Archived Topic

The MWC Offensive Player of the Year

by SpiffCoug · 11/23/2009

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I ask this because I fear that the MWC will give it to Dalton because he is on the best team. But is he deserving? I don't think he is. Here's why I favor Max:



1)I'm a BYU fan (so this may disqualify me).

2) MWC Offensive Player of the Week Awards: Hall has four wins and one share. Dalton has two shares.

3) Hall is the conferences all-time leader in passing yards, total offense and passing touchdowns (they previously gave it to a less-deserving UNM RB DonTrell Moore for simply being the MWC's all-time leading rusher)

4) Take Dalton off of BYU and TCU might still be the best team in the conference with TCU's defense, special teams and running game. Take Hall off BYU and the offense goes way south.

5) Hall has the better stats:

Hall: 244-347-14-3234, 28 TDs, 162.45 rating

Dalton: 159-255-5-2256, 18 TDs, 156.04 rating
I
Italics
I was thinking Harvey Unga
L
Lawboy
I'd vote Dalton. He may not have the yards that Max has, but his Efficiency Rating is very close, he has more rushing yards, he has lead his team to a 11-0 record thus far, and he is good enough to have earned it. Winning matters to me for this award and at the end of the day, I take 12-0 and BCS bowl over 10-2 and LV Bowl. Max had a great year, but Dalton has a fantastic year.
S
SpiffCoug
Lawboy wrote:
I'd vote Dalton. He may not have the yards that Max has, but his Efficiency Rating is very close, he has more rushing yards, he has lead his team to a 11-0 record thus far, and he is good enough to have earned it. Winning matters to me for this award and at the end of the day, I take 12-0 and BCS bowl over 10-2 and LV Bowl. Max had a great year, but Dalton has a fantastic year.

So for you it's not an offensive production award but a team win award?
G
Guest
Hall by a mile... leading passer in MWC history. Most wins in MWC history. 89 TD passes (tied with Peyton Manning).



Although I have to admit I was shocked by your post to find out that Dalton has a QB rating of 1,546.04. That is incredible!!!!!
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Good catch. Fixed it.
I
Italics
What would TCU's record without Dalton be?



What would BYU's record without Hall be?
I
Iceman
kitic77 wrote:
s all-time leading rusher)

4) Take Dalton off of BYU and TCU might still be the best team in the conference with TCU's defense, special teams and running game. Take Hall off BYU and the offense goes way south.


Absolutely! Lets get Dalton off of BYU. He's getting heavy. Sorry Kitic77, that was kind of a funny typo, there! :D
G
GolfDiveNCougs
You know, I love what Max has done for the program. As I understand it, no BYU Quarterback has ever taken the team to 3 double-digit-win seasons in a row. The idiots who said we would be better off without him make me sad there are actually fans of the team I love who are that stupid. I love how competative he is, but unfortunately, that's been a part of his downfall. Still, I'll take the bad with the good in this case. I don't want a guy who's just as content not to put it all on his own shoulders (Matt Berry comes to mind...gahhh).



All that said, I couldn't in good conscience say that he is the offensive player of the year. Is he a more skilled and decorated quarterback than Dalton? On their own merits, yes he is. However, Dalton made more of himself this year than Hall did. No, this isn't an award to share with his targets (I think BYU has better offensive help than TCU does too), OR the rest of the team (even THOUGH it would have been nice to have the kind of defense that would have GIVEN Max the time to work Dalton had). I'll grant you that some (most?) of Dalton's credit is due his scheme, but that's okay; this isn't a freestyle dance competition. A QB makes the most of his marching orders. Dalton hasn't deviated from the scheme he's been given, and he's executed that scheme to near-perfection. He's NEVER tried to play outside of his abilities. Nobody can say the same of Max.



Maybe it's the underdog lover in me, maybe it's the persecution complex I have about needing to defend 1984 to detractors. But this race is a microcosm of that season. The Coaches and Media that year didn't rationalize that BYU wasn't the BEST team, they all agreed that BYU was the NUMBER ONE team. There's a difference. And with a team award (like a national championship), the perfection is (or once was, anyway) the catalyst. There were "better" teams with prettier wins, but BYU took a back seat to precisely NOBODY, and nobody else could say that. With an individual award there doesn't necessarily need to be perfection, but in this case Dalton HIMSELF didn't take a back seat to anybody, and Max can't say that.



I love Max. He'll go down as one of the greats. No way to place him exactly, but one of. It just wasn't meant to be for him this year.



(Flame on!!!)
B
blue buddha
I love Max, and agree that he will go down as one of the BYU greats (tho may take a few years for fans to recognize how great he has been) and he is very deserving of the award, but I voted Dalton. Not only due to going undefeated, but I am impressed with what Dalton has done in the big games. In their biggest games he came up huge. Hall had the better stats but I think this award should me more than who has the best stats, what do they do when it really counts. BYU's offense is often a top 10 offense, but TCU's offense never is..til this year (ranked fourth in the nation).



edited to clarify lack of clarificaciousness.
Advertisement
B
blue42
Lawboy wrote:
I'd vote Dalton. He may not have the yards that Max has, but his Efficiency Rating is very close, he has more rushing yards, he has lead his team to a 11-0 record thus far, and he is good enough to have earned it. Winning matters to me for this award and at the end of the day, I take 12-0 and BCS bowl over 10-2 and LV Bowl. Max had a great year, but Dalton has a fantastic year.


Oh this is absolutey brilliant because this is the exact thinking that will not allow Max to win.



Let's look at numbers:



Total yards

Dalton 2733: 2256 passing, 477 rushing

Hall 3293: 3234 passing, 59 rushing

Advantage Hall



% of team's total offensive yards

Dalton 52%

Hall 66%

Advantage Hall



% of team points scored

Dalton 29%

Hall 46%

Advantage Hall



We already know that Hall's efficiency rating is better than Dalton's

Advantage Hall



So because of all this you stated Dalton will win it because his rating is close to Hall's, this is the exact thinking of those so called expert sports writers from the other board that will not be named, and because of this crap Dalton will win it because TCU is undefeated not because he is the best offensive player. You give Max the same defense that Dalton has and Hall would have been undefeated the last two seasons.
B
byutx
Let's call the award by its real name. It's not really the "Offensive Player of the Year" award, it's the:



"QB for the best team, unless that team is BYU, in which case it's the best player on a decent team that could be remotely considered an offensive player of the year candidate (also known as the Chad Hall Memorial)" award.



I swear those who vote for these things (MWC media) go out of their way to short BYU whenever they can. If BYU were having TCU's success this year but another MWC QB was having Max Hall's success this year, that other QB would be the guy.
M
Mars


Dalton.



OPotY is like the Heisman. Stats are important, but not the whole story.



Hall vs. Florida State, TCU, and Utah.

Dalton vs. Clemson, BYU, and Utah.



That's the difference, turnovers and wins/losses in big games. Just like it was last year.
S
Schmoe
Last year was a JOKE! Johnson had about half the numbers that Hall did, Asiata and Sakoda were more deserving even, and they were on his team.
S
SpiffCoug
byutx wrote:
Let's call the award by its real name. It's not really the "Offensive Player of the Year" award, it's the:



"QB for the best team, unless that team is BYU, in which case it's the best player on a decent team that could be remotely considered an offensive player of the year candidate (also known as the Chad Hall Memorial)" award.



I swear those who vote for these things (MWC media) go out of their way to short BYU whenever they can. If BYU were having TCU's success this year but another MWC QB was having Max Hall's success this year, that other QB would be the guy.


Case in point: this weeks MWC Defensive Player of the Week. The award was won by Utah's Joe Dale. His stats: 5 tackles, 1 INT, 1INT returned for a TD.



By comparison, here's a BYU player, Andrew Rich, and what he did against a better offense (Air Force vs SDSU): 7 tackles, 2 INTs, 1 forced fumble.



Apparently a defensive player scoring a touchdown happens with such infrequency that when it does, that player should rewarded for doing the completely unexpected. Clearly one turnover in a 31-point win is much more important and played a much larger role in preserving that win than three turnovers in a 17-point win.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.