Archived Topic

WCC Stadium Expansions

by scott715 · 1/8/2013

Advertisement
K
KYCoug
To me this is further evidence that we have no business in the WCC. This is pure and simple planning to be small time and irrelevant in NCAA basketball. ya really get what you put into it. By contrast the Big East "Faith 7" were all in similar sized arenas until the 70's' now compair:



DePaul 18,500

Georgetown 18,756

Marquette 18,600

Providence 12,00

Seton Hall 17,625

St John's 13,276

Villanova 6,500 new facility in planning will seat 21,000



Ya get out of it what you put into it and it's clear the WCC plans to stay small time



go Cougs!!! out of the WCC
G
Guest
Part of the problem is a lot of these schools can't even sell out their 4,000 seat arenas even when BYU fans buy 3,000 of the tickets.
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
Part of the problem is a lot of these schools can't even sell out their 4,000 seat arenas even when BYU fans buy 3,000 of the tickets.


The SF game was barely half full with BYU in town. I almost went to that game but couldn't get a babysitter.



I can understand why SF has a small gym. Hardly anyone goes. But there is no reason why SMC should have the tiny gym that they have.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I heard that SF was not in session yet so there were less students at the game.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
scott715 wrote:
I heard that SF was not in session yet so there were less students at the game.


Yes. But last year at SMC was the same case and that place was full. Granted SMC holds less and is a bigger draw. Just about every BYU fan in the Bay Area was trying to get a ticket to that game.



Not the case with SF. Quality of opponent, I guess. Plus, parking and getting into SF is such a hassle. Depending on where you park, parking could cost more than your ticket.
B
BYULV
I went to SF last year and this year. Noticeable difference with last year being much fuller. Probably due to school being out still, but the BYU contingent was also smaller this yer. Its not the best/easiest location to get to either. I still think they could be more effective getting that place filled.
E
EM_Puma
If there was one thing I missed about the MWC, it would be the BB environments. WCC is just to farm league with such small venues. I watched the CSU/SDSU game this last weekend and those arenas are alive.



We did what we had to do once Hair aided in dismantling the WAC and take away that landing place, but I'm not happy in the WCC in BB and it seems a step down now going into the 2nd year. Not to say the WCC doesn't have some class for it's size. It does, but the venues are just not any improvement from where we were and a step down.
B
BYULV
EM_Puma wrote:
If there was one thing I missed about the MWC, it would be the BB environments. WCC is just to farm league with such small venues. I watched the CSU/SDSU game this last weekend and those arenas are alive.



We did what we had to do once Hair aided in dismantling the WAC and take away that landing place, but I'm not happy in the WCC in BB and it seems a step down now going into the 2nd year. Not to say the WCC doesn't have some class for it's size. It does, but the venues are just not any improvement from where we were and a step down.




I went to SF last weekend, great trip. Could have travelled to Wyoming instead if we were still in the MWC. I don't care about arena size, I have no interest in going to Wyoming, New Mexico, Fresno, Boise or Ft Collins in the Winter. I miss the UNLV game, but not their fans. Competition overall a step down in the WCC, but programs a step up (classier, nice venues) compared to those in the MWC.
E
EM_Puma
BYULV wrote:
I miss the UNLV game, but not their fans. Competition overall a step down in the WCC, but programs a step up (classier, nice venues) compared to those in the MWC.


Hands down agree the WCC schools thus far have demonstrated more class than those teams we left behind in the MWC, but wasn't that the fun of it to beat fans that were in your face? The feeling of coming out of the Pit, or T & M, or Viajas Arena with a win after the fans hated you was priceless.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
EM_Puma wrote:
I miss the UNLV game, but not their fans. Competition overall a step down in the WCC, but programs a step up (classier, nice venues) compared to those in the MWC.


Hands down agree the WCC schools thus far have demonstrated more class than those teams we left behind in the MWC, but wasn't that the fun of it to beat fans that were in your face? The feeling of coming out of the Pit, or T & M, or Viajas Arena with a win after the fans hated you was priceless.


To an extent, yes, but the fans here in Las Vegas got to be so nasty I couldn't comfortably take my kids to the games.
E
EM_Puma
BYULV wrote:
BYULV wrote:
I miss the UNLV game, but not their fans. Competition overall a step down in the WCC, but programs a step up (classier, nice venues) compared to those in the MWC.


Hands down agree the WCC schools thus far have demonstrated more class than those teams we left behind in the MWC, but wasn't that the fun of it to beat fans that were in your face? The feeling of coming out of the Pit, or T & M, or Viajas Arena with a win after the fans hated you was priceless.


To an extent, yes, but the fans here in Las Vegas got to be so nasty I couldn't comfortably take my kids to the games.


True that. The last time my son and daughter went down to the MWC tournament in Vegas, some fans from one of the teams verbally berated my daughter just for the sport of it and I had similar experiences at RES with Puke fans and had decided to no longer go there for FB games. Fandom does at times cross the line and therefore make it a place unsuitable for families. I guess I'm caught up a bit, as a fan, in seeing so many really good teams in the MWC and seeing them battling it out with arenas brimming with exuberant fans.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.