Archived Topic

Welcome to Aaron Roderick

by hawkwing · 1/16/2013

Advertisement
G
Guest
Aaron Roderick is joining the staff, position unannounced as of yet, and possibly as the recruiting coordinator.



By all accounts, he is a fantastic recruiter and a good coach.



No man has walked so long in the shadow he cannot return to the light.
L
Lawboy
Highly likely he takes Cahoon's spot and coaches the WRs. Also highly likely he heads up recruiting. And on game days, I expect him to be the spotter in the box while Anae is on the sidelines, and he will aid in game planning.



BYU just got a BYU guy with experience as an OC, and a solid WR coach. Only person I could see who justified letting Cahoon go to get.



Safe to say BYU is now paying its assistants more $$$ than it used to also.
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
Highly likely he takes Cahoon's spot and coaches the WRs. Also highly likely he heads up recruiting. And on game days, I expect him to be the spotter in the box while Anae is on the sidelines, and he will aid in game planning.



BYU just got a BYU guy with experience as an OC, and a solid WR coach. Only person I could see who justified letting Cahoon go to get.



Safe to say BYU is now paying its assistants more $$$ than it used to also.


Why is it safe to say that? I would be shocked if we out bid Utah - Unless - Utah did not want him to syay. He may have just preferred to be at BYU - as it should be - or maybe that horrific offensive showing up north the last two years or so caused some casualties up that way.



None of these hires so far are high profile hires. None.



Maybe it is just budget constraints or maybe Bronco likes unheralded coaches with True Grit.



Is John Wayne or that spunky little cowgirl from the movie available to coach special teams?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
blue42
Lawboy wrote:
Highly likely he takes Cahoon's spot and coaches the WRs. Also highly likely he heads up recruiting. And on game days, I expect him to be the spotter in the box while Anae is on the sidelines, and he will aid in game planning.



BYU just got a BYU guy with experience as an OC, and a solid WR coach. Only person I could see who justified letting Cahoon go to get.



Safe to say BYU is now paying its assistants more $$$ than it used to also.


I saw his base salary was $200k and with incentives close to $300k per tweet per Jay Drew
L
Lawboy
Why is it safe to say that> I dunno, simple logic?



LaVell amde $180k when he retired, Crowton got about $3-400K. Bronco is now in the $1.2M range, and I guarantee yuo that Holmoe knows the value of great assistants and paying them to come. Not saying it is SEC or top tier BCS $$, but willing to bet it compares to teh Utah's, Wazzu's, Colorados, Kansas, and Duke's of the world.



I bet Anae is close to $4-450k, and position coaches at $250-300k. BYU is now making over $8-10M more with its ESPN deal than it did previously, so it can afford to increase assistants pay by $2M or so without a problem.



Football drives the financial engine.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
Aaron Roderick is joining the staff, position unannounced as of yet, and possibly as the recruiting coordinator.



By all accounts, he is a fantastic recruiter and a good coach.



No man has walked so long in the shadow he cannot return to the light.


No man, except KWitt. I hope never to see him in blue again.
B
blue42
I agree with you Lawboy, if that is what Utah paid him last year he would probably be getting more now at BYU.



I thought I read something earlier this week that Utah just gave him a raise, interesting about the change of mind for him.
C
Cougs_Rule
Lawboy wrote:
Highly likely he takes Cahoon's spot and coaches the WRs. Also highly likely he heads up recruiting. And on game days, I expect him to be the spotter in the box while Anae is on the sidelines, and he will aid in game planning.



BYU just got a BYU guy with experience as an OC, and a solid WR coach. Only person I could see who justified letting Cahoon go to get.



Safe to say BYU is now paying its assistants more $$$ than it used to also.


There must be intangibles I don't know about? Maybe loyalties to Anae? I don't want to disparage the guy, but wasn't he also a premature OC hire? And then demoted? Is this a double dip in that we are poaching Utah and so it makes it that more valuable of a hire?

How is it known he is a good recruiter? WR coach? Etc. not trying to be difficult here, just wondering. Otherwise, welcome back ARod.
C
CrimsonCoug
What are the odds he and Cahoon just switch places? Given that he's the governor's son-in-law and (if I were him) has a chip on his shoulder with how BYU dropped him, I think there's supply and demand for him on the hill.
M
mraven
hawkwing wrote:

No man has walked so long in the shadow he cannot return to the light.




You must be a WOT fan. Nice.
Advertisement
G
Guest
mraven wrote:

No man has walked so long in the shadow he cannot return to the light.




You must be a WOT fan. Nice.




Ding ding ding! Winner!
M
mraven
I never associated "hawkwing" with WOT. . . until the quote. Well done, sir. Well done.



BTW . . . greatest fantasy ever written.
J
jonnylingo
This is a big get for byu. Experience, recruiting. his players are alreayd saying we are going to love him on twitter.
G
Guest
mraven wrote:
I never associated "hawkwing" with WOT. . . until the quote. Well done, sir. Well done.



BTW . . . greatest fantasy ever written.

http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
F
frdbtr
I'm going to have to say that I am really starting to warm up to this new offensive staff. I was luke warm on the Anae and Atuai (sp) hires but the last two hires, IMO are really good hires. If we get peterson, this will be an awesome staff with the potential to get us where we want to go. So far everyone with the exception of Atuai(sp) has head coaching or Ocoordinator experience. We wanted experience, we are getting it. None of these guys will be learning on the job.
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
Now that we've broken the "color" barrier and hired a coach away from the Pukes, any chance we can go after Jordan Wynn? What an addition he'd make to our coaching corps! Finally have a woman coach!
A
a1247
Utah screwed with A-Rod severial times over the last few years. Makes total sense that he would leave them to come back to the Y. I could also see this leading the way for Anae becoming the head coach in the next few years with A-Rod becoming the offensive corrdinator.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
mraven wrote:
I never associated "hawkwing" with WOT. . . until the quote. Well done, sir. Well done.



BTW . . . greatest fantasy ever written.

Wait! Does "mraven" = Mat, The Prince of the Ravens?
G
Guest
SpiffCoug wrote:
I never associated "hawkwing" with WOT. . . until the quote. Well done, sir. Well done.



BTW . . . greatest fantasy ever written.

Wait! Does "mraven" = Mat, The Prince of the Ravens?


Whoa. Mind blown.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
mraven wrote:
I never associated "hawkwing" with WOT. . . until the quote. Well done, sir. Well done.



BTW . . . greatest fantasy ever written.

Wait! Does "mraven" = Mat, The Prince of the Ravens?


Whoa. Mind blown.


http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/what-if-i-told-you-the-alphabet-song-is-really-240x180.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.