Archived Topic

Poor Time Management

by Cougarbib · 2/7/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Under Bronco, BYU has been criticised for poor game clock management.



Bronco recently said he never wants to have coaching changes collide with National Letter of Intent day again. And yet, once again, BYU orchestrated a drawn out process where all coaches were asked to interview for their own jobs while Bronco headed for vacation.



Perhaps next time the offensive coaching staff fails to meet expectations that vacation should be postponed - priority or not. And the facesaving process to allow some guys to quit and move elsewhere is too costly in time.



This is twice in three seasons.



Bronco said we only lost one recruit because of it. It is impossible to know that. It would be more precise to say only one recruit gave that reason for flip flipping or not committing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
Thanks for the insight, Eeyore.
1
1967cougar
Bib, I love ya! But I gotta chime in and disagree on the vacation point. In the small little chunk of the world I move around in, I admit that my job is not high profile or even remotely critical. But to my boss, who owns this little company, it's an integral part. If I schedule a vacation and something important comes up that necessitates my remaining at work, I go on vacation. End of discussion. I am always asked to stay after and work longer. I always refuse. I tell my boss, "If you want me to spend extra time, I'll come in one, two, or even three hours early. but I won't stay late. My time between 5:00 and bedtime is the most important time in my life and I won't allow it to be intruded upon."



Postpone a scheduled vacation. Nope. Nothing Bronco does is so important that family time should be rescheduled. And if his employers disagree, well, there are other jobs out there.



Sorry. That's just my take. But, then again, as an extremely avid Cougar fan, I have no problem with football being #5 on the priority list either. In fact, that's one of the reason I am such an avid fan!
S
SpiffCoug
I'm with 1967.
E
EM_Puma
Here! Here! 1967. I love that statement: "My time between 5:00 and bedtime is the most important time in my life and I won't allow it to be intruded upon."



I've had employers though that if you didn't do that extra time into the evening, it was like the 1-3 hours early never happened. Strange, but that's the truth in a lot of situations.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
1967cougar wrote:
then again, as an extremely avid Cougar fan, I have no problem with football being #5 on the priority list either. In fact, that's one of the reason I am such an avid fan!


+1 1967.



I didn't get to see any footage of the coaches yesterday but I heard Gunther and Graham play Bronco discussing the football is 5th mentality and the number of times he stressed that he has been "asked" to focus on spirtualality, service, and other things before football. I thought it was interesting that he stressed it and I think it's something important for the fans to think about when the want a different coach due to Bronco's priorties. BYU's priorities wont change with the coaches.



The football is 5th dig on Bronco is one of my top 5 annoyances with anti-Bronco's.
C
Cougarbib
I do nit have any issue with football being 5th priority except in a circumstance like this that exposes the program at a time and curcumstance that is due to a shirtcoming in hiw I performed. Bronco is a very good coach but has floundered in iffensive coaching staff selection.



Knowing this, I just think he should have scheduled his vacation in a different time window. He deserves a vacation and should schedule one.



My brother retired early because he was not allowed to schedule a vacation during the annual deer hunt - they made him rotate on-call duty every other year. He felt very right about that then. Now. IDK.



I was in IS. When we had a production issue - it was "all hands on deck". It was the nature if the profession.



This was just a bad time of year to schedule a vacation.



I think the first time Bronco is vacationing in between Christmas and Jan 7 in a year we play fir the NC a few more of you will agree that such timing is poor.



I would have no issue at all if BYU was not overhauling the recently overhauled coaching staff again.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
So you wanted Bronco to cancel his vacation... AND outright fire a bunch of coaches right after the end of the season (which, but the way, is just before Christmas) just to potentially appease some unknown 17 or 18 year olds? Good call Ebenezer... Keep this up and you'll soon be getting a visit from this guy...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110928015408/disney/images/d/de/Carol-disneyscreencaps_com-3083.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
Cougarbib wrote:
I do nit have any issue with football being 5th priority except in a circumstance like this that exposes the program at a time and curcumstance that is due to a shirtcoming in hiw I performed. Bronco is a very good coach but has floundered in iffensive coaching staff selection.



Knowing this, I just think he should have scheduled his vacation in a different time window. He deserves a vacation and should schedule one.



My brother retired early because he was not allowed to schedule a vacation during the annual deer hunt - they made him rotate on-call duty every other year. He felt very right about that then. Now. IDK.



I was in IS. When we had a production issue - it was "all hands on deck". It was the nature if the profession.



This was just a bad time of year to schedule a vacation.



I think the first time Bronco is vacationing in between Christmas and Jan 7 in a year we play fir the NC a few more of you will agree that such timing is poor.



I would have no issue at all if BYU was not overhauling the recently overhauled coaching staff again.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I dont necessarily disagree with you on this. Whatever the reason, it wasn't handled very well with the coaching changes not being resolved before NLI day. I don't know the calander of a college coach well enough to say if there is a better time of year or not for Bronco to take a vacation. Just wanted to partially hi-jack your thread and mention how Bronco had pointed out that football being 5th wasn't necessarily his decision.
C
Cougarbib
When I reflect on my most exceptional empliyees, I have two that come to mind. Neither wete work-a-holics.



One had exceptional people skills and understood priorities. He went on to become a direct report to Bill Gates before retiring early. He had special need children and managed to find the time to be a part if that including leadership in the national organuzation fighting the disease. His business success enabled him to retire early. He recently posted pictures on Facebook of his passion for woodworking. He knew how to manage his time and that enabled success at work within higher priorities.



The 2nd one achieved less fame, but was as close to an 8 to fiver as you will ever find as a CIO. And, yet, he was very successful. He had incredible time management skills. He never wasted one second. He understood priorities.



Both, on occasion, had to burn some midnight oil when things mattered most - but both normally enjoyed quality time outside of work. Neither were LDS, but both highly valued time away from work.



Think of the first one as Dave Rose. His incredible people skills probably earned some occasional slack.



Think of the 2nd guy as Bronco. He sometimes came up short on schmoozing stake-holders and thus would have gotten little slack if a mis-step occurred.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
So you wanted Bronco to cancel his vacation... AND outright fire a bunch of coaches right after the end of the season (which, but the way, is just before Christmas) just to potentially appease some unknown 17 or 18 year olds? Good call Ebenezer... Keep this up and you'll soon be getting a visit from this guy...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110928015408/disney/images/d/de/Carol-disneyscreencaps_com-3083.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do yoy really think this charade helped Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon? BYU is in a crisis, did not get who they went after, and still did not keep these guys who are hanging around. There are other ways to be kind - like severance pay - that help them focus immediately on their job search at the time when programs are hiring. Now it is leftover time. This was not kind.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
I love the inherent irony of people who frequent online fansites with 500+ word posts criticizing the time management skills of others.
T
tww
This thread is classic. It is pretty easy to figure out by responses who are the business owners, the employees, and the attorneys.



It's a CC version of the blind men and the elephant.
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib wrote:

Do yoy really think this charade helped Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon? BYU is in a crisis, did not get who they went after, and still did not keep these guys who are hanging around. There are other ways to be kind - like severance pay - that help them focus immediately on their job search at the time when programs are hiring. Now it is leftover time. This was not kind.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Fair question, but let me ask you this... Do you really think that this way of handeling the transition really cost us any recruits? As has been posted before, the only recruit who even mentioned it was a guy on the other side of the ball, these things don't cost us recruits, recruits use it as a cover story for finding a differnt school... and "Crisis" seems a bit over the top to describe BYU's current state of affairs
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:

Do yoy really think this charade helped Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon? BYU is in a crisis, did not get who they went after, and still did not keep these guys who are hanging around. There are other ways to be kind - like severance pay - that help them focus immediately on their job search at the time when programs are hiring. Now it is leftover time. This was not kind.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Fair question, but let me ask you this... Do you really think that this way of handeling the transition really cost us any recruits? As has been posted before, the only recruit who even mentioned it was a guy on the other side of the ball, these things don't cost us recruits, recruits use it as a cover story for finding a differnt school... and "Crisis" seems a bit over the top to describe BYU's current state of affairs


My bad. I thought it was a bit of a crisis. IDK and YDK how many recruits that might have considered coming here never even responded to calls during what Bronco himsekf described in a dramatic shift in recruiting objectives that occurred late in the game.



Our recruiting coordinator was taken out of the picture. Three coaches are still left dangling.



Bronco described how he personally had to set coaching search aside - not said, but cleRly leaving applicants and their programs dangling - while he did damage cobtrol with potential recruits by personally visiting them and answering the tough questions he expected.



The world is not ending, but ARod flip-flopped, Detmer said no along with all other big name wish list coaches. Maybe a rabbit wilk come out of the hat, but yes - we have a bit of a crisis.



I am not anti-Bronco. Rarely do I criticize the man. Often do I support him when others do.



This was just poor planning imho.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Cougarbib wrote:
I thought it was a bit of a crisis. IDK and YDK how many recruits that might have considered coming here never even responded to calls during what Bronco himsekf described in a dramatic shift in recruiting objectives that occurred late in the game.


You must live a frightful existence where you admit you don't know something, and therefore it must be a crisis.
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:

Do yoy really think this charade helped Doman, Dupaix, and Cahoon? BYU is in a crisis, did not get who they went after, and still did not keep these guys who are hanging around. There are other ways to be kind - like severance pay - that help them focus immediately on their job search at the time when programs are hiring. Now it is leftover time. This was not kind.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Fair question, but let me ask you this... Do you really think that this way of handeling the transition really cost us any recruits? As has been posted before, the only recruit who even mentioned it was a guy on the other side of the ball, these things don't cost us recruits, recruits use it as a cover story for finding a differnt school... and "Crisis" seems a bit over the top to describe BYU's current state of affairs


There is no way to know how much this hurt. My experience as a manager is thar people rarely give the full and correct reasons why they flip flop or quit or are not interested.



IDK how this will affect due to late start cohesiveness of the new staff and preparation for Spring.



IDK how lobg this will drag out or how qualified the candidates will be.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib wrote:



The world is not ending, but ARod flip-flopped, Detmer said no along with all other big name wish list coaches.


We lucked out by having the Ute stay a Ute. He was definitely a downgrade in that position, a desperation move to get the second most productive out of town. Now they have time to decide what to do with that coaching position, I'm confident that they will put something in place better than we would have had had the Ute kept his word. To be clear, we dodged a bullet by having the Ute not come, I don't know how many times we'll be that lucky
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
I thought it was a bit of a crisis. IDK and YDK how many recruits that might have considered coming here never even responded to calls during what Bronco himsekf described in a dramatic shift in recruiting objectives that occurred late in the game.


You must live a frightful existence where you admit you don't know something, and therefore it must be a crisis.


Proactive people utilize instinct and anticipation. That is what I am suggesting Bronco should have done - based on past experience. 2010 was not that long ago and he did the same thing. This time turned out worse than last time due to desired candidates saying no.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Cougarbib wrote:
This time turned out worse than last time due to desired candidates saying no.


They haven't even announced the new coaches, much less played any games with those new coaches, so how can you say it has already turned out worse than last time?????



IMHO, last time Bronco made the mistake of making a snap decision to promote Doman. I'm glad to see that he is taking his time and worrying more about getting things right than getting it done fast. You've yet to point to anyone recruit of significance that would have come to BYU but-for the flux in coaching, yet you're already declaring it a crisis (based on something you admit you cannot know) and declaring this time as worse than another time when (i) we don't even know who the new hires are, and (ii) the metric by which they will and should be judged (actual performance of their players on the field during the season) is simply unknown.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.