Archived Topic

Brigham's Beard

by tmoney35 · 1/8/2013

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
I think BYU missed out on a golden opportunity to do something awesome with the new student section:


Lake said the naming of the student section has been in the works for three years and has gone through hundreds of different names, from “The Handcart” to “Brigham’s Beard,” until finally becoming the “ROC.”

http://universe.byu.edu/beta/2012/12/06/final-story-students-adapt-to-the-roc/



I'm sure Brigham's Beard got cut from the list a possible names almost instantly for obvious reasons, but dang, that's a change I could've really gotten behind.



Maybe it's just because I'm still upset with the new seats, but "ROC" just seems kind of corny to me.
G
Gunk
ROC is kind of lame...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
tww
I don't know. ROC has a better chance of longevity and will be more universally palatable. Handcart and Brigham's Beard seem rather nerdy and confusing and would probably run out of favor in a couple of years.
G
Guest
I don't care for the ROC seems like BYU is trying to I mitigate the Riot.
T
tww
I guess they could have one upped the Pit with the ABYSS. The A could be for alumni or almighty or whatever.



It is obvious that someone wanted to sing "We will Rock you."
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
This all seems pretty contrived/manufactured. Let it happen organically or don't do it.
T
tww
BerliNY wrote:
This all seems pretty contrived/manufactured. Let it happen organically or don't do it.


Everything is contrived at first. Besides, Mormons and especially BYU don't do random, bottom up, organic add-ons. BYU is terrible at developing tradition because things tend to stay the same and plain is the acceptable norm. I am not saying that is all bad, it just is what it is.



Look how long it has taken the stretch and oval Y to take hold. The only reason it succeeded is because everything else failed.



Within 5 years the ROC concept will either become organic or be replaced. I suspect new students will embrace it like it has been around for 100 years.



Contrived or not BYU could use more stuff like this. All it is lacking is a story to make it more mythical.
T
tmoney35
tww wrote:
I don't know. ROC has a better chance of longevity and will be more universally palatable. Handcart and Brigham's Beard seem rather nerdy and confusing and would probably run out of favor in a couple of years.


Brigham's Beard is timeless!
U
urroner
The ABYSS - Angry/Arrogant//aloof/assuming/audacious/autocratic/awesome/aweful/acute/astute/abominable Brigham Young Student Section



I bet Orson Scott Card would have agreed with the name.
M
Metal Bubba
tww wrote:
This all seems pretty contrived/manufactured. Let it happen organically or don't do it.


Everything is contrived at first.


Yeah, look at the "Cameron Crazies". The name, chants and synchronized movements were all contrived/choreographed in the beginning, but then it caught on and those dorks have been doing it for more than 25 years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars


I did kind of like the ABYSS moniker.
U
urroner
Mars wrote:


I did kind of like the ABYSS moniker.

Any way of getting it changed before they do the stupid ROC bit?
M
Mars
urroner wrote:
Any way of getting it changed before they do the stupid ROC bit?

No. ROC (Raw Oyster Cult) has multiple large/expensive items made up for it.
U
urroner
Mars wrote:
Any way of getting it changed before they do the stupid ROC bit?

No. ROC (Raw Oyster Cult) has multiple large/expensive items made up for it.


Bummer dude, besides, there's only one reason I would ever eat raw oysters, but being a good little Mormon boy and single isn't one of them.
A
ABYUFAN
Mars wrote:


I did kind of like the ABYSS moniker.

Too close to the MUSS for me. I love the ROC
Advertisement
T
tww
tmoney35 wrote:
I don't know. ROC has a better chance of longevity and will be more universally palatable. Handcart and Brigham's Beard seem rather nerdy and confusing and would probably run out of favor in a couple of years.


Brigham's Beard is timeless!




Isn't that one of the lines in the theme song from M*A*S*H*?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.