Archived Topic

Where Are They Now - What is Wrong With This Picture?

by Cougarbib · 2/17/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
2010 according to vocal fans



Bums

Anae - Goes to Arizona - Does well - Back at BYU

Higgins - Goes to Purdue - tears it up - Ends 2012 as interim head coach

Weber - Kept his job

Reynolds - Moved to coach tight ends



Heroes

Doman moves up to OC

Cahoon comes home





2012



Bums

Doman the OC - unemployed

Weber - goes to USU

Reynolds - Retired



Heroes

Doman the QB Coach - unemployed

Cahoon - unemployed

Dupaix - unemployed



IMHO - Waiting until after the holidays are over and the Head Coach takes vacation and letting players interview for their job - is well intended - avoids lawsuits - but really is not kind after all.



If the 2013 changes do not work out, maybe we can get Higgins and Weber back. They are getting more experience since they have jobs.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Cahoon doesn't need the work or the money and doesn't want to leave Utah County, and Doman just got two years severance pay that he gets regardless of whether he gets another job or not.



They'll be fine.
D
Ddawg
I'm glad Doman got the severence pay. 2 years is pretty generous. Good for BYU. He'll probably end up at the UofU as a QB coach next year - yikes. Hope not.
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
Cahoon doesn't need the work or the money and doesn't want to leave Utah County, and Doman just got two years severance pay that he gets regardless of whether he gets another job or not.



They'll be fine.


My comment has little, if anything at all, to do with money.



It has to do with career. If staying in Utah is more important to them right now than having a job that gets them the experience and momentum they need to bounce back - then all is well.



If false hopes of being retained at BYU caused them to turn down lesser opportunities - that is very unfortunate for them and severance pay may pay the bills for now - but it was clear that Doman would love to become a head coach some day. Severance pay does not do much to make those kind of dreams come true.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Cougarbib wrote:
Severance pay does not do much to make those kind of dreams come true.


If that's how Doman feels, he can keep sucking on those sour grapes. I'm sure the guy who picks up my trash every Tuesday morning at 7AM has unfulfilled dreams too.
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
Cougarbib wrote:
Cahoon doesn't need the work or the money and doesn't want to leave Utah County, and Doman just got two years severance pay that he gets regardless of whether he gets another job or not.



They'll be fine.


My comment has little, if anything at all, to do with money.



It has to do with career. If staying in Utah is more important to them right now than having a job that gets them the experience and momentum they need to bounce back - then all is well.



If false hopes of being retained at BYU caused them to turn down lesser opportunities - that is very unfortunate for them and severance pay jmay pay the bills for now - but it was clear that Doman would love to become a head coach some day. Severance pay does not do much to make those kind of dreams come true.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

While severance pay may not makes dreams come true, it sure makes sleeping a lot more peaceful. I would trade my job for two years severance pay in a heartbeat.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
Cahoon doesn't need the work or the money and doesn't want to leave Utah County, and Doman just got two years severance pay that he gets regardless of whether he gets another job or not.



They'll be fine.


In other words their football careers are not even 5th on their priority lists? If you want a career in coaching you usually have to pay your dues living in places you may not have prefetred to build your resume. Sitting out a year rarely helps these careers and could doom them.



If they are as competitive as they should be to have ever been coaches at BYU, they would probably rather be building that resume than biding time. They are not old like me. I would happily take the buyout and live where I want and do what I want now. When I was younger, I went wherever the opportunities called. I considered retiring really early in about 1992. It was a blast for a few weeks. And then I missed the action. I retired at age 60 last year. So far, I do not miss corporate life. I create my own work - but it is completely unrelated to my career and I can turn it on and off - I think. At least I hope I can turn it off.



These guys are a lot younger than me and I hope they are able to be doing something that CAPTURES THEIR HEARTS in the words of Doman because it will be 30 years before they are old men happy to putz around.



And if you are just pumping gas, like I was back when people actually pumped gas for a living, and while attending BYU - dream. Things can change. Sheesh, I even shoveled dried sewage into dump trucks for Provo City in high school. I never got to empty Sno's trash cans back then. That would have been a promotion.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Cougarbib wrote:
Cahoon doesn't need the work or the money and doesn't want to leave Utah County, and Doman just got two years severance pay that he gets regardless of whether he gets another job or not.



They'll be fine.


In other words their football careers are not even 5th on their priority lists? If you want a career in coaching you usually have to pay your dues living in places you may not have prefetred to build your resume. Sitting out a year rarely helps these careers and could doom them.



If they are as competitive as they should be to have ever been coaches at BYU, they would probably rather be building that resume than biding time. They are not old like me. I would happily take the buyout and live where I want and do what I want now. When I was younger, I went wherever the opportunities called. I considered retiring really early in about 1992. It was a blast for a few weeks. And then I missed the action. I retired at age 60 last year. So far, I do not miss corporate life. I create my own work - but it is completely unrelated to my career and I can turn it on and off - I think. At least I hope I can turn it off.



These guys are a lot younger than me and I hope they are able to be doing something that CAPTURES THEIR HEARTS in the words of Doman because it will be 30 years before they are old men happy to putz around.



And if you are just pumping gas, like I was back when people actually pumped gas for a living, and while attending BYU - dream. Things can change. Sheesh, I even shoveled dried sewage into dump trucks for Provo City in high school. I never got to empty Sno's trash cans back then. That would have been a promotion.


If you're told you have to reapply for your current job, you are on notice that your employment is in jeopardy. If these two decided to risk it all on the chance they would be retained and failed to get some other irons in the fire, the blame is solely on them. They had a chance to build their resumes if that's what they wanted, but they chose to bide their time.
A
ABYUFAN
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Cahoon doesn't need the work or the money and doesn't want to leave Utah County, and Doman just got two years severance pay that he gets regardless of whether he gets another job or not.



They'll be fine.


In other words their football careers are not even 5th on their priority lists? If you want a career in coaching you usually have to pay your dues living in places you may not have prefetred to build your resume. Sitting out a year rarely helps these careers and could doom them.



If they are as competitive as they should be to have ever been coaches at BYU, they would probably rather be building that resume than biding time. They are not old like me. I would happily take the buyout and live where I want and do what I want now. When I was younger, I went wherever the opportunities called. I considered retiring really early in about 1992. It was a blast for a few weeks. And then I missed the action. I retired at age 60 last year. So far, I do not miss corporate life. I create my own work - but it is completely unrelated to my career and I can turn it on and off - I think. At least I hope I can turn it off.



These guys are a lot younger than me and I hope they are able to be doing something that CAPTURES THEIR HEARTS in the words of Doman because it will be 30 years before they are old men happy to putz around.



And if you are just pumping gas, like I was back when people actually pumped gas for a living, and while attending BYU - dream. Things can change. Sheesh, I even shoveled dried sewage into dump trucks for Provo City in high school. I never got to empty Sno's trash cans back then. That would have been a promotion.


If you're told you have to reapply for your current job, you are on notice that your employment is in jeopardy. If these two decided to risk it all on the chance they would be retained and failed to get some other irons in the fire, the blame is solely on them. They had a chance to build their resumes if that's what they wanted, but they chose to bide their time.

Agreed. I'd like to see this stupid stunt never used again. fire them or don't, this is classic Bronco, can't make up his mind, 2 quarterback system all over again. Hopefully he learns from this and drops it from his practice
S
SpiffCoug
There is actually nothing wrong with this picture. Being a high-level football coach (college and NFL) comes with A LOT of job insecurity.



Go look at just about ANY coach's resume. You will see a bunch of jobs in a bunch of locations. It is a very transitory career with very little stability. Coaches move all the time and are rarely in any job, location more than a handful of years.



For instance, Bronco began coaching 1989 at Oregon St. Since then he has coached in seven different programs. That's eight programs in 24 years, so on average he's been in one location about three years. His tenure at BYU is by far his longest.



Coach Anae began coaching in 1986. This will be his ninth coaching stop. That's nine different jobs in 27 years - also about three years per stop.



Nick Saban has been coaching since 1971. He's been involved with 13 different college and NFL teams. That's an average of just over three years per team.



Mack Brown has been with Texas for 14 years, which is a long time. But from 1973 to 1997 he spent time with nine other programs. That's fewer than three years per team. Over all he's been coaching for 40 years for 10 programs.



If you want to coach at a high level, be ready to be moving VERY often. Doman should count himself extremely lucky that his first coaching stop was able to last as long as it did.



Some other BYU coaches:

Nick Howell - all his coaching (since 2002) has been in Utah. But he'd coached at three different high schools in the four years before joining BYU's staff as a defensive intern in 2007.



Steve Kaufusi - a rarity. Coaching since 1994 for only two programs - BYU and Utah.



Paul Tidwell - coaching since 1978, six different locations. Been with BYU since 2000, but was averaging a new program every five years before that.



Garrett Tujague is with his fourth team since 1993.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Spiff



I know and agree with all of that. You missed my point. Thepoint:



The guys everybody thought were absolutely useless (Anae and Higgins and Weber in 2010 and Weber this year) all got jobs. Really good jobs.



The guys that everybody thought would be retained - are unemployed.



If Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon had been told straight out before Christmas that they would likely not be retained - they would all have jobs if they wanted jobs. If Weber could get one - they could have. Intentions were probably good but poorly executed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Cahoon doesn't need the work or the money and doesn't want to leave Utah County, and Doman just got two years severance pay that he gets regardless of whether he gets another job or not.



They'll be fine.


In other words their football careers are not even 5th on their priority lists? If you want a career in coaching you usually have to pay your dues living in places you may not have prefetred to build your resume. Sitting out a year rarely helps these careers and could doom them.



If they are as competitive as they should be to have ever been coaches at BYU, they would probably rather be building that resume than biding time. They are not old like me. I would happily take the buyout and live where I want and do what I want now. When I was younger, I went wherever the opportunities called. I considered retiring really early in about 1992. It was a blast for a few weeks. And then I missed the action. I retired at age 60 last year. So far, I do not miss corporate life. I create my own work - but it is completely unrelated to my career and I can turn it on and off - I think. At least I hope I can turn it off.



These guys are a lot younger than me and I hope they are able to be doing something that CAPTURES THEIR HEARTS in the words of Doman because it will be 30 years before they are old men happy to putz around.



And if you are just pumping gas, like I was back when people actually pumped gas for a living, and while attending BYU - dream. Things can change. Sheesh, I even shoveled dried sewage into dump trucks for Provo City in high school. I never got to empty Sno's trash cans back then. That would have been a promotion.


If you're told you have to reapply for your current job, you are on notice that your employment is in jeopardy. If these two decided to risk it all on the chance they would be retained and failed to get some other irons in the fire, the blame is solely on them. They had a chance to build their resumes if that's what they wanted, but they chose to bide their time.


Not so. I have twice been required by HR to do this with large 100 + segments of my staff when making relatively small changes. It is done to ensure fairness and reduce risk of discrimination or wrongful termination claims. Standard HR stuff in conservative organizations. I retained 90% of those that had to reapply. But I subtly made sure people that did not need to worry knew and that thise who did need to worry knew. This process kept the best people from leaving the company and taking jobs others not retained might have sought. This procezs allowed those expised time and a face-saving way to get looking hard and fast. It works. But execution and communucation are critical.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Yeah, that's you and your experience, which is useful to you in making decisions with your employer. Doman's experience was more relevant as it was with BYU and Bronco--yours was not. In his previous experience, only 2 out of 5 guys returned--him and Reynolds. Yet he still chose not to look at backup plans when the same edict came down two years later.
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
Yeah, that's you and your experience, which is useful to you in making decisions with your employer. Doman's experience was more relevant as it was with BYU and Bronco--yours was not. In his previous experience, only 2 out of 5 guys returned--him and Reynolds. Yet he still chose not to look at backup plans when the same edict came down two years later.

Make that 3. Weber. 3 of 5. And supposedly Anae left even though Bronco wanted him to stay. It was intended to remove Higgins and not get sued for any type of discrimination and instead of winking at Anae day 1 and saying don't worry, Bronco let him get nervous and start interviewing and something pretty good popped up.



It was anything but a clean sweep in 2010. 2012 was, as absolutely nobody was retained.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Actually it's quite common in the coaching world for a guy to struggle at one place and move on to another coaching opportunity and find a better fit for his abilities, or to pick up more experience and knowledge by working with others in the field.



Just because a coach does well after leaving or being let go from another institution doesn't mean they would have performed as well at the institution they left.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
Actually it's quite common in the coaching world for a guy to struggle at one place and move on to another coaching opportunity and find a better fit for his abilities, or to pick up more experience and knowledge by working with others in the field.



Just because a coach does well after leaving or being let go from another institution doesn't mean they would have performed as well at the institution they left.

Just look at Belichick (among many many others)
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Actually it's quite common in the coaching world for a guy to struggle at one place and move on to another coaching opportunity and find a better fit for his abilities, or to pick up more experience and knowledge by working with others in the field.



Just because a coach does well after leaving or being let go from another institution doesn't mean they would have performed as well at the institution they left.


Totally agree. Point missed. All BYU coaches are good enough to get a decent job elsewhere unless they have become too old. Proper communication and timing allows them to do so. Weber and Higgins knew they were cooked and moved on quickly. Anae thought he was initially, and found a really good job that he apparently preferred once he discovered Bronco wanted him to stay.



Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon did not get a clear enough messsge early enough and are unemployed.



But, yes, we hired a UTEP cast off and he will likeky do fine here without the baggage that the coaching change there created for him.



My only criticism of BYU is communication and timing of how they handled this and wirh more savvy Bronco would have made it better for Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Cougarbib wrote:
Actually it's quite common in the coaching world for a guy to struggle at one place and move on to another coaching opportunity and find a better fit for his abilities, or to pick up more experience and knowledge by working with others in the field.



Just because a coach does well after leaving or being let go from another institution doesn't mean they would have performed as well at the institution they left.


Totally agree. Point missed. All BYU coaches are good enough to get a decent job elsewhere unless they have become too old. Proper communication and timing allows them to do so. Weber and Higgins knew they were cooked and moved on quickly. Anae thought he was initially, and found a really good job that he apparently preferred once he discovered Bronco wanted him to stay.



Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon did not get a clear enough messsge early enough and are unemployed.



But, yes, we hired a UTEP cast off and he will likeky do fine here without the baggage that the coaching change there created for him.



My only criticism of BYU is communication and timing of how they handled this and wirh more savvy Bronco would have made it better for Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yes, you're quite good at missing the point. You have made it into an art form.



You do a great disservice to Coach Tujague and to yourself by calling him a UTEP castoff. It's very near the line of trolling, perhaps even a cross it. I get the fact that you've never dealt with a business situation where hiring new management also means bringing in their own staff, but just because you never dealt with it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or is "bad".
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Actually it's quite common in the coaching world for a guy to struggle at one place and move on to another coaching opportunity and find a better fit for his abilities, or to pick up more experience and knowledge by working with others in the field.



Just because a coach does well after leaving or being let go from another institution doesn't mean they would have performed as well at the institution they left.


Totally agree. Point missed. All BYU coaches are good enough to get a decent job elsewhere unless they have become too old. Proper communication and timing allows them to do so. Weber and Higgins knew they were cooked and moved on quickly. Anae thought he was initially, and found a really good job that he apparently preferred once he discovered Bronco wanted him to stay.



Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon did not get a clear enough messsge early enough and are unemployed.



But, yes, we hired a UTEP cast off and he will likeky do fine here without the baggage that the coaching change there created for him.



My only criticism of BYU is communication and timing of how they handled this and wirh more savvy Bronco would have made it better for Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yes, you're quite good at missing the point. You have made it into an art form.



You do a great disservice to Coach Tujague and to yourself by calling him a UTEP castoff. It's very near the line of trolling, perhaps even a cross it. I get the fact that you've never dealt with a business situation where hiring new management also means bringing in their own staff, but just because you never dealt with it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or is "bad".


Missed it again Hawk. I totally understand the clean sweep. The execution was just poor. They should have told the 3 amigos in December - that although nobody was actually fired last time this time will likely be different. It would have been kinder and saved some buyouts.



Re 2J. That is not who I meant. One of you mods or someone pointed out on another thread about Michigan State / Doman that my point that maybe Cahoon could replace the guy we just stole frim UTEP was incorrect, because UTEP had fired and already replaced him when they brought in a new head coach. My comment above was - Their Loss - Our Gain. With better timing and execution our 3 cast offs would have been picked up elsewhere.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
But this assumes the guys let go (albeit late) won't find good jobs. And just because they have to scramble for one year doesn't mean they won't find a good job next year. I don't know what other programs are like, but I bet there are still good job openings out there. Every job isn't immediately filled - just look at BYU as an example.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.