinion/mailbag/byu-football-should-consider-its-fans/article_96636e18-962f-5b0b-8b5a-a1174b8200bd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



In the Daily Herald, some dude wrote in and berated BYU for

A. Not playing the football games at the right time, but letting ESPN dictate the times

B. Doubling the price of season tickets since 1997

C. Not considering the 65,000 loyal fans

D. Not consulting with the General Authorities about playing times.

E. Being inconsiderate to the 65,000 fans who attend the game by not having the time the games will be played when six months before, when the ticket applications are sent out.



I have to agree that it is a minor inconvenience when somebody is buying tickets way in advance and not knowing what time the game will be played, but, in the scheme of success of the BYU football time and its fans, is that really important enough to talk to any General Authorities about and to the fans of BYU football.



Well, HELL NO!!!!! (Sorry for the French.....the people and the language. :whistle: )



It's great to have the time of all the games six months in advance or whenever, but yes it might be a little bit pestiferous to those who will be buying advance tickets, but where is this guy coming from when he say "the 65,000 loyal BYU fans?"



Please excuse me for getting on my soapbox and calling this guy out

1. There are waaaaaaaay more than 65,000 loyal BYU fans and not all of them attend the game in person

2. I'm sure that are not 65,000 loyal fans who buy tickets six months in advance

3. Of those who do, how many get upset about not having the game time because ESPN is dictating the game time at some future time and giving BYU a bunch of money?

4. Does this guy think it's important to call up his bishop, if he's a member, every time he buys toilet paper?



I am a loyal BYU fan, been one since my early teens in the mid-60s, but this dude doesn't consider me one. Only those who attend the game, up to 65,000, are considered loyal fans. Dude, I still have a BYU Barbie cheerleader doll in the unopened original box in mint condition I bout in the late 90s, but I guess I'm not since I have only attended two BYU football game in person since moving here to Florida in 1979, the FSU game and the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando and BYU lost both games.



Also, with ESPN dictating the time, I and a bazillion (Schmoe, that's a number, not people from Brazil.) other loyal BYU fans get to finally watch BYU football games in real time, as opposed to maybe getting an occasional highlight of an occasional game or only getting to read the score and possibly some stats on Sunday morning.



Last year was awesome. I was able to watch most of the games on TV and some went late into the night, being two hours ahead of BYU time.



As far as ESPN wanting to dictate to BYU and the General Authorities the game times, hey, if they pay BYU enough money so BYU can improve upon its football facilities which will attract better recruits, help out the other non-self-sustaining sports at the Y, attract better coaches (Yeah, I know this is a sore spot for some,), and a bunch of other good stuff, I say dictate the game time. It's not like BYU is selling its soul for filthy lucre.



As far as the doubling of ticket prices in fifteen years, why is this guy complaining? According to the Rule of 70, that means that ticket prices went up about a staggering 4.6%/year. Of all the things to cry about. :bug:



Okay, I'm off my soapbox.
S
Schmoe
If you are a loyal fan, you should plan your whole Saturday as "busy" if you have a ticket, regardless of what time. There's the pre-tailgate Dewski whilst watching east coast games, tailgating, game, postgame radio on the drive away from the victory, aftergame DP celebration/lamentation whilst watching west coast games at some greasy spoon with ESPN, then bed.
D
Ddawg
Mostly, I'm upset Tom Holmoe didn't consult with me before scheduling the Coug's football schedule - ever.



I'd like to let him know when I have hunting trips planned, family birthdays in the Fall, etc. It would be very considerate of the BYU Athletic Dept. to work with me. How about throwing me a bone here?
B
Brayden Green
With the freaking construction the last ... I dunno ... 10 years, going to a game *is/was* an all day thing. Did anyone else really ever get anything else done on a 3pm kickoff other than meet your group, get a bite (before or after the treck) and either A) pump brakes for a solid hour and a half on the way to the game, or B) hang out in Ptown for freaking ever waiting for the game (and avoiding the Nazi Provo parking police)?



That is why it sucked so bad when they lost a home game, because it was an all day thing... You just spent the last 10 hours prepping for them to get blown out of the water by Florida State... :angry:
G
Guest
That guy is a douche bag.
Advertisement
R
rblack
Loyal fan = ME.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :whistle: :whistle:
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
If you are a loyal fan, you should plan your whole Saturday as "busy" if you have a ticket, regardless of what time. There's the pre-tailgate Dewski whilst watching east coast games, tailgating, game, postgame radio on the drive away from the victory, aftergame DP celebration/lamentation whilst watching west coast games at some greasy spoon with ESPN, then bed.


What about the replay and the forums and boards. It is a full day. Oh and the occasional ESPN highlight reel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
BYU didn't even crack 64,000 fans in attendance at any home games last season.
S
scott715
The letter was written by airwolfie no doubt.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
urroner
scott715 wrote:
The letter was written by airwolfie no doubt.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ahh, there is a name that brings up fond memories.... :sick:
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Cougarbib wrote:
If you are a loyal fan, you should plan your whole Saturday as "busy" if you have a ticket, regardless of what time. There's the pre-tailgate Dewski whilst watching east coast games, tailgating, game, postgame radio on the drive away from the victory, aftergame DP celebration/lamentation whilst watching west coast games at some greasy spoon with ESPN, then bed.


What about the replay and the forums and boards. It is a full day. Oh and the occasional ESPN highlight reel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


My bad, I totally forgot to include "check sportscenter for national perspective and recap and to see if any plays made the top 10, watch local news' recap of the game, go to the ESPN comments section for the game to see how much Mormon-bashing fans from the other school resort to, go on CC to discuss how our victory was in spite of terrible coaching/consciously stay away from CC for 24-48 hours if it was a loss, then bed."
B
Brayden Green
Schmoe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
If you are a loyal fan, you should plan your whole Saturday as "busy" if you have a ticket, regardless of what time. There's the pre-tailgate Dewski whilst watching east coast games, tailgating, game, postgame radio on the drive away from the victory, aftergame DP celebration/lamentation whilst watching west coast games at some greasy spoon with ESPN, then bed.


What about the replay and the forums and boards. It is a full day. Oh and the occasional ESPN highlight reel.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


My bad, I totally forgot to include "check sportscenter for national perspective and recap and to see if any plays made the top 10, watch local news' recap of the game, go to the ESPN comments section for the game to see how much Mormon-bashing fans from the other school resort to, go on CC to discuss how our victory was in spite of terrible coaching/consciously stay away from CC for 24-48 hours if it was a loss, then bed."


And we also forget how it used to be with the "Who else in our conference is playing, and did they win their out of conference scheduled games? ... I guess I might as well watch TCU play Northern Iowa State, after all, we play them in about 3 months and I want to see if the Horned Frogs are that good."
S
Schmoe
Yep, now it's just "who else on our schedule..."
S
Screamineagle
My Son and I were only able to make it to the Idaho game and lasted to the freezing cold icy end. Even though we only made one game we listened to(not everyone has ESPN) every other game and watched any replay on KBYU. As a bonus we now have some really nice Cougar cocoa mugs.I love being a fan.
S
Screamineagle
I forgot to mention another highlight was my son actually got to hi-five one of the players as he came off the field at the end what made it special is my son had a knit glove and some how it stuck to the players glove imagine my sons surprise as the glove was brought back to him.It was great.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Screamineagle wrote:
I forgot to mention another highlight was my son actually got to hi-five one of the players as he came off the field at the end what made it special is my son had a knit glove and some how it stuck to the players glove imagine my sons surprise as the glove was brought back to him.It was great.


BYU needs more fans like you.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
hawkwing wrote:
That guy is a douche bag.

Bingo. I think that regarding point B, Captain Douche Bag should probably compare ticket prices with the rest of the country. Growing up in SEC land, hooooooly cow, we really take the prices that we have here for granted, even if they seem to be high or have gotten higher over the years. Urroner's last point of 4.6% price increase a year makes me think, "Gee, I guess they're only a little bit ahead of inflation." Seriously, for the cost of season tickets, it seems like a good deal.



As for point E, yeah I think that it would be nice to have game times set way in advance, but in working with national broadcast scheduling it's just part of the deal. Oh well. Minor inconvenience for getting crazy amounts of exposure. But, if memory serves, didn't the Oregon State game this last year get its game time scheduled really late? That was the only one I remember thinking, "Man, I wish I knew what time this game was so I could plan my life around it." As for the others, it seems like we had at least a month or so at the minimum.



I feel like I'm a loyal fan and I think the program is doing about all it can to promote the program and the game day experience, increase accessibility, and generally draw me in. Bleh...offseason nonsense articles like these are just lame-o.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.