Archived Topic

USF scores 60 in second half

by BroncoBot · 2/10/2013

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
That's all.
W
Wolverine
BroncoBot wrote:
That's all.


Good thing it wasn't 61 ;)
S
Schmoe
If only Cougest was here to tell us how awesome our basketball team is and how Dave Rose is the best coach in anything ever. Funny how he hasn't been posting much lately...
Q
Qman
Don't give up hope yet. We just need to win the WCC tourney.
S
SpiffCoug
Qman wrote:
Don't give up hope yet. We just to win the WCC tourney.

This should be BYU's focus. I would cut back on Haws' minutes between now and the WCC. He's clearly tired and needs rest. I'd start playing him 10 fewer minutes. He needs to be fresh for March.
Advertisement
G
gmj81
SpiffCoug wrote:
Don't give up hope yet. We just to win the WCC tourney.

This should be BYU's focus. I would cut back on Haws' minutes between now and the WCC. He's clearly tired and needs rest. I'd start playing him 10 fewer minutes. He needs to be fresh for March.


Agreed. Gotta get Haws some rest and get the bench players some more time. We've got to develop some more scoring threats.
B
BoiseBYU
Further: 11-12 from three point land. Has anyone every heard of that?
S
Schmoe
BoiseBYU wrote:
Further: 11-12 from three point land. Has anyone every heard of that?


Bad D allowing teams to get into rhythm? Yeah, I've heard of that.
B
BoiseBYU
Schmoe wrote:
Further: 11-12 from three point land. Has anyone every heard of that?


Bad D allowing teams to get into rhythm? Yeah, I've heard of that.


I do not think the defense was that bad--at least to explain 11-12 3-point shooting. I doubt they do not make that many shots in practice uncontested.....
S
Schmoe
BoiseBYU wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
Further: 11-12 from three point land. Has anyone every heard of that?


Bad D allowing teams to get into rhythm? Yeah, I've heard of that.


I do not think the defense was that bad--at least to explain 11-12 3-point shooting. I doubt they do not make that many shots in practice uncontested.....


It's strange that teams shoot so well against us when our D is so good, isn't it? I'd say it's exploitation of our zone schemes. Yes, there's some chance involved, but this has happened too often this season for it to be dumb luck by other teams.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
BoiseBYU wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
Further: 11-12 from three point land. Has anyone every heard of that?


Bad D allowing teams to get into rhythm? Yeah, I've heard of that.


I do not think the defense was that bad--at least to explain 11-12 3-point shooting. I doubt they do not make that many shots in practice uncontested.....


I'm pretty pessimistic about this too, and the defense should have seriously stepped it up and put a halt to it, but 11 of 12 from beyond the arc is nuts. Even the best in the NBA, standing unguarded probably don't make that. If I was in the SanFran locker room, I would be making fun of the guy who missed the one 3 of the half.



Here's my explanation, which is meaningless: It's probably one of those random times in the game that comes around every long once in awhile where the team is just clicking. It's that one time in the gym after school where you can't freakin miss. It's the one time where you hit every freakin shot no matter what and you and the hoop are just connected on some subconscious level, and there's nothing people can do about it. It's the old school, NBA Jam "he's on fiiire!!" manifestation. For some reason, it happened to SanFran, for those shooting the 3, against us. So, that sucks.



But, I'm sure we've all been there. A friend and I totally lit up some Chinese guys in the Rice U rec center last fall. They were actually really good and I hadn't played in forever. I don't think I hit a shot even while warming up. Then I nail some clutch 3s, some other jumpers, and dish some assists like I'm Kendall Marshall, Rajon Rondo or something. Of course I pretend it's all a part of my everyday game. But whatever. I suck 99% of the rest of the time. Seriously, a friend in Springville asks me to go play from time to time, and the first question I ask is something like, "The other guys aren't going to be very good are they?" Seriously.



The ultimate "on fire" or "in the zone" athletic performance of mine was probably the every-man-for-himself, 150+ person, double open gym dodgeball game at Tulane, circa spring 2003. I dipped, ducked, dove, and dodged my way to the win and totally felt like I could conquer the world/run for Congress/keep a girlfriend afterward.



Go on, make fun of me, I'm ready for it. You just wish you could be in the zone against Far Easterners in b-ball like me and/or measure your self-efficacy with a dodgeball. Okay, this post got way too long.
Y
YNot
USF had a couple of guys with career nights. Adams and Holmes, I think, averaged a COMBINED TOTAL of 11 points per game coming into Saturday's game. They scored a combined 34 on 8 for 11 three-point shooting. That's ridiculous. And that was the difference in the game.



Kudos for USF for hitting their shots on the road in front of 10K+ Cougar fans. Replay the last 10 minutes on another night and USF would not finish 11 for 12 from the three. But, they were taking wide open shots. That is on our defense.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.