Archived Topic

Depressing Health News

by BoiseBYU · 1/11/2013

Advertisement
T
tww
I have been following statistics like these for some time. I don't know how accurate this particular study is but considering the downward spiral we are in as a nation this study is close enough. However, it most definitely is intended to produce a desired reaction. To do that it intentionally leaves out statistics that would leave an evidence trail to the cause.



Hawk, you are right in that there are regional and cultural factors that impact heavily on these statistics. Those are intentionally left out so that we assume that these statistics are even across the board. Having said that there are no groups totally exempt. Other factors left out of the study are the historical trends. In other words, the relation between these statistics and historical events that created changes in our culture.



David Barton has done the most research on this topic that I know of. Reading his work on the cause and effect of these trends is very enlightening.



Though the seeds to our destruction were planted early, a very significant downturn occurred when FDR recreated the Supreme Court and packed it with liberal activists.



That set the stage for God and morality to be taken out of schools, government, and the public eye and replaced with Darwinism, humanism, secularism, socialism, etc. Now God and morality are banned by liberals, thus they earn the title of Godless liberals.



BoiseBYU, you may consider this information depressing but it is even worse when placed in the context of what could have been had this country stayed on course of Constitutional conservatism and Judeo-Christian morality.



Here's the real kicker, Who will God blame for this disaster? Will He blame those that don't know any better or will He hold accountable those to whom the truth has been revealed and the priesthood restored? Progressive liberals have done the dirty work but have we opposed them sufficiently?



As far as I know there have been no other people so blessed and yet so disappointingly irresponsible as the residence of the promised land of America.
D
Ddawg
+1. Wanna see a relatively small segment of our society that have been blessed financially, but thumb their collective noses at the values that made this country great? Look no further than "Hollywood."
S
SpiffCoug
America is such a big place with such a diverse population that it is really unfair to compare it to other countries' populations that are much more homogenous and live in much mosr similar climates, conditions and locations.
B
BoiseBYU
hawkwing wrote:
It would truly be fascinating to see these health numbers broken out by county. It would give us a much better idea what is the underlying cause of the problem and the best options to fix it.


Me too. Something of interest is that the other developed countries reviewed are not necessarily populated by people who are more conservative or more God fearing. Maybe the Portuguese and Japanese are and I'm just ignorant. The Institute of Medicine does work for the National Academy of Sciences and so they're credible. The study is 300 plus pages long so there's lots more in there and perhaps some good trends too. I have not studied it closely. That said these are not good figures for our country.
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
America is such a big place with such a diverse population that it is really unfair to compare it to other countries' populations that are much more homogenous and live in much mosr similar climates, conditions and locations.


Quite likely. We are also richer with more resource to bear. I know statistics can be twisted and interpreted too greatly. The numbers just really jumped out at me and I thought I'd share
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
BoiseBYU wrote:
Me too. Something of interest is that the other developed countries reviewed are not necessarily populated by people who are more conservative or more God fearing. Maybe the Portuguese and Japanese are and I'm just ignorant. The Institute of Medicine does work for the National Academy of Sciences and so they're credible. The study is 300 plus pages long so there's lots more in there and perhaps some good trends too. I have not studied it closely. That said these are not good figures for our country.

Fair enough. But other countries like Portugal and Japan weren't the lands promised to prophets and the heirs that had blessings bestowed upon them either.
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
Me too. Something of interest is that the other developed countries reviewed are not necessarily populated by people who are more conservative or more God fearing. Maybe the Portuguese and Japanese are and I'm just ignorant. The Institute of Medicine does work for the National Academy of Sciences and so they're credible. The study is 300 plus pages long so there's lots more in there and perhaps some good trends too. I have not studied it closely. That said these are not good figures for our country.

Fair enough. But other countries like Portugal and Japan weren't the lands promised to prophets and the heirs that had blessings bestowed upon them either.


Agreed
S
SpiffCoug
Unfortunately there are some things that are very wrong in our nation and I'm not sure we are willing to do what it will really take to overcome them - namely come to accept and live the Gospel. America is a great country but right now I don't think we have enough great people.
N
nuk13
SpiffCoug wrote:
Unfortunately there are some things that are very wrong in our nation and I'm not sure we are willing to do what it will really take to overcome them - namely come to accept and live the Gospel. America is a great country but right now I don't think we have enough great people.


There weren't enough in the last election.
D
Ddawg
SpiffCoug wrote:
Unfortunately there are some things that are very wrong in our nation and I'm not sure we are willing to do what it will really take to overcome them - namely come to accept and live the Gospel. America is a great country but right now I don't think we have enough great people.


Bingo! There are still a pile of good people in America. They have eyes to see, ears to hear, and hearts to understand. Unfortunately, they are less than the 51% that it takes to have an affect on the direction the USA.



Hence, the continued downward glide path. Collectively, the 49% can't do anything about it. The focus becomes very local - especially our families - preparing for the future bumps that are sure to come. The bumps will become more frequent, and increase in severity.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
I'm very much with you guys. But I do not think all of it is due to wickedness per se. Some is just lifestyle and habits. Americans eat too much red meat and drink too much sugared sodas and other drinks. Kids sit in front of tvs instead of playing. We love saturated fats. And we think getting drunk is cool ( and I mean this in the sense of what our culture presents)
S
SpiffCoug
Much of what is wicked is being presented as cool. I know I eat too much red meat and would do better to better adhere to the word of wisdom.
D
Ddawg
BoiseBYU wrote:
I'm very much with you guys. But I do not think all of it is due to wickedness per se. Some is just lifestyle and habits. Americans eat too much red meat and drink too much sugared sodas and other drinks. Kids sit in front of tvs instead of playing. We love saturated fats. And we think getting drunk is cool ( and I mean this in the sense of what our culture presents)


+1! Bingo! I have to get 1/2 looped just to post on Cougar Corner. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Page 2 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.