Archived Topic

Josh Sharp - offensive production??

by beauso79 · 1/14/2013

Advertisement
B
beauso79
Sharp has been instrumental on defense and rebounding. He cleans up misses well and gets some easy shots thanks to Brandon's passing in the post. I saw him hit a 3 vs SCU and that got me wondering what kind of offensive game did this guy possess in high school? Can he hit the 3 on a regular basis? We need him to be a little more than just defense and rebounding



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Josh Sharp is a garbage man offensive player. He cleans up misses. I have seen nothing to indicate he has any kind of offensive ability that a play or series of plays could be run for him to get some points for the team. He is not an offensive threat.



BYU will have to continue to get by with rebounding and defense from him and very little offense.
B
beauso79
SpiffCoug wrote:
Josh Sharp is a garbage man offensive player. He cleans up misses. I have seen nothing to indicate he has any kind of offensive ability that a play or series of plays could be run for him to get some points for the team. He is not an offensive threat.



BYU will have to continue to get by with rebounding and defense from him and very little offense.




If that's the case we really need Kaufusi to eventually take on a more important role. I think in an interview with Coach Rose they were trying to figure how BK could help on offense and whether or not he was a back to the basket or a face-up player. If I remember correctly he could hit a three back in his basketball days in high school.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
I disagree a bit on sharps role in the offense. He can be an instrumental part of the offense when teams are doubling Brandon and tight on Haws, he is usually the open man. He has often cut to the basket for baskets assisted by Davies. He is also scoring on inbounds plays. He is not the every play go to guy like Haws/Davies, but I see him as a solid 10 pts/game guy as he further develops, half garbage points, half through the offense.
C
Cougs_Rule
Craigoscarson probably knows best. He certainly seemed to be the first to answer what JS would bring to BYU. He was right. JS doesn't have to be a "go to" scorer. He is clean up. Kind of guy and makes a big difference with rebounds and pretty solid D. Who knows if he can pick it up on O. He might be something of a Kyle Collinsworth where he has to get his points going to the hole.

But he won't be as useful trying to play the likes of Elias with SMC and that new guy with the long hair at Gonzaga. As where BK will come in.

BK will prove more valuable on D than on O. But I gotta believe at that size he will a back to the basket kind of guy. But that's if he even gets that far this year such that Rose is worrying about getting O production out of BK.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Sharp is first and foremost a rebounding machine. High energy, high effort glue guy. He gives the other guys more chances to makes baskets.
C
Cougarbib
beauso79 wrote:
Sharp has been instrumental on defense and rebounding. He cleans up misses well and gets some easy shots thanks to Brandon's passing in the post. I saw him hit a 3 vs SCU and that got me wondering what kind of offensive game did this guy possess in high school? Can he hit the 3 on a regular basis? We need him to be a little more than just defense and rebounding



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


He throws down some nice dunks. Like many teammates, he lacks consistency. But the inconsistencies of thr team are getting consistently less inconsistent.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
Sharp has the athletic ability to be a slasher without the skill level. In the future I hope that he can develop his spotup 3 point shot and his free throw shooting. In other words we need to him to be a great role player on the offense. If his 3 pt shooting comes around we might see more of him at the 3 and guarding on the perimeter.
C
Cougs_Rule
Qman wrote:
Sharp has the athletic ability to be a slasher without the skill level. In the future I hope that he can develop his spotup 3 point shot and his free throw shooting. In other words we need to him to be a great role player on the offense. If his 3 pt shooting comes around we might see more of him at the 3 and guarding on the perimeter.


Agreed. I keep hoping that we see him develop enough offensively that he can be at the 3, Haws at the 2, and then my stretch hope that Kaufusi could develop at the 4. But I'm not sure either will get there offensively this year. Zylstra has seemingly locked up the 2. He has been more effective offensively. I hope it sticks.
G
Gunk
I had my doubts on Sharp, but I'm a big fan now. His tenacity on the glass has been the difference maker in some games and he's a big part if why this team went from one of worst rebounding teams in the country to one of the best.



Sharp shows glimmers of offensive production aside from the dishes and dunks. He has a decent shot and occasionally will back a guy down under the basket.



Give him another year. He's improving. And right now, he's critical to our offense with what he brings to the table now. Should he never move beyond being a rebound machine, I'm fine with that. Who wouldn't want someone grabbing boards all game long out on the floor.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Guest
I honestly don't even care if Sharp has any offensive production beyond a hammer dunk once a game. If he develops it, fantastic, it's one more tool that we have. If not, he's earned his place with his hustle and rebounding.



The guy is the Mormon Dennis Rodman.
1
1967cougar
hawkwing wrote:
I honestly don't even care if Sharp has any offensive production beyond a hammer dunk once a game. If he develops it, fantastic, it's one more tool that we have. If not, he's earned his place with his hustle and rebounding.



The guy is the Mormon Dennis Rodman.

Oxymoron
C
Cougarbib
1967cougar wrote:
I honestly don't even care if Sharp has any offensive production beyond a hammer dunk once a game. If he develops it, fantastic, it's one more tool that we have. If not, he's earned his place with his hustle and rebounding.



The guy is the Mormon Dennis Rodman.

Oxymoron


OxyMormon



Quick Story



I had Amanda Beard come give a motivational speech to my staff in Irvine, California many years ago when I worked there and right after her Okympic success. She gave a nice speech for somebody that young and then invited questions.



First Question: What professional athlete do you admire most?



Answer from the clean cut teenager.



Dennis Rodman



Because he is not afraid to be an individual.



I was quite surprised by the choice.





I always thought he hid behind all of that persona because he was afraid to be himself.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bigbluepuma
I had the opportunity to watch the Utah Stars a number of times at the end of Zelmo Beatty's career. At first, I wondered why in the world they had that crippled old man on the floor at all, let alone playing major minutes. The arthritis in his knees was so bad that he ran without ever straightening his legs (although he did still get up and down the floor pretty well). It seemed like he hardly moved at all when under the basket. I thought they should be giving the minutes to the younger, more athletic guys, who would surely do a much better job.



After a while I began to realize something; when Z was in, they pulled ahead, when he was out, the other team began to catch up. Long story short: Z may not have seemed to contribute in the stat sheet filling ways as much as he did in his earlier years, but what he did, made his team much better. He was a tenacious defender, and when needed, could score against any center in the league. What he mostly did was make his team mates better when he was on the floor.



What a team needs isn't always another scorer. Sometimes they need someone to do all the other things that make their team successful. I don't think that it's an accident that BYU has been the best they have been all season sinse Sharp emerged as a bulldog rebounder and general all over the floor scrapper. If he never becomes a big scorer for the cougs, he will be an invaluable asset because of all the other things, many intangible, that he brings to the game.
N
nuk13
hawkwing wrote:
I honestly don't even care if Sharp has any offensive production beyond a hammer dunk once a game. If he develops it, fantastic, it's one more tool that we have. If not, he's earned his place with his hustle and rebounding.



The guy is the Mormon Dennis Rodman.


I was thinking of Rodman as well. I like Sharp's lifestyle far better however.
Advertisement
K
KYCoug
I agree with what has been said about Sharp's scoring.



My hope is in the off season he bulks up a bit and then can show us how he can score next year. I think he will surprise a few of you.
S
SpiffCoug
I actually want Sharp to focus on rebounding and defense. Basketball is somewhat specialized and it's been a while since BYU had a truly dominant post defender and rebounder (Araujo?)
C
Cougs_Rule
Except Sharp is proving to be a better perimeter/slasher defender. Plus the rebounding. because he roams and crashes and tips and wants it more--a lot like Rodman. But as for girth and post defense, I don't think those will really develop. Last report He was 6'7' 180. No wonder the guy can jump. But he's not going to put on 30-50 pounds which is what he needs if he is going To be a better post defender. This will become more apparent when BYU plays Elias and Gonzaga.

But, he has pleasantly surprised so far. Maybe he will pull that off. Bt love what he is bringing.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.