Archived Topic

3 losses, 1 save

by stuckinbig10country · 1/28/2013

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Since the new coaches took over. This recruiting season has been awful......



We are in serious trouble.
C
Cougs_Rule
Probably ought to include in This equation the additions as well. 2J brought that hefty Center prospect. Are there others? WRs have a tall climb to Two-deep. Not surprised about Weichers.

Not sure this " serious trouble." But possible.
M
Mars


BYU decommits in 2013: Weichers, Laufasa, Orphey, Ragin, Shipley, Claudell Louis. Roderick.
B
BOID
http://byucougars.blogs.deseretnews.com/2012/06/25/binghams-hayden-weichers-commits-to-byu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



For some real irony, review this. Prayed about BYU, received spiritual confirmation that he needed to go to BYU and serve a mission first, commits, and says he's best friends with Billy Green. Then finds out that USU will let him play immediately if he forgoes his mission, and he says his switch is all due to what a great guy GA is. To top it all off, Anderson is now gone. Oh well. Go figure.
C
Cougs_Rule
That's funny Mars. :D
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Well



We have coaching confusion, recruiting coordinator probably gone, fans questioning everyone and everything and until today - a mystery schedule.



Maybe the schedule announcement will help.



Some coaching announcements would be a plus.



Fans called for change - again. Got change - again. The more things change the more fans seem to wish they stayed the same.



Change is painful.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Sammich
Dropping Cahoon for Roderick was a colossal mistake. It's easy to blame lost commits on weak-kneed high school kids, but I can't help but feel that if Cahoon was still here the bleeding would slow down.
I
imuakahuku
I don't see it as bleeding. Whoever they get in would probably do just as well as those they were looking to bring in. Especially since the ones that decommitted evidently were not all that high on going to BYU and so I don't see any of them as a loss. The only loss right now in my book is Cahoon and somewhat Detmer...I wish he would join up-he was and is my all time favorite BYU player so it would be a special treat to see him on the sideline. I also really liked Max so hopefully mad Max sticks around. I love his attitude and the confidence he exuded.
C
Cougarbib
imuakahuku wrote:
I don't see it as bleeding. Whoever they get in would probably do just as well as those they were looking to bring in. Especially since the ones that decommitted evidently were not all that high on going to BYU and so I don't see any of them as a loss. The only loss right now in my book is Cahoon and somewhat Detmer...I wish he would join up-he was and is my all time favorite BYU player so it would be a special treat to see him on the sideline. I also really liked Max so hopefully mad Max sticks around. I love his attitude and the confidence he exuded.


Do you think Max could get the team up for the Utah game?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
I don't see it as bleeding. Whoever they get in would probably do just as well as those they were looking to bring in. Especially since the ones that decommitted evidently were not all that high on going to BYU and so I don't see any of them as a loss. The only loss right now in my book is Cahoon and somewhat Detmer...I wish he would join up-he was and is my all time favorite BYU player so it would be a special treat to see him on the sideline. I also really liked Max so hopefully mad Max sticks around. I love his attitude and the confidence he exuded.


Do you think Max could get the team up for the Utah game?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Considering how poorly Max played versus Utah, I'm not sure I want him doing anything in relation to the Utah game. Yes he won two of three, but not necessarily due to his play. Yes he made plays when needed in those wins, but some better play before then and we don't need the heroics.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:
I don't see it as bleeding. Whoever they get in would probably do just as well as those they were looking to bring in. Especially since the ones that decommitted evidently were not all that high on going to BYU and so I don't see any of them as a loss. The only loss right now in my book is Cahoon and somewhat Detmer...I wish he would join up-he was and is my all time favorite BYU player so it would be a special treat to see him on the sideline. I also really liked Max so hopefully mad Max sticks around. I love his attitude and the confidence he exuded.


Do you think Max could get the team up for the Utah game?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Considering how poorly Max played versus Utah, I'm not sure I want him doing anything in relation to the Utah game. Yes he won two of three, but not necessarily due to his play. Yes he made plays when needed in those wins, but some better play before then and we don't need the heroics.


Yeah - but what a speech he gave. :) :)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Max did face more NFL-bound Utes than in the past three years.but yes, he struggled.



And for the record, splitting hairs, Detmer isn't a loss, he was never a gain, never on board.

Cahoon was and is now gone and it appears the process is floundering, protracted beyond convention. "Acres of Diamonds." Total whiff by Anae and Bronco.
B
byucougar1
If we land any of the recent late JC recruits plus Wily and Pita T., we will soon forget about decommits. After all speculation about TH and our 2013 schedule, which is great, I believe that we will be happy with final results. No worries mate.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
Do you think part of the issue of decommits is the push BYU seems to have lately of seeking the early commits? Some of these guys may never have committed after waiting things out a bit but I thought I remember hearing Bronco wanted the early commitment so that people felt invested and would be more likely to stay.
S
SpiffCoug
No, I think the decommits came from conversations like this:



Non-BYU Coach: Son, do you have a girlfriend?

Recruit: Of course coach!

Non-BYU Coach: You and your girlfriend close? Do you like spend a lot of alone time together, if you know what I mean.

Recruit: Of course coach!

Non-BYU Coach: Son, do you ever like to party?

Recruit: Of course coach!

Non-BYU Coach: Now, is there ever any alcohol involved when you party?

Recruit: Of course coach!

Non-BYU Coach: Are you ok not being close with your girlfriend and no partying for the next four-five years?

Recruit: Ummm...

Non-BYU Coach: Because, if you're not, and you do those things (be close with your girl and go partying) you're going to be kicked out of BYU.

Recruit: Oh. I hadn't thought of it like that.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Or, they decomitted to go to better programs.



I'm tired that when someone chooses not to go to BYU the fan base makes them out to be sex crazed, drug taking, party animals. not sure if that makes you feel better about losing, or what?



Not directed at you specifically spiff. Just the fan base in general. There are a lot of reasons to not choose BYU right now.
F
Fido
What I was trying to say is that decommits don't seem to just be a BYU problem. (see http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/8899532/commitments-far-sure-thing-today-recruiting-world" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )



I think it probably has some to do with coaching turnover or even the honor code but if kids are getting pressure to verbally commit so early--which hasn't always been the case--it isn't shocking that some decommit as they get to look over the changes in the program and evaluate other options.
S
scott715
I wonder if it is now a strategy to get a BYU committment to then get an offer from another school? A BYU offer means that you are a pretty good player and you have good character.
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Or, they decomitted to go to better programs.



I'm tired that when someone chooses not to go to BYU the fan base makes them out to be sex crazed, drug taking, party animals. not sure if that makes you feel better about losing, or what?



Not directed at you specifically spiff. Just the fan base in general. There are a lot of reasons to not choose BYU right now.

No worries. But Cal isn't a better program than BYU. While they may have other reasons for not coming to BYU, it is the simplest and most logical explanation as to why they don't stay with BYU. It's pretty much the ONLY thing that differentiates BYU from every other program in the NCAA.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
Or, they decomitted to go to better programs.



I'm tired that when someone chooses not to go to BYU the fan base makes them out to be sex crazed, drug taking, party animals. not sure if that makes you feel better about losing, or what?



Not directed at you specifically spiff. Just the fan base in general. There are a lot of reasons to not choose BYU right now.

No worries. But Cal isn't a better program than BYU. While they may have other reasons for not coming to BYU, it is the simplest and most logical explanation as to why they don't stay with BYU. It's pretty much the ONLY thing that differentiates BYU from every other program in the NCAA.


;)



That, and other universities don't have coaches that have super weird values placed on "trust" and start left handed fullbacks at the quarterback position for no apparent reason.\



:D
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.