Archived Topic

Most disgusting prayer ever

by bigbluepuma · 1/23/2013

Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
The invocation at the inauguration was given by a black lady with an obviously over inflated self image. She addressed her prayer to "the American People," and gave a speach, in which she spoke for at least three or four minutes before making any reference to Diety. She eventually made a few requests, to nobody in particular, for some blessings, and ended her speach "in the name of Jesus Christ and everyone who is holy." I couldn't believe it. That was the most UN-prayer I ever heard. I hope I never have to listen to another one. I guess I'd better not watch any more inaugurations!
B
BroncoBot
You're right, it probably was the most UN (united nations) type prayer out there.
A
ABYUFAN
Why did you watch the inauguration? I'm guessing that we could have put a poll together to predict what would have been said/done in the inauguration and predicted everything that happened with 98% accuracy. it's so color by numbers it's a waste of time...
B
BoiseBYU
Pretty sure Zoramites' prayers on the Rameumpton (sp?) were worse.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
BoiseBYU wrote:
Pretty sure Zoramites' prayers on the Rameumpton (sp?) were worse.


Not much. :sick:
D
Ddawg
So, who gave the disputed inaugural invocation for Pres. Obama? Her name is Myrlie Evers-Williams. She's a civil rights activist, and a professor at Alcorn College. She was also the chairwoman of the NAACP from 1995-1998.



Why was she chosen? Because the pastor that was suppose to give the opening prayer, Louie Giglio, backed out. There was a dust up over a comment he made, referring to homosexuality as a sin in a sermon. That just can't be done now. So Louie withdrew his name from the program, and Myrlie Evers-Williams was chosen.



It's interesting, she is the first person in U.S. history to pray at a presidential inauguration, that is not ordained clergy. She is also the first woman to pray at an inauguration.



The question must be asked - do you need to be an ordained minister to pray? No. Should you be a man to pray at an inauguration? No.



I personally applaud the fact that Obama gave the opportunity to a "lay person" and a woman to pray. However, when given the opportunity to give a prayer, you pray - you talk to God - and not give a speech to the audience.
B
BoiseBYU
Ddawg wrote:
So, who gave the disputed inaugural invocation for Pres. Obama? Her name is Myrlie Evers-Williams. She's a civil rights activist, and a professor at Alcorn College. She was also the chairwoman of the NAACP from 1995-1998.



Why was she chosen? Because the pastor that was suppose to give the opening prayer, Louie Giglio, backed out. There was a dust up over a comment he made, referring to homosexuality as a sin in a sermon. That just can't be done now. So Louie withdrew his name from the program, and Myrlie Evers-Williams was chosen.



It's interesting, she is the first person in U.S. history to pray at a presidential inauguration, that is not ordained clergy. She is also the first woman to pray at an inauguration.



The question must be asked - do you need to be an ordained minister to pray? No. Should you be a man to pray at an inauguration? No.



I personally applaud the fact that Obama gave the opportunity to a "lay person" and a woman to pray. However, when given the opportunity to give a prayer, you pray - you talk to God - and not give a speech to the audience.


I agree. I will note that I rarely have ever seen an inaugural prayer that was not some covert speech, regardless of party or clergy. It bugs me though. Why can't these people just talk to God instead of speechify?
B
BroncoBot
I think we'd be shocked at how few people know how to pray and regularly practice it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.