Archived Topic

Our Offensive line

by frdbtr · 1/5/2013

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Here is a paragraph from Dick Harmon's article that I thought was very telling even though he didn't mean it to be.



"Anae believes in protecting the quarterback at all costs, a departure from what BYU has experienced the past two seasons with injuries to Jake Heaps (ribs), Riley Nelson (broken ribs, dislocated ribs, dislocated shoulder and surgery, a broken back), Taysom Hill (hyper-extended knee and season-ending surgery), and James Lark (unannounced concussion in the Poinsettia Bowl)."



Our offensive line has been terrible the past couple of years. All of these injuries cannot be blamed on scheme especially the one he reported about Lark. We went through 3 qb's this year and may have gone through more if Nelson hadn't played injured most of the year. That is completely ridiculous. I may have reservations about Anae as a play caller and game planner but he is a very good Oline coach and that is going to improve very quickly. If Doman decides to move on, I hope we can get Ty Detmer or Max Hall as our QB coach. I think both of those guys would do well. (Ty especially, Max is a firey guy is why I think he would do well there).
S
SpiffCoug
I don't think we need to waste a coaching position on Hall. He can easily be a GA and free up room for another coach.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
I don't think we need to waste a coaching position on Hall. He can easily be a GA and free up room for another coach.


My mention of Hall was simply a candidate if Doman doesn't retain the QB coaching position. My first choice would be Detmer, of course, and then Max if they can't land Detmer.
L
Lawboy
Scheme is a part of it, but technique too. Anae max protects usually and his backs better know how to block.
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
I don't think we need to waste a coaching position on Hall. He can easily be a GA and free up room for another coach.


Except he is only eligible to be a GA for 2013, and if he has 24 postgrad semester hours by the start of the Fall 2014 season he could do it for a third year.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Hall wasn't even a GA this past season. I thought he was still working on his undergrad degree.
S
Schmoe
Would that make him a UGA?
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
Hall wasn't even a GA this past season. I thought he was still working on his undergrad degree.


You're correct. I thought he was a GA, but apparently he was a "student assistant coach" as an undergraduate.
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
Hall wasn't even a GA this past season. I thought he was still working on his undergrad degree.


You're correct. I thought he was a GA, but apparently he was a "student assistant coach" as an undergraduate.


This is correct.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.