Archived Topic

Avatar

by BoiseBYU · 11/23/2009

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Tehcnological trolodyte that I am, I followed instructions and went over to the site that must not be named, found my avatar, copied it to my computer, came over here and tried to upload it only to be told (I think) that the picture size is too big...HELP! I am avatarless and yet I have to see Urroner's! ;) Life is not fair
S
Sammich
http://www.cougarblue.com/forums/download/file.php?avatar=4_1253118259.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

This board accepts up to 90x90 images and that one is much smaller. Try right-click-Save As to download this one to your computer, then you can upload it in your Profile>Avatar panel.
S
Sammich
Or, I made this slightly larger version for you if you'd like.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/nielsons/Boise1.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
If you continue to get an error, copy the error message and post it here so I can see.
U
urroner
BoiseBYU wrote:
Tehcnological trolodyte that I am, I followed instructions and went over to the site that must not be named, found my avatar, copied it to my computer, came over here and tried to upload it only to be told (I think) that the picture size is too big...HELP! I am avatarless and yet I have to see Urroner's! ;) Life is not fair


My avatar just scared the bejeezers out of the server and now it's too terrified to tell me to take it off.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Sammich wrote:
http://www.cougarblue.com/forums/download/file.php?avatar=4_1253118259.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

This board accepts up to 90x90 images and that one is much smaller. Try right-click-Save As to download this one to your computer, then you can upload it in your Profile>Avatar panel.


Thanks! Sammich for President!
S
SpiffCoug
I was hoping we discuss the upcoming movie "Avatar" that looks simply awesome.

http://www.avatarmovie.com
G
Guest
kitic77 wrote:
I was hoping we discuss the upcoming movie "Avatar" that looks simply awesome.

http://www.avatarmovie.com


Speaking of the movie, I'm getting nervous it will be a little lame piece of anti-war propaganda with smurfs.
M
Mars
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2007/11/26/avatar-creature.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Italics
Mars wrote:
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2007/11/26/avatar-creature.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Man, when are these lazy mods gonna remove all these porn spammers :lol:



On second thought... ;)
Advertisement
I
Italics
hawkwing wrote:
I was hoping we discuss the upcoming movie "Avatar" that looks simply awesome.

http://www.avatarmovie.com


Speaking of the movie, I'm getting nervous it will be a little lame piece of anti-war propaganda with smurfs.


I began to worry the same thing after seeing the extended trailer.

Is it just me, or is the Gov't/American Military evil in, like, 75% of modern action movies?
S
Schmoe
James Cameron is kind of hit or miss on his films (loved Aliens, hated titanic). This CGI in this new one is too cheesy for me to take it seriously, and the film wants to be taken seriously, so it's gonna suck.
S
snoscythe
Italics wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
I was hoping we discuss the upcoming movie "Avatar" that looks simply awesome.

http://www.avatarmovie.com


Speaking of the movie, I'm getting nervous it will be a little lame piece of anti-war propaganda with smurfs.


I began to worry the same thing after seeing the extended trailer.

Is it just me, or is the Gov't/American Military evil in, like, 75% of modern action movies?


You have Black Hawk Down and Behind Enemy Lines to thank for that--both really good movies, but they demonstrated to Hollywood that the public was open to movies critical of the armed forces (as opposed to patriotic, testosterone infusions like Top Gun, Iron Eagle, Red Dawn), and with the success of those two movies and the critical acclaim that followed the even more critical Tears of the Sun, the libbo's in Hollywood just went bonkers.



When did you last see a movie that made you respect our men in uniform or *gasp* make enlisting seem like a good thing to do?
Advertisement
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
When did you last see a movie that made you respect our men in uniform or *gasp* make enlisting seem like a good thing to do?

How was Burn Locker?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887912/plotsummary
S
Schmoe
Sno, don't you think movies like Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket' were knocking the US armed forces long before Scott's 'Blackhawk Down'?



PS-Are we talking about 'Behind Enemy Lines' with Owen Wilson? That movie wasn't even close to being in the same league as the others.
S
snoscythe
Schmoe wrote:
Sno, don't you think movies like Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket' were knocking the US armed forces long before Scott's 'Blackhawk Down'?



PS-Are we talking about 'Behind Enemy Lines' with Owen Wilson? That movie wasn't even close to being in the same league as the others.


Full Metal Jacket and others were knocking the military early on, but the public gave lukewarm reception to those movies so studios were hesitant to back movies with those sentiments.



Full Metal Jacket took in just over 13% of receipts it's opening weekend, and that was against a pretty weak line-up: Revenge of the Nerds II, The Squeeze, O.C. and Stiggs, The Whistle Blower, and White Water Summer.



For comparison (going in order of release), Behind Enemy Lines took in 31.8%, Black Hawk Down took in 26.3%, and Tears of the Sun took in 39% their opening weekends.



While I absolutely agree that Behind Enemy Lines isn't in the same league as the others cinematically or politically, the fact that it was a successful film (though not a blockbuster) and was not met with protest gave studios the courage to take on more anti-military projects that weren't sure-fire successes like Blackhawk Down looked to be.



Blackhawk Down showed you could make a fantastic movie with anti-military sentiment and not get hammered by the public. Behind Enemy Lines showed you could make a semi-decent popcorn flick with anti-military sentiment and not get hammered by the public. Tears of the Sun showed you could absolutely ravage the armed forces and the public would still shell out to see it.
S
SpiffCoug
Behind Enemy Lines wasn't anti-American. It was anti-NATO. The Americans did what they wanted and ignored the French admiral who commanded NATO and wanted to stop the Americans.
G
Guest
I understand what you are saying with Black Hawk Down, but when I watch it, I see a brave and honorable group of men who will stand up to insurmountable odds for their brothers, which makes my heart swell with pride for our armed forces.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.