Archived Topic

Rose's Big Man Problem and Dave Rice

by snoscythe · 2/13/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I think we are seeing the effects of losing Dave Rice this season. He was a player favorite, and a key to BYU's defensive philosophy. He was also one of our best recruiters.



The addition of Kaufusi to the team has added to Rose's woes as well. Certain of the big men (all of whom were recruited by Rice) felt slighted when Rose added a football player to the team who, according to the players, still doesn't have a clue about the offense but still gets minutes when the basketball only players are told their minutes will improve when their grasp of the offense improves--in essence they feel they are on the short end of a horrible double standard.



If this team can't start winning, Rose is going to lose the attention of his guys since some of them don't really know why they are at BYU anymore if the coach that recruited them isn't there, they're losing games, and football players are coming in and taking their minutes away despite failing miserably at the same metric that the coaches state is keeping the bball only guys off the floor.
B
Brayden Green
Interesting. We have major big man problems, and it all starts down low. We have no established inside presence on offense or defense (unless you count attempting to take charges, and big men guarding the 3 point line.)
S
SpiffCoug
We do have an inside presence on Davies. The problem is our wings are so bad shooting from the outside that we can't punish teams for doubling Davies in the post. So they can just keep monstering the post and effectively eliminate both the inside and outside games of BYU's offense by only have to guard the inside game.
G
Guest
The clear problem with this team has got to be the guard play, so I agree the loss of Rice is our biggest problem.



We have some of the streakiest guards in the country, none of whom play an ounce of defense, it's not just a coincidence that every team we play has their best 3 point shooting performance against us.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
I think we are seeing the effects of losing Dave Rice this season. He was a player favorite, and a key to BYU's defensive philosophy.

I thought that Rice was the offensive assistant coach?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Erik Mika is currently ranked #30 in ESPN's Scout.Inc most recent rankings. Not the #30 center, the #30 player. He is the #6 player in the West. He is the #3 center.
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:
I think we are seeing the effects of losing Dave Rice this season. He was a player favorite, and a key to BYU's defensive philosophy.

I thought that Rice was the offensive assistant coach?


I'm just passing along a synopsis of discussions I have had with two players on the roster over the last few days. That was Rice's title, but both players felt his departure had hurt BYU defensively.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
I'm just passing along a synopsis of discussions I have had with two players on the roster over the last few days. That was Rice's title, but both players felt his departure had hurt BYU defensively.

From a recent article (basically agreeing with you):



"In addition to his roster, Rose may also shake up his staff. BYU is in desperate need of someone who can come in and coach up this team defensively, much like former assistant Heath Schroyer did under Steve Cleveland."



http://deepshadesofblue.com/some-tough-decisions-ahead-for-byus-rose" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
K
KYCoug
I agree with the comments about the parameter defense. Seems to me it's gotten worse as the season progresses. Concerning the bigs, I'm wondering what the feeling is about Coach Pope. I've seen some impressive interior moves from Davis and the others may be too green for his work to show. I don't like hearing about internal conflicts about PT. Haven't seen anyone really step up and earn more than they've gotten, but I also haven't seen our prize Tight End do anything on the floor. All very puzzling but easy to see why the team is struggling. Here's hopping they get it sorted out!



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
The clear problem with this team has got to be the guard play, so I agree the loss of Rice is our biggest problem.



We have some of the streakiest guards in the country, none of whom play an ounce of defense


Carlino is our best man defender. And it's not even close. After that you are right though, none of the other guards are worth their weight in used bandaids.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
The clear problem with this team has got to be the guard play, so I agree the loss of Rice is our biggest problem.



We have some of the streakiest guards in the country, none of whom play an ounce of defense


Carlino is our best man defender. And it's not even close. After that you are right though, none of the other guards are worth their weight in used bandaids.

It's too bad Anson Winder wasn't more consistent on offense because he and Carlino would be very formidable in the WCC.
B
BYULV
Raul Delgado was looking pretty good defensively prior to ticking someone off and not seeing the floor for the past two months. I also can't understand the time Zylstra gets. He is a terrible defender and would be a streaky shooter if he actually had a few more games where he actually scored it well.
B
beauso79
BYULV wrote:
Raul Delgado was looking pretty good defensively prior to ticking someone off and not seeing the floor for the past two months. I also can't understand the time Zylstra gets. He is a terrible defender and would be a streaky shooter if he actually had a few more games where he actually scored it well.


I'm sorry but Rose has to try something different. Might as well give some minutes to Delgado and see what he can do. He's one of the only guys that can shoot the 3
S
SpiffCoug
I'm of the firm opinion that BYU should treat these last five games as if they were pre-season games. Cut back on minutes for Haws and play more of the wings more minutes and find lineups that work.



Try Delgado and Carlino together. Calvert and Cusick. Ambrosino at the three. Calvert Carlino and Delgado. Try some different lineups for five, six minutes at a time.



Get Haws some rest. Get other guys ready for the WCC tournament. I don't think playing Haws 27 minutes instead of 36 greatly changes the outcome of any of the remaining games.
C
Cougs_Rule
Haws faded in his freshman year also. Not criticizing, just wondering if this is a pattern. It's why I would like to see him at the two. And Sharp and Augi at the three. But oh wait, they dont score well, and we don't have any big men who can play decent D beyond Davies, who can get into foul trouble.



I get why the bigs--and I presume that means Harward mostly and maybe Austin, (but he seems to hold his own), but has Harward actually watched himself on game tape? Dude, you are not at Orem High School anymore--even though it has that appearance with Cusick playing. You can't get by just on height! You need some serious development off season. You look like a DII player. Hate to bag on him. He's a great kid and a pretty good family. But, wow. And what else could Rosé do? Harward is only good at one thing--getting fouls. At least Fusi can hold off and box out for some boards and bring the hurt if nothing else. It'll keep the raucous fans interested. ;-)



And as positive as I have been about Rose, does he really need at this point someone to coach up Defense? What gives? doesnt he know drills and schemes? We miss Rice, of course. He was a great all around coach. And I hope the future BYU HC if and when DR hangs it up.



Mika would be competing for Austin's PT and ahead of Fusi and Harward for sure--right now.



As for Carlino and Winder being formidable, hmmm......maybe in a year or two, not this year.



And, one final thought. This isn't a horrible team. The last loss was a crappy convergence of some average D but even more a team that just plain got HOT! All the big boy teams lose games like these every year. We are not that bad and the world isn't ending. This just isn't that great of a team. and BD should be having a banner year and hasn't.
Advertisement
K
KYCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I get why the bigs--and I presume that means Harward mostly and maybe Austin, (but he seems to hold his own), but has Harward actually watched himself on game tape? Dude, you are not at Orem High School anymore--even though it has that appearance with Cusick playing. You can't get by just on height! You need some serious development off season. You look like a DII player. Hate to bag on him. He's a great kid and a pretty good family. But, wow. And what else could Rosé do? Harward is only good at one thing--getting fouls. At least Fusi can hold off and box out for some boards and bring the hurt if nothing else. It'll keep the raucous fans interested. ;-)


Again I have to ask where is Coach Pope amidst all our problems with bigs. I thought he came riding in on a white horse to solve all our problems with bigs?



Just asking??? :whistle:
S
SpiffCoug
KYCoug wrote:
I get why the bigs--and I presume that means Harward mostly and maybe Austin, (but he seems to hold his own), but has Harward actually watched himself on game tape? Dude, you are not at Orem High School anymore--even though it has that appearance with Cusick playing. You can't get by just on height! You need some serious development off season. You look like a DII player. Hate to bag on him. He's a great kid and a pretty good family. But, wow. And what else could Rosé do? Harward is only good at one thing--getting fouls. At least Fusi can hold off and box out for some boards and bring the hurt if nothing else. It'll keep the raucous fans interested. ;-)


Again I have to ask where is Coach Pope amidst all our problems with bigs. I thought he came riding in on a white horse to solve all our problems with bigs?



Just asking??? :whistle:

Everyone seemed to love him last year. Like most fans, we have to find someone to blame.



Some blame the players. Some blame the coaches. Some blame the starters. Some blame the minutes players do or don't get.
C
Cougs_Rule
I think he has helped Davies expand his repertoire of moves, the rest is up to Brandon. but as for the rest, Austin is still a face up player and is not really large/string enough to put his back to the basket. Bt we are just flat out weak right now and haven't recruited well. Shoulda, coulda, woulda got Loveridge, but CC and Rogers were taking up those Schollies. Thus Kaufusi. It was like a football team that does open try-outs on campus for a kicker. Plus, Fusi didn't cost Rose a scholie. Mika, Worthington, and Hartsock are bright spots for the future, but things are bad at the four.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
The clear problem with this team has got to be the guard play, so I agree the loss of Rice is our biggest problem.



We have some of the streakiest guards in the country, none of whom play an ounce of defense


Carlino is our best man defender. And it's not even close. After that you are right though, none of the other guards are worth their weight in used bandaids.

It's too bad Anson Winder wasn't more consistent on offense because he and Carlino would be very formidable in the WCC.


Too true. I really like the defense turning into offense (via steals and fastbreaks) that they create when on the floor together. When Carlino isn't looking to shoot that is a bad combo for us though, because that leads to 0 offense from the guard spots, and we aren't good enough down low to win teams getting 0 from our 1 and 2.
B
Brayden Green
Carlino is solid. He is our pg for now and the future. I really like Calvert



Zylstra and Cusick at the 2 has got to go.... for the time being I would go with Delgado starting, and Winder providing backup minutes.



Haws is good at the three obviously. I would back him up (and move him to the 2 in some instances) with Zylstra and Sharp.



Davies should start at the 4. He's not a good center defensively. He spends way too much time around the 3 line guarding guards anyways, so might as well make it so he isn't the last line of defense.



Spot start at the 5, depending on who is playing well, and matchups. Austin would be my starter for 80% of the time, with Kaufusi coming in to start vs the big man at Zaga, etc.



Sharp, Harward, Kaufusi and Augiie should back up the starting frontcourt.





I think Rose is a fantastic coach doing what he can with his limited rosters, but I think he has the lineup wrong. Of course, coaching is more than putting names on a paper. It is managing personalities. I'm not sure how some of these players would take it if you told them to take a backseat.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.