Archived Topic

About time BYU used JC recruits to fill big gaps

by Lawboy · 2/7/2013

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
We went after 7 JC players, most on the Oline. We usually get 1-3 per year. Guess how many Utah went after? 7. Even the BCS schools use JC players to fill gaps and elevate their talent levels.



Bronco needs to go get 3-4 JC kids per class and to address immediate issues.



Hoping he Oline players we got work out. That unit needed massive help. They were very poor up the middle last year, and had a 3-year starter at RT to replace. Glad we have depth now. Perhaps the Spring scrimmage will be fun to watch.
N
nuk13
I agree. I remember 2 Ricks college players that ended up pros. One was a poly that was a guard on the Raven's line. I believe he has a SB ring. The other was a guy named Clark that was a 49er tight end. I believe a certain former Heisman winner, now in jail, played JC ball as well. JC can season kids that aren't ready out of high school to play at the D I level.
S
snoscythe
nuk13 wrote:
I agree. I remember 2 Ricks college players that ended up pros. One was a poly that was a guard on the Raven's line. I believe he has a ring. The other was a guy named Clark that was a 49er tight end. I believe a certain former Heisman winner, now in jail, played JC ball as well. JC can season kids that aren't ready out of high school to play at the D I level.


Spencer Nead, Cam Jensen, Jonny Harline, and John Denney were all Ricks products who made it to the NFL. Dennis Pitta was slated to go to Ricks before they cancelled the program.



Ricks was nice because it was a place BYU could park recruits who were borderline on academics and if things went well they'd get called up in 2 years.
B
byufan4ever
I really really wish Ricks College/BYU-I still had sports teams. Sad.. :~(
T
trueblue72
byufan4ever wrote:
I really really wish Ricks College/BYU-I still had sports teams. Sad.. :~(


Besides the fact that it was an awesome feeder school to BYU, that town is even more boring now that they discontinued collegiate athletics.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
scott715
Why can't they split the BYU-I into" two schools". A JC and a Upper Division school. They they could have a two year sports program.
S
SpiffCoug
So have we seen Bronco finally decide that BYU can't sustain its football program on HS players? That with missions and given the attrition rate of non-mission/non-LDS players, it is simply not feasible to maintain the program at a level high enough without some stop-gap, short-term players?



That not using JC players, creates too many holes in depth charts and player timelines?
J
jvquarterback
SpiffCoug wrote:
So have we seen Bronco finally decide that BYU can't sustain its football program on HS players? That with missions and given the attrition rate of non-mission/non-LDS players, it is simply not feasible to maintain the program at a level high enough without some stop-gap, short-term players?



That not using JC players, creates too many holes in depth charts and player timelines?


Sure but that is true of every school in the country outside USC, Alabama, osu, lsu,Florida and maybe a couple others.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
Although I think this has less to do with evaluating the data and realizing that jc recruits at the best mid tier bcs schools comprise 30-40% of each recruiting class than it has to do with the change in missionary age.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
jvquarterback wrote:
I think this has less to do with evaluating the data... than it has to do with the change in missionary age.

Bingo!
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
snoscythe wrote:
I agree. I remember 2 Ricks college players that ended up pros. One was a poly that was a guard on the Raven's line. I believe he has a ring. The other was a guy named Clark that was a 49er tight end. I believe a certain former Heisman winner, now in jail, played JC ball as well. JC can season kids that aren't ready out of high school to play at the D I level.


Spencer Nead, Cam Jensen, Jonny Harline, and John Denney were all Ricks products who made it to the NFL. Dennis Pitta was slated to go to Ricks before they cancelled the program.



Ricks was nice because it was a place BYU could park recruits who were borderline on academics and if things went well they'd get called up in 2 years.


Jason Buck got his college start at Ricks as well. Other JC's are good sources of talent who have academic problems or of late bloomers, but Ricks was great because those kids got the "church school" experience while going through the development.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.