What will it take for the Cougs to make the tourney?
by Schmoe · 1/31/2013
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Looking at the rest of our schedule, I really think that we will beat everyone left on the schedule except Gonzaga. But I'm left wondering if that will be enough to get us into the tourney. Whatch'y'all think?
A
ABYUFAN
I was thinking about this yesterday - I say if we go undefeated all the way up until the conference championship game we'd be a #2 seed, and face Gonzaga in the championship game with 26 or 27 wins (I can't remember the rounds in the tourney) I think we would get in no matter if we won the tourney or not, but it would take being 27-7 afterwards to do that.
I'll say this again. I like this team. We're a good, not great team. I see us making a long NIT run this year and I'm good with that
A
ABYUFAN
Double post (sorry - I'm trying to artificially inflate my post count)
C
Cougs_Rule
If we beat SMC and everybody else , but the Zags, we get in. BYU will get a pass for not beating a legit 2 seed in the big dance.
But if we lose to Hellavadiva as well, we go to the NIT.
I think it will take two wins between now and the NCAAs against Zags and SMC. I think potentially we have at least three games against them and possibly even four.
Advertisement
D
drewage81
They need to win out. Need to take care of th zags at home and maybe even in the conf. Tourney. If they dont beat them at least once then they dont have any wins over a top 25 opponents.
G
Guest
At this point the essentially need to win the conference tournament, but before the Pepperdine game I said beat the Gaels but lose to the Zags.
C
Cougarbib
It will take a miracle - But Magic Happens.
Play them one game at a time and let the chips fall.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
BYU's RPI today is 39. Our RPI last season, when we made the NCAA Tourny, was 46.
BYU is predicted to lose @ St. Mary's and to Gonzaga, and finish with an RPI of about 45.
Should BYU win out, our final regular season RPI would be around 27.
B
BroncoBot
rpi 27, win at least share of conference season title - tourney bound!
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
According to ESPN, we are already in as an "at large".
I think BYU makes it in to at least a play in game, with a good showing (3rd place finish or better) in the conference tourney.
The better teams we win, the better that will be for us. But I think we are tourney bound with another loss to Gonzaga and SMU, as long as we win Utah State and the rest of the WCC.
BYU has a ridiculous RPI, and that is something that will get them in, as long as they do the above.
S
Schmoe
I guess, since I started this thread, I should throw in my $0.02: I think we'll need to beat SMC in the regular season and then beat them again in the conference tourney (or also pull off a win vs the Zags, which isn't gonna happen).
M
Mars
BYU made it in last year after going 1-5 against St. Mary's and Gonzaga. I think this season, BYU needs to win 2 of those games. Our RPI is better (see: road/neutral blow-outs to good statistical foes), but our actual resume (Top 75 wins) is not nearly as good.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.