Archived Topic

Dupaix and Cahoon are not necessarily "bad" coaches

by snoscythe · 1/15/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Anae evidently doesn't feel like they are the best for the job within his offense.



My guess is that one of Anae's conditions on return was 100% control of offensive staffing, and he wants to build his offense with guys he has complete trust in. He doesn't know DuPaix and Cahoon from Adam, so in his eyes, they were likely just two more candidates for the job. Doman is evidently getting a chance to stay if he wants, but that's not because of some strained apology for the demotion--it's because unlike Dupaix and Cahoon, Anae has worked with Doman before and he is a known quantity for Anae to have on his staff.



Anae building his coaching team isn't necessarily about having the best coach at each position group or about loyalty for years worked at BYU. Hopefully it's about assembling a team of coaches who work well together at putting a cohesive team of players out on the field each Saturday. That requires not just someone who can coach a position, but someone who can do it within whatever offense and coaching culture Anae wants to build. Cahoon and Dupaix as mere candidates like anyone else at this point just might not have fit the bill.



If we are bringing in a new OC, the last thing I would want to do is handcuff him to "legacy" hires.
S
scott715
I also hope these guys can really recruit.
A
ABYUFAN
It's no secret that I beleive that Anae was the wrong hire, and I hope very strongly to be wrong about this, but I think he's an idiot for letting Cahoon go. Cahoon is hardly a "Legacy" hire, he just happended to coach the one offensive group that performed better under him than they did before he got here.



Trust me, I want very much to eat a heaping helping of crow next year and post all offseason next yer that Anae was the man for the job... However, as I'm sitting here I beleive that next year we will be worse than we were this year and we will be looking to can him, and wish that we had a competent receivers coach. The last thing I want to type next january is "I told you so"... but I beleive that I will be
J
JayhawkCoug
ABYUFAN wrote:
It's no secret that I beleive that Anae was the wrong hire, and I hope very strongly to be wrong about this, but I think he's an idiot for letting Cahoon go. Cahoon is hardly a "Legacy" hire, he just happended to coach the one offensive group that performed better under him than they did before he got here.



Trust me, I want very much to eat a heaping helping of crow next year and post all offseason next yer that Anae was the man for the job... However, as I'm sitting here I beleive that next year we will be worse than we were this year and we will be looking to can him, and wish that we had a competent receivers coach. The last thing I want to type next january is "I told you so"... but I beleive that I will be


I agree completely.
C
craigoscarson
snoscythe wrote:
Anae evidently doesn't feel like they are the best for the job within his offense.



My guess is that one of Anae's conditions on return was 100% control of offensive staffing, and he wants to build his offense with guys he has complete trust in. He doesn't know DuPaix and Cahoon from Adam, so in his eyes, they were likely just two more candidates for the job. Doman is evidently getting a chance to stay if he wants, but that's not because of some strained apology for the demotion--it's because unlike Dupaix and Cahoon, Anae has worked with Doman before and he is a known quantity for Anae to have on his staff.



Anae building his coaching team isn't necessarily about having the best coach at each position group or about loyalty for years worked at BYU. Hopefully it's about assembling a team of coaches who work well together at putting a cohesive team of players out on the field each Saturday. That requires not just someone who can coach a position, but someone who can do it within whatever offense and coaching culture Anae wants to build. Cahoon and Dupaix as mere candidates like anyone else at this point just might not have fit the bill.



If we are bringing in a new OC, the last thing I would want to do is handcuff him to "legacy" hires.


I think Tom Holmoe gets it. This offense the last two years was pitiful. Riley Nelson was the wrong answer and in retrospect so was Brandon Doman.



He and Bronco and Anae are thinking about how to fix this offense and sometimes that means doing unpopular things for the greater good.



I like a lot of fans are hesitant to accept change because guys were popular. We worry about losing Weber because he recruited Ryker Matthews for example, so we let a coach that wasn't productive stick around longer than he should have, etc. etc. At my company, we have a terrible accountant that is well liked by everyone. This week finally the CEO read him the riot act and it appears that finally he is going to be expected to pay attention to detail or hit the road (it's not even big things, just a series of annoying and preventable little things); in spite of the fact that he is an awesome person. This is also what I'm getting from the firings. Holmoe is saying that results matter and the bottom line is production.



I hope and believe that these new guys will be held accountable to the same bottom line. I didn't see anyone on the defensive side get fired.... because they are producing.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
If I am Anae, I only coach at BYU if I get to hire my own staff. If the rumors are true that Anae and Reynolds butted heads why would Anae want to return to a situation where he has to deal with someone that doesn't see eye to eye with him. Anae comes in, gets his staff and they are all grateful and indebted to Anae for bringing them in. No legacy coaches that think they know better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
So, the actual head coach is Tom Holmoe. Got it.
S
scott715
We will have to trust him on these moves. I just hope he is not focusing on who he likes versus who can recruit and develop the players. Cahoon is not confirmed yet maybe he stays. Could Dupaix be put in some admin position and help direct recruiting?
C
craigoscarson
stuckinbig10country wrote:
So, the actual head coach is Tom Holmoe. Got it.


Tom is the one that promised change midseason. So in your scenario, he's not the head coach but he's certainly the GM; and yes I think the changes on offense were spearheaded by Tom.
S
stuckinbig10country
craigoscarson wrote:
So, the actual head coach is Tom Holmoe. Got it.


Tom is the one that promised change midseason. So in your scenario, he's not the head coach but he's certainly the GM; and yes I think the changes on offense were spearheaded by Tom.


Well, Holmoe just hired Anae for the second time. I really believe that Holmoe will take over the HC job if it opens up in the relatively near future.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
ABYUFAN wrote:
It's no secret that I beleive that Anae was the wrong hire, and I hope very strongly to be wrong about this, but I think he's an idiot for letting Cahoon go. Cahoon is hardly a "Legacy" hire, he just happended to coach the one offensive group that performed better under him than they did before he got here.



Trust me, I want very much to eat a heaping helping of crow next year and post all offseason next yer that Anae was the man for the job... However, as I'm sitting here I beleive that next year we will be worse than we were this year and we will be looking to can him, and wish that we had a competent receivers coach. The last thing I want to type next january is "I told you so"... but I beleive that I will be


I don't know about Anae but I will be surprised if they find a better receiver coach than Cahoon.
C
Cougarbib
All this worry about losing our world beater recruiters. Look at this class and last. Hardly anytbing to get worked up over.



Then re Holmoe taking over as HC. REMEMBER CAL.



Holmoe promised this would ALL BE GOOD. You all applauded loudly. Like 2010. We got what we git. It will all be good - ot Holmoe will drop in popularity.



All we need now is Vai Sikahema for special teams coach.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
stuckinbig10country wrote:
So, the actual head coach is Tom Holmoe. Got it.

No.



“@TomHolmoe: Folks, Bronco is calling shots on new coaches with Robert. I am there for support and counsel if needed.”
C
Cougs_Rule
But I bet he had something to do with firing them. ;-)
G
Gunk
Cougs_Rule wrote:
But I bet he had something to do with firing them. ;-)


Ya, probably went something like this:



TH: Defense was great last season. Offense was the worst in nearly a decade. What are going to do to get it going again?



Bronco: I'm going to rehire the OC that produced a Top 25 offense at BYU. I figure if we get anywhere close to a Top 25 offense and maintain my Top 10 defense we ought to be quite the force.



TH: Sounds like a plan.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
But I bet he had something to do with firing them. ;-)


Ya, probably went something like this:



TH: Defense was great last season. Offense was the worst in nearly a decade. What are going to do to get it going again?



Bronco: I'm going to rehire the OC that produced a Top 25 offense at BYU. I figure if we get anywhere close to a Top 25 offense and maintain my Top 10 defense we ought to be quite the force.



TH: Sounds like a plan.


Nailed it.
C
Cougs_Rule
Would you like a pretty bow with that package? ;-)
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
But I bet he had something to do with firing them. ;-)


Ya, probably went something like this:



TH: Defense was great last season. Offense was the worst in nearly a decade. What are going to do to get it going again?



Bronco: I'm going to rehire the OC that produced a Top 25 offense at BYU. I figure if we get anywhere close to a Top 25 offense and maintain my Top 10 defense we ought to be quite the force.



TH: Sounds like a plan.


Nailed it.


This seems to be missing as TH continues to tweet things that seem a bit US Vs THEM.



US being TH and disgruntled boosters and fans and THEM being Bronco and old or new OC.



TH could have added a full support type endorsement of Bronco and Robert.



Hopefully politics at the very top do not create a feeling of disunity that might make potential recruits even more nervous than the position coach uncertainty already has especially given Roderick flip flopping.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.