Archived Topic

Now it's our turn who do we get?

by trueblue72 · 2/11/2013

Advertisement
T
trueblue72
Bronco said last week on signing day that they would "start back up Monday" with regards to the vacant coaching positions.



So who do we get.... Come on Lawboy fill us in!



We've all heard Clark, Ja. Beck, Paul Peterson, et al. who else is in the mix for these openings?
B
byucougar1
Judging from who Anae has hired up to this point, it appears to be former BYU players who played in and around his timeframe, understand the legacy of BYU created under Edwards, and bring a perspective outside of BYU. 2J and Mark A. also had the BYU swagger/confidence of past successful teams and will be expected to instill this type of attitude into the program.
C
Cougarbib
Coaches said they did not want to hire just anyone and that is why coaching hiring went on hild until recruiting finished.



Since this has been the year of surprises

Doman, Cahoon, and Dupaix gone

Anae back

Arod nearly coming

DE to Utah - Co OC



Why not

Chico and Gary Crowton to BYU as position coaches. That would be a surprise.



Realistically



IDK - We just know that Anae said it will not be just anybody and Tom Holmoe said it will all be good.



We also know Dennis Erickson will not be coming to Provo, but we already knew that.



Non LDS surprise?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
Judging from who Anae has hired up to this point, it appears to be former BYU players who played in and around his timeframe, understand the legacy of BYU created under Edwards, and bring a perspective outside of BYU. 2J and Mark A. also had the BYU swagger/confidence of past successful teams and will be expected to instill this type of attitude into the program.


The former DM Cougar aka Cougs Rule surprisingly has not commented on how the recent Anae quote about hiring Atuaia because he is so much like Lance Reynolds fits into his various conspiracy theories. In fact, nobody has mentioned that quote.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
The rumors, if you believe there are any legs to them, indicate that the candidates being considered are Jason Beck, Steve Clark and Mike Canales.



Canales is interesting in that he does not fit the BYU mold (former USU player) and spent three seasons at South Florida prior to becomin the OC at North TX. Claim to fame is that as the QB coach at North Carolina State, he coached current NFL Pro Bowl quarterback Philip Rivers.



Don't know about any other rumors to date other than some speculation about what a good idea it would be to pursue D. Simmons (former BYU LB and current WR coach under Mike Leach at WSU).
Advertisement
S
scott715
I think we will hire Dennis Erickson away for the U to retaliated for the A rod affair.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
I think we will hire Dennis Erickson away for the U to retaliated for the A rod affair.


Maybe U worked so hard to get A-Rod back to get even with Anae for turning them down for Co-OC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Seems like A-Rod will now be buried behind Erickson and BJ. Not sure how this hire fits into his career aspirations.
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
Seems like A-Rod will now be buried behind Erickson and BJ. Not sure how this hire fits into his career aspirations.


That plus U gotta believe there will be heat on the hill if Kwhitt does not show progress this year. PAC is big-time and A-Rod may like having that on his resume. Probably the money was better. But that deck could get swept clean with another losing season.



U got some good recruits. Not many amazing recruits, if any. How fast can they show results?



At best - U will be in a dog fight almost every week and will lose their share of the fights.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
trueblue72
Ok all of you informed people with sources... What are you hearing about the coaching positions? Feed me I need some new BYU football news.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I think Golden Era (80s to mid 90s) Cougar fans and Vai Sikahema will be pleased with things as they come out over the next week or so.



I also think neither new hire will come from the current FBS coaching ranks.
C
Cougarbib
trueblue72 wrote:
Ok all of you informed people with sources... What are you hearing about the coaching positions? Feed me I need some new BYU football news.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Count me as an uninformed people with dwindling sources. My sources in AD office never tell me snything and I never ask. They would not tell me if I did ask. One would definitely know.



My two star player sources have graduated over the past two seasons and would not likely know this kind of stuff anyway.



Cobsider me useless. Many already do. :) :)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
I think Golden Era (80s to mid 90s) Cougar fans and Vai Sikahema will be pleased with things as they come out over the next week or so.



I also think neither new hire will come from the current FBS coaching ranks.


Both of these are reasonable guesses based on choices made so far and based on who is making them.



But - I have to ask - Do you know something?



BTW - had Lawboy died?



Vai Sikahema - Receivers and Special Teams

That Poly QB from UH that used to shred us at QB Coach



Consider those unreasonable guesses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
I think Golden Era (80s to mid 90s) Cougar fans and Vai Sikahema will be pleased with things as they come out over the next week or so. I also think neither new hire will come from the current FBS coaching ranks.

Hmmm... I don't have any Poly names left on my lists:



Steve Clark. Mike Chico Canales. Charlie Stubbs. Max Hall. Dennis Simmons. Scott Brumfield. Eric Drage.
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:
I think Golden Era (80s to mid 90s) Cougar fans and Vai Sikahema will be pleased with things as they come out over the next week or so. I also think neither new hire will come from the current FBS coaching ranks.

Hmmm... I don't have any Poly names left on my lists:



Steve Clark. Mike Chico Canales. Charlie Stubbs. Max Hall. Dennis Simmons. Scott Brumfield. Eric Drage.


Shawn Nua has come across my radar as a possibility.
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
Cougarbib wrote:
Ok all of you informed people with sources... What are you hearing about the coaching positions? Feed me I need some new BYU football news.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Count me as an uninformed people with dwindling sources. My sources in AD office never tell me snything and I never ask. They would not tell me if I did ask. One would definitely know.



My two star player sources have graduated over the past two seasons and would not likely know this kind of stuff anyway.



Cobsider me useless. Many already do. :) :)





[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Useless, Bib? Nah.



Growing up my Dad always told me, "Son, you'll never be completely useless. You can always serve as a bad example."
B
BroncoBot
I think BYU is being very smart about who they are hiring. This should pay dividends in the long run.
M
mjk5
1967cougar wrote:

Growing up my Dad always told me, "Son, you'll never be completely useless. You can always serve as a bad example."

Fantastic; I'll be using that one in the future



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
BroncoBot wrote:
I think BYU is being very smart about who they are hiring. This should pay dividends in the long run.


As opposed to being very dumb about who they fired? Namely, Cahoon?

This is just a classic case of over-correction, mixed with a little bit of bad ARod luck. The position coaches will only be as good as the Coordinator. This wringing hands routine by Bronco is fairly misplaced, IMO. But then again, maybe Doman wasn't "the best qb coach in the country." Poop or get Off the potty already.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.