Archived Topic

Brandon Doman interview

by Cougarpoke · 2/15/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
I saw that he was on The DJ and PK show this morning, but i didn't have a chance to listen. Anyone have a recap they are willing to share? I am interested to see if and how bitter he is towards Bronco and co.
D
Ddawg
This interview ought to be interesting. Please share if someone has it.
P
pjmuli
I really appreciate Brandon. He is a good man. One of the tough things about BYU is that whenever changes are being made, it is an unfortunate experience for high quality people. I wish Brandon the best. I was hoping he would be retained as the quarterback coach - something that he said he wanted to do. Interesting that such did not sit well with Mendenhall or Anae.
G
Guest
I would love to see Brandon end up in some office job in the athletic department.
E
EM_Puma
Here's the link to the interview:



http://1280thezone.com/index.php/audio/listen/dj_pk_former_byu_oc_brandon_doman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I was a little tenative of how Doman would come through an interview with those two individuals that were far from being BYU homers. Sometimes I even wonder if they like BYU, but they asked the questions that really needed to be made and I was pleased with Doman.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I was surprised that he was resigned to simply take the QB coaching job, but indicated that after interviewing for that opportunity with BM & RA that he was never offered the job.



Bottom line he's still a BYU guy and that's what I was worried about. Very mature response to the tough questions he was given. I believe that in a way too he doesn't want to leave the area because he likes the challenge that he's facing in being bishop, but I am reading somewhat into what he said.
A
a1247
I thought Brandon handled himself flawlessly and they did ask some pretty tough questions and he never once flinched and answered them. You could tell he was hurt and didn't want to leave BYU. It sounds like if he can't coach at the Y then he just might leave coaching altogether. He did put some of the blame on Bronco but the way he did it it wasn't like he was pouring sour grapes all over him. IMO he showed class and total professionalism throughout the whole interview and for me personally although I did feel there was a need for change its extremely sad to see him leave BYU.
S
Stirfry
a1247 wrote:
I thought Brandon handled himself flawlessly and they did ask some pretty tough questions and he never once flinched and answered them. You could tell he was hurt and didn't want to leave BYU. It sounds like if he can't coach at the Y then he just might leave coaching altogether. He did put some of the blame on Bronco but the way he did it it wasn't like he was pouring sour grapes all over him. IMO he showed class and total professionalism throughout the whole interview and for me personally although I did feel there was a need for change its extremely sad to see him leave BYU.

+1 Good luck Brandon.
B
byucougar1
There still might be an opportunity with the recruiting coordinator (new position in college).
J
jonnylingo
a1247 wrote:
I thought Brandon handled himself flawlessly and they did ask some pretty tough questions and he never once flinched and answered them. You could tell he was hurt and didn't want to leave BYU. It sounds like if he can't coach at the Y then he just might leave coaching altogether. He did put some of the blame on Bronco but the way he did it it wasn't like he was pouring sour grapes all over him. IMO he showed class and total professionalism throughout the whole interview and for me personally although I did feel there was a need for change its extremely sad to see him leave BYU.


Exactly how I felt. You can tell he wanted to stay. You can also tell that he really did do his best, it just wasn't good enough.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
byucougar1 wrote:
There still might be an opportunity with the recruiting coordinator (new position in college).


that obviously is not happening at this point, but i wish it would. doman was a great recruiter. look the quarterbacks the dude recruited. we need him recruiting for us. he would have a lot of credibility as well given he stayed after a demotion. it shows how great he thinks byu is.
C
Cougs_Rule
a1247 wrote:
I thought Brandon handled himself flawlessly and they did ask some pretty tough questions and he never once flinched and answered them. You could tell he was hurt and didn't want to leave BYU. It sounds like if he can't coach at the Y then he just might leave coaching altogether. He did put some of the blame on Bronco but the way he did it it wasn't like he was pouring sour grapes all over him. IMO he showed class and total professionalism throughout the whole interview and for me personally although I did feel there was a need for change its extremely sad to see him leave BYU.


Doman has been consistent in attributing the decision to play Riley as being Broncos decision. He said it in the season ("Ask Bronco, that's why he makes The Big bucks") and he said it again, very similarly, and as classy as he could, in this radio interview.



The notion that Doman unilaterally decided and stuck with Riley is pure fabricated nonsense. It is an effort by those ardent dedfenders of Bronco to keep the pressure and blame off of Bronco. It's classic scapegoating. Lets pin all the sins on the guy going out so the ones behind don't have to take Their share.

Good for Doman to be so classy in all of this, particularly when the guy who said "Doman is the best qb coach in the country" only three years ago, wouldn't hire back that "best qb coach in the coutnry" when he, Doman WANTED, without reservation or bitterness, to return to his former position--a loyalty afforded and displayed in much more abundance at even the U. Makes me sick. I love BYU and I will always hate and disparage the U. But when they/Ktwitt determined that the inexperienced guys of ARod and BJ weren't working as OC's and they we over their head and too young, they still kept a place for them. Go figure.
S
Stirfry
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Good for Doman to be so classy in all of this, particularly when the guy who said "Doman is the best qb coach in the country" only three years ago, wouldn't hire back that "best qb coach in the coutnry" when he, Doman WANTED, without reservation or bitterness, to return to his former position--a loyalty afforded and displayed in much more abundance at even the U. Makes me sick. I love BYU and I will always hate and disparage the U. But when they/Ktwitt determined that the inexperienced guys of ARod and BJ weren't working as OC's and they we over their head and too young, they still kept a place for them. Go figure.


I'm not sure I'm ready to imply Bronco isn't loyal because of this (afterall, the main issue many people have with Bronco is he's too loyal). I feel bad for Brandon but I can understand the concern of Bronco/Anae/whoever has that retaining the OC who the new OC is replacing could cause issues. If the theories of the Heaps/Riley split are true, why invite another split locker room with guys that may still be loyal to Brandon but not Anae. I don't think Brandon would intentionally cause issues but its a legitimate concern.



Bronco's stuck between what seems to be an issue of what he feels is best for the organization and what's best for his friend who he is close to (or was close to).



I guess Bronco could have had the courtesy that Kwitt has and let Brandon know after signing day and the coaching market is over that he no longer had a job so he'd have to accept a demotion if he didn't want to be unemployed.
F
frdbtr
I didn't get the feeling that he was bitter. He sounded deeply hurt and he has good reason to be.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I thought Brandon handled himself flawlessly and they did ask some pretty tough questions and he never once flinched and answered them. You could tell he was hurt and didn't want to leave BYU. It sounds like if he can't coach at the Y then he just might leave coaching altogether. He did put some of the blame on Bronco but the way he did it it wasn't like he was pouring sour grapes all over him. IMO he showed class and total professionalism throughout the whole interview and for me personally although I did feel there was a need for change its extremely sad to see him leave BYU.


Doman has been consistent in attributing the decision to play Riley as being Broncos decision. He said it in the season ("Ask Bronco, that's why he makes The Big bucks") and he said it again, very similarly, and as classy as he could, in this radio interview.



The notion that Doman unilaterally decided and stuck with Riley is pure fabricated nonsense. It is an effort by those ardent dedfenders of Bronco to keep the pressure and blame off of Bronco. It's classic scapegoating. Lets pin all the sins on the guy going out so the ones behind don't have to take Their share.

Good for Doman to be so classy in all of this, particularly when the guy who said "Doman is the best qb coach in the country" only three years ago, wouldn't hire back that "best qb coach in the coutnry" when he, Doman WANTED, without reservation or bitterness, to return to his former position--a loyalty afforded and displayed in much more abundance at even the U. Makes me sick. I love BYU and I will always hate and disparage the U. But when they/Ktwitt determined that the inexperienced guys of ARod and BJ weren't working as OC's and they we over their head and too young, they still kept a place for them. Go figure.


He was directly asked when he first recommended to Bronco to pull Riley. Answer was in the middle of the BSU game. It was not Before or during the Utah game. It was not before the BSU game. Pretty clear that he supported playing Riley vs SJSU even though that game probably was the straw that cost him his job. Loves Riley. Supports Riley. Nobody made Brandon Doman start Riley. The only question he dodged was whether he thought Lark would have won some of those games. He said Lark would probably think he could but that would be pure speculation. Seemed to me like the Doman answer was no.



Doman is a classy guy. Loves BYU, the Church, and his home state. If you reflect objectively on the notion that Doman was the guy the fans wanted to push Anae out and now Anae is back and the guy who replaced him is under him dreaming of being up there again - concerns about divisions in the team and staff when things get rough next year would make most sane peopke think this ain't good for the team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
It is freakin hilarious how some folks who vigorously opposed the notion that there was a division in 2010 amongst coaches and players can now so easily argue that that same possibility could have been in play if Doman were to stay. I happen to agree, even if it means Bronco has to accept this breach of loyalty, for the same reasons I argued there were these divisions back in 2010. It's too dang bad and sad that Doman gets the short end of the stick as a reaction to a problem that was occurring in 2010. But, Doman was it without fault. It was either capitulate to Broncos clear HC Decision to play Riley (listen to the tape again Bib--you are off and hearing what you want to hear) or it was defy him and lose his confidence. If you listen to the Doman interview, it is so conspicuous that Doman, in his classy way is saying and frontloading as much positive about Riley as he can, because of the obvious truth he's then tries not to say about how bad of a decision it was to stick with Riley. It was only in the SJSU game when Doman was finally able to crack Broncos loyalty to Riley and say enough is enough.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
It is freakin hilarious how some folks who vigorously opposed the notion that there was a division in 2010 amongst coaches and players can now so easily argue that that same possibility could have been in play if Doman were to stay. I happen to agree, even if it means Bronco has to accept this breach of loyalty, for the same reasons I argued there were these divisions back in 2010. It's too dang bad and sad that Doman gets the short end of the stick as a reaction to a problem that was occurring in 2010. But, Doman was it without fault. It was either capitulate to Broncos clear HC Decision to play Riley (listen to the tape again Bib--you are off and hearing what you want to hear) or it was defy him and lose his confidence. If you listen to the Doman interview, it is so conspicuous that Doman, in his classy way is saying and frontloading as much positive about Riley as he can, because of the obvious truth he's then tries not to say about how bad of a decision it was to stick with Riley. It was only in the SJSU game when Doman was finally able to crack Broncos loyalty to Riley and say enough is enough.


We agree on one thing. One of us needs to listen to that interview again and the same one of us is hearing what he wants to hear.



PS - did you really mean SJSU at the end or did you mean SDSU? That sentence makes even less sense than your usual nonsense. :) :)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
It's amazing after Doman states two separate times that Bronco made the decision to play Riley that some of you can't accept that.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
It's amazing after Doman states two separate times that Bronco made the decision to play Riley that some of you can't accept that.


I fully accept that. What you seem to not be able to accept even though he said it 10 times is that Brandon Doman not only agreed with it but recommended it.



I lived and I guess maybe died with Riley Nelson.



I love admire and respect Riley Nelson

Riley Nelson was the identity of our team

Pulling Jake Heaps was a defining moment for me - I think it was the right decision

If I could go back and change things I would change the scheme if how I used the QB in the run game

People don't understand the courage it took for Riley to play injured like that

And



I fully support Bronco in those decisions



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I fully support Bronco in those decisions. What decision? To unilaterally trust the OC to make the decision? Nope. To decide as the HC to play Riley? Yep.



"I guess"?? Yep. They mutually decided and Domn got strapped with all the blame.
Page 1 of 6
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.