Archived Topic

Jason Beck Hired!

by crh55 · 2/15/2013

Advertisement
C
crh55
It appears Anae has hired Jason Beck as his new QB coach.

Not sure what to make of this hire. It does seem like backups make for great coaches, those who can't do teach right???



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
I actually like this hire. Once again BYU takes someone from a lower division in college football. He is currently an Ocoordinator at Simon Fraser. I like that experience factor.
B
BerliNY
I like it too.
A
AmmonCougar1
Wasn't he a graduate assistant as LSU when G. Crowton was OC there? I can't help but think he has been mentored by some pretty good coaches...yes including Crowton.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
S
scott715
Yes, that is on his resume. Is this offical not? The rumors have been around for a couple of days.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
frdbtr wrote:
He is currently an Ocoordinator at Simon Fraser.


Canada, eh? So, is he going to have to adjust to hundred-yard fields, eleven men on the field, four downs, and one player in motion?
J
jonnylingo
Wonder what kind of recruiter he will be.
B
byucougar1
I believe that he will be very good as he had to scour for talent to keep SF competitive. All of the new hires seem to have some great connections as they have had a role in recruiting.
D
Ddawg
Interesting connection - new O-line coach Garett Tujague comes directly from College of the Canyons. New QB coach Jason Beck was the starting QB at College of the Canyons before transferring to BYU (where he was a very good QB in the JC ranks).



There is another former BYU QB, who is now a successful coach at U of Washington (Steve Sarkisian), who was a successful JC QB (El Camino College), and has turned out to be a pretty good coach.



I think the Jason Beck hire will work well. He had good experience as a player at the JC and Div I level, and years of coaching development that will translate into a big positive for BYU. I am very excited for the coming year. The O-coaching staff is looking really good.



Now I wonder - does Max Hall stick around?
H
HoosierCougar
Ddawg wrote:
Now I wonder - does Max Hall stick around?


My opinion - let him stay as long as he is a GA. Then let him go. If Max wants to coach, let him get experience elsewhere and progress like other coaches do. Once he's had experience and success as a position coach, coordinator, and possibly a head coach, then consider him for a real job at BYU.



If the Brandon Doman experience teaches us anything, we should not hire purely based on loyalty to BYU.



Once you start looking for position/coordinators, "BYU Guys" should be considered based on their successes elsewhere.



In a world of 26 year old internet millionaires, we need to remember that in some professions, experience still matters.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
+1. Agreed. Today I think folks put too much stock in the next genius "whiz kid." Sometimes they do appear. But solid experience, and the judgement that comes from years of solid work in the trenches cannot be underestimated.



A couple of examples of "whiz kids" that have had less than stellar performances: Rick Neuheisel. Didn't work out too well for UCLA. He must give one heckuva interview though, he keeps landing those HC jobs - then gets fired a few years later.



Another one I have doubts about - Lane Kiffin. We'll see how things work out for him at USC. But, I would say this past year was a disappointment for USC fans. Kiffin's job with the Oakland Raiders didn't go too smoothly. I remember Al Davis (who was a 1st class jerk) publicly taking his genius whiz kid Kiffin to task when he fired him. Ah well .....



Back on point - I think Jason Beck will be a good hire. There are good things happening with the BYU O-coaching staff.
G
Guest
I like getting a guy in who has coaching experience outside of BYU. He appears to be an up and comer too, and has been moving up the ranks pretty well. Hope he continues to excel at BYU.
C
Cougarfan87
There is something to be said for having understated coaches. For one, they don't have the same pressure to live up to the hype of being a legend at another school or as a former player. Great coaches do not have to be great players, and often were not. Mendenhall was not a star player, nor was Lavell Edwards in their playing days. I'm not sure Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Norm Chow, etc. ever cracked the starting lineup. Great coaches just have to be able to communicate the skills in a way that players can assimilate those skills.



It is also encouraging to see how Jason Beck has been working on the offensive coaching at different levels and schools (LSU, Weber State, and Simon Frasier). I think about this hire kind of like I did when Mendenhall first got hired--not a lot of glitz and glamour, but certainly solid.
D
dsmith1212
Schmoe wrote:
He is currently an Ocoordinator at Simon Fraser.


Canada, eh? So, is he going to have to adjust to hundred-yard fields, eleven men on the field, four downs, and one player in motion?


Nope - Simon Fraser is an NCAA school - the only one North of the Border.
D
dsmith1212
But, a good school.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Bo Simon-y Tech? What the freak? That's what is being referred to as career advancement? Please. I'm happy to call him experienced and varied, but not what Bronco had be comparison.



He might end up being a great coach and I will cheer and hope for the best. This thread and the horrible-izing of Doman is laughable! Because he struggled as an OC does not make him a bad qb coach. Lets consider that he has a freshman who was rejected by most on the team and a half pint RB posing as a qb. Funny how after having two QBs who would play in the NFL and Doman earns the label from a HC who "doesn't know much about offense" thought BD was the "best qb coach in the country."
C
Cougs_Rule
I miss John. Hope he coaches someday. Glad Jason is on board. Go Cougs. Can't wait for the spring game.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I like the hire. The 2006 season was my first exposure to BYU football (definitely a good year for that) and I was impressed that when John Beck took the Utah State game off, that Jason Beck stepped in and the team didn't miss a beat. I remember thinking that it takes some extra fortitude, patience, determination, etc. to be ready to go when duty calls, but not always be able to show that effort and be the backup. I remember that he had a good command of the offense and, it might sound silly to say, looked confident on the field. In tune with some of the other postings, sometimes the ones who end up being good coaches were indeed not the best, or starting players. Sometimes the best players turn out to be terrible coaches too. While I was kind of in love with the idea that the full court press for Ty Detmer to come and coach would have been really cool, I am liking this hire as well. It seems to me that the "theme" of the coaching hires is finding ones who can communicate well and mentor the players. Anyone can scream their heads off and intimidate the players to play harder, but I think (please don't crucify me for saying this outrightly) that BYU football needs an added emphasis on the relationship aspect of the game, in any combination among players and coaches. I think the hires of 2J, Beck, and Holliday (don't know enough about Atuaia) are especially emphasizing this. I think Anae focuses on this element as well.



But anyway, I'm a fan of the hire. I think Jason Beck will be a good coach, and I hope that's what we see happen.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.