Archived Topic

Mission Age Change

by scott715 · 2/5/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Yes, it could help for those high profile LDS athletes that are committed to missionary service. I don't know how many of them are out there, but there are probably a few that will come BYU's way.
F
Fido
It may also eliminate that Red Shirt/Gray Shirt year that some kids have to burn prior to leaving on a mission. My son is approaching college age as a soccer player and the coach was saying he prefers the kids to just go right out of school so they get you 4 straight years when you are back.



But I hadn't considered the angle you mentioned. 8)
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I think there's a lot of reasons to like how the mission age change can benefit the program. An 18 year old HS prospect indicates the intent to join the team, then prior to any enrollment goes on the mission for two years. Coming back at age 20, they can either take a redshirt year (to work the scout team, get accustomed to the system, get accustomed to college life, etc.) or a grayshirt year, depending on twhen they arrive back. At 21 they begin playing and have hopefully developed a degree of life stability that they will be ongoing contributions to the team for four straight years, not to mention the stability of working toward their degree without disruption. If they don't use any redshirt year following mission, then it allows the chance to use one later if there's an injury. Burning it before the mission can mess with that opportunity.



I'm sure there's others out there who would agree. The two year absence, book-ended by college enrollment is hard on many levels. Here's just one. I left Tulane after my freshman year to serve, then came back my sophomore year and when I took a math class I felt like a dummy. I hadn't even thought of math for over two years by that point and the learning curve hurt. I think I would have rather had the mission completed, and started college and had that adjustment time all at once rather than go to college, leave, come back, readjust, keep going to college. That pathway kind of sucked.



So, I think the age change helps with streamlined contribution to the team. It helps with streamlining the college experience. And, here's the one that will boost the missionary numbers--the streamlined socialization of leaving home at 18. I imagine that the one year disruption had opened the door for many young men to opt for other routes in life and not serve. Regardless of opportunity to screw up worthiness--just going and entering college or working or whatever for a year just opens up opportunity for other aspects of life. In the words of Michael Scott, it's a win-win-win scenario. Athletics, education, life. So yeah, go church for doing this.
H
HoosierCougar
Will this help BYU's progeress to graduation numbers as well (I forget the actual name)?



Since students won't have a 7 year span with a freshman year, 2 mission years then 3-5 post mission years?
Advertisement
S
scott715
Yes you are right it would. The clock would starts their first year.
C
Cougarfan87
scott715 wrote:
Yes you are right it would. The clock would starts their first year.


That is a very interesting point. All of a sudden, BYU's academic prestige will get a great boost.
G
Guest
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Yes you are right it would. The clock would starts their first year.


That is a very interesting point. All of a sudden, BYU's academic prestige will get a great boost.


Exactly, this was the first thing I thought of when they announced the mission age change at conference. :blush: :whistle: :D
S
scott715
http://deepshadesofblue.com/byu-entering-a-new-world-of-recruiting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



In the past, only members of the coaching staff could evaluate players and schools were limited in the amount of communication they could have with prospects. That changes this next recruiting cycle. During Bronco Mendenhall’s signing day press conference on Wednesday, he said schools will now put in place player personnel departments similar to those in the professional leagues to evaluate players. He also mentioned that BYU would follow suit with the rest of the country.



Such a development will give BYU the manpower to better evaluate top prospects from around the country, LDS or not. It will help BYU greatly expand its current recruiting base and help its athletic programs identify top athletes who could be a fit for living the school’s honor code.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.