G
GolfDiveNCougs...at posting pertinent information about important things such as their Bowl Selection procedures on their website (what did you think I was referring to???). :D
I just spent a good chunk of time mapping out the 32 different W-L scenarios for their bowl eligible teams, assuming there was SOME semblance of order to how the Pac-10 sends teams to their Bowl Tie-ins. Then, after pouring over the internet, I was able to find a few sources ASSERTING there is no rhyme nor reason, but nothing concrete. GRRR!!!
Wikipedia cites an ESPN article by Ted Miller in which he cites this:
"The selection rule: If there is a tie for the Pac-10 championship, the head-to-head winner among the tied teams shall be awarded the Conference's top bowl position. In the event of a tie for any position in the standings other than the championship, the selecting bowl may choose its participant from among the tied teams."
Problem is, this is an article from last year. I don't know if it's still accurate (and it's also still ambiguous), since I recall hearing at the end of bowl season last year that the Emerald now gets #4 every year, unless it wants someone different for geographical reasons. It sounds as though the Pac-10 has done some tweaking.
The same guy wrote something else on his blog within the last week, but it's just as ambiguous! http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10
He says:
"Of Oregon State loses, the most likely scenarios have the Beavers dropping all the way to the Las Vegas Bowl, which is the conference's No. 5 bowl. Why? Because there are no tiebreakers in bowl selection procedures. If, say, four teams finish at 6-3 in conference play, the Holiday Bowl can pick any of them it wishes. "
What I know for certain (assuming this ESPN dude is correct AND using updated information (apparently from some SPECIAL internet to which I haven't access)), is that GIVEN a TIE for any spots between 2 and 6 in the Pac-10, the highest bowl gets its pick.
What NOBODY'S saying, is whether or not a Bowl in question (after the Rose, of course) MUST take the team with the best conference record (or, in case of a tie, its choice of the teams with the same conference record). Absurd example to illustrate my question: COULD the Holiday Bowl thumb its nose at spots 2-6 and pick TECHNICALLY bowl-eligible 7th-spotter UCLA ala the MWC contract with the Las Vegas bowl?
Anyone with information by way of links to reliable sources spelling it all out would be my HERO for a day, because I've got a WHOLE lot of scenarios that I'd love to share, but they are absolutely WORTHLESS without knowing what the HECK the Pac-10 idiots are thinking...
:roll:
I just spent a good chunk of time mapping out the 32 different W-L scenarios for their bowl eligible teams, assuming there was SOME semblance of order to how the Pac-10 sends teams to their Bowl Tie-ins. Then, after pouring over the internet, I was able to find a few sources ASSERTING there is no rhyme nor reason, but nothing concrete. GRRR!!!
Wikipedia cites an ESPN article by Ted Miller in which he cites this:
"The selection rule: If there is a tie for the Pac-10 championship, the head-to-head winner among the tied teams shall be awarded the Conference's top bowl position. In the event of a tie for any position in the standings other than the championship, the selecting bowl may choose its participant from among the tied teams."
Problem is, this is an article from last year. I don't know if it's still accurate (and it's also still ambiguous), since I recall hearing at the end of bowl season last year that the Emerald now gets #4 every year, unless it wants someone different for geographical reasons. It sounds as though the Pac-10 has done some tweaking.
The same guy wrote something else on his blog within the last week, but it's just as ambiguous! http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10
He says:
"Of Oregon State loses, the most likely scenarios have the Beavers dropping all the way to the Las Vegas Bowl, which is the conference's No. 5 bowl. Why? Because there are no tiebreakers in bowl selection procedures. If, say, four teams finish at 6-3 in conference play, the Holiday Bowl can pick any of them it wishes. "
What I know for certain (assuming this ESPN dude is correct AND using updated information (apparently from some SPECIAL internet to which I haven't access)), is that GIVEN a TIE for any spots between 2 and 6 in the Pac-10, the highest bowl gets its pick.
What NOBODY'S saying, is whether or not a Bowl in question (after the Rose, of course) MUST take the team with the best conference record (or, in case of a tie, its choice of the teams with the same conference record). Absurd example to illustrate my question: COULD the Holiday Bowl thumb its nose at spots 2-6 and pick TECHNICALLY bowl-eligible 7th-spotter UCLA ala the MWC contract with the Las Vegas bowl?
Anyone with information by way of links to reliable sources spelling it all out would be my HERO for a day, because I've got a WHOLE lot of scenarios that I'd love to share, but they are absolutely WORTHLESS without knowing what the HECK the Pac-10 idiots are thinking...
:roll:

