Archived Topic

So what will the new offense look like?

by SpiffCoug · 1/4/2013

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I'm not sure what type Anae will bring back. He could go several ways.
S
Schmoe
Is "predictable snail offense" not an option?
Y
YNot
I think we will see something similar to the very successful offenses we saw in '06-'09....but I'm sure there will be some new wrinkles. I could still see the occasional option to capitalize on Hill's athleticism.



Anae will revive the TE position in BYU's offense and we will see more passes to the RB's AND FB's ....and more passes to the receivers DOWN THE FIELD. I expect Lasike and Pritchard to turn into fan favorites and an important part of both the run and passing attacks, a la Fui and Manase.



Most importantly, I fully expect to see a revived oline that can provide better pass protection and actually open some holes and create some running lanes for the backs. This will ultimately prove to be the most important improvement to BYU's offense.



August 31 can't come soon enough!
S
SpiffCoug
Good thing we only have to wait about 8 more weeks before we get our first look at the new offense when Spring Ball starts!
C
Cougest
Schmoe wrote:
Is "predictable snail offense" not an option?


2005-2010 BYU had the best 3rd down percentage in the nation. Not bad results seeming how he was so predictable and all.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I would expect the offense to look a lot like it did when he was here before with maybe some new wrinkles.
S
Schmoe
Cougest wrote:
Is "predictable snail offense" not an option?


2005-2010 BYU had the best 3rd down percentage in the nation. Not bad results seeming how he was so predictable and all.


Were John Beck and Max Hall excellent QBs? Without a doubt. Is Robert Anae a good OC? For sure, but his predictability did cost us games.
E
EM_Puma
frdbtr wrote:
I would expect the offense to look a lot like it did when he was here before with maybe some new wrinkles.


Exactly. I believe RA is being given too much credit for how great our 3rd down efficiency was during his last reign. I believe personnel had more to do with that than RA's ability. I am stumbling not to remember those things that I really disliked about his performance. Many folks echoed my own feelings back then that the guy was fundamentally too stubborn to progress and admit he made a calculated error.



As a fan, I'm not happy, but I'm not going to turn my back on the program because I do have hope that he learned something. It bothers me that if he did leave of his own accord because of friction with Reynolds, that he took a position of less responsibility in leaving. How can I not question that in itself?
M
Mars


My question:



Will BYU's 2013 offense look more like 2012, 2010, or 2005? Because none of those are good options.
A
a1247
EM_Puma wrote:
I would expect the offense to look a lot like it did when he was here before with maybe some new wrinkles.


Exactly. I believe RA is being given too much credit for how great our 3rd down efficiency was during his last reign. I believe personnel had more to do with that than RA's ability. I am stumbling not to remember those things that I really disliked about his performance. Many folks echoed my own feelings back then that the guy was fundamentally too stubborn to progress and admit he made a calculated error.



As a fan, I'm not happy, but I'm not going to turn my back on the program because I do have hope that he learned something. It bothers me that if he did leave of his own accord because of friction with Reynolds, that he took a position of less responsibility in leaving. How can I not question that in itself?

So you have never been in a situation were leaving for less was a better for you than staying and hating every second your there? If you havent you are extremely lucky. But sometimes the saying less is more is very much true. If this was how it was for Anea then I understand. I just hope he doesn't come back and realize that there was more to his unhappiness than just Reynolds and again ends up unhappy. It's hard to be your best when your in that type of situation.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I spect it to look like what A&M is running. Pass first O with some spread option mixed in. Taysom has has similar qualities.
D
Ddawg
Lawboy wrote:
I spect it to look like what A&M is running. Pass first O with some spread option mixed in. Taysom has has similar qualities.


Took the words right out of my mouth. I watched a number of Texas A&M games this year. I kept thinking - "Yeah, Johnny is good - but - not any more talented than Taysom athletically."



I think the Cougs could study A&M game film from the last season and get some real pointers. I hope Anae gets a bag of Frito's and takes some notes.
S
SpiffCoug
I'd like to see our coaches go visit Texas A&M and Baylor. I think Taysom has some very similar skill sets to RGIII and Johnny Football that BYU can utilize.
L
Lawboy
Only difference between BYU and A&M/Baylor is that both those schools had awesome fast WRs. Deep threats on every play. IF Apo/Hoff become more like that, or at least get used like that more, I can see it. Make the D defend the entire field, and worry about deep. Not saying go Crowton and throw deep all the time, just make them worry about it more. Get that, and it could work. WIthout that threat, not sure it would be as effective. Those two teams have SPEED.
M
Mingjai
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'd like to see our coaches go visit Texas A&M and Baylor. I think Taysom has some very similar skill sets to RGIII and Johnny Football that BYU can utilize.


Interesting thing this year is that both teams you mentioned had offenses with strong Mike Leach ties--



Art Briles, head coach at Baylor, was a Mike Leach assistant

Kliff Kingsbury, A&M offensive coach, was a Mike Leach QB



Kingsbury is a real rising star--his complete coaching resume is two years at Houston as quality control assistant, two years as co-offensive coordinator, and a year at A&M as offensive coordinator. Now he's the head coach of Texas Tech.



And of course, BYU's new-old offensive coordinator also is part of that Mike Leach coaching tree.



That said, I still think BYU in terms of personnel and traditional recruiting base is better built after the Stanford, Wisconsin, or Michigan mode being tougher and stronger than the opposing team rather than faster or flashier. While it's good that Anae some diverse experience in Arizona under Rich Rod, every Michigan football fan I know curses Rich Rod for taking something that wasn't really broken and figuring out how to break it by imposing the wrong scheme.
Advertisement
C
Cougy_Monster
Mingjai wrote:

Interesting thing this year is that both teams you mentioned had offenses with strong Mike Leach ties--



Art Briles, head coach at Baylor, was a Mike Leach assistant

Kliff Kingsbury, A&M offensive coach, was a Mike Leach QB


And Leach got his inspiration from the Scoville/Holmgren/Chow Cougars.



And life comes full circle.
C
Cougs_Rule
Mingjai wrote:
I'd like to see our coaches go visit Texas A&M and Baylor. I think Taysom has some very similar skill sets to RGIII and Johnny Football that BYU can utilize.


Interesting thing this year is that both teams you mentioned had offenses with strong Mike Leach ties--



Art Briles, head coach at Baylor, was a Mike Leach assistant

Kliff Kingsbury, A&M offensive coach, was a Mike Leach QB



Kingsbury is a real rising star--his complete coaching resume is two years at Houston as quality control assistant, two years as co-offensive coordinator, and a year at A&M as offensive coordinator. Now he's the head coach of Texas Tech.



And of course, BYU's new-old offensive coordinator also is part of that Mike Leach coaching tree.



That said, I still think BYU in terms of personnel and traditional recruiting base is better built after the Stanford, Wisconsin, or Michigan mode being tougher and stronger than the opposing team rather than faster or flashier. While it's good that Anae some diverse experience in Arizona under Rich Rod, every Michigan football fan I know curses Rich Rod for taking something that wasn't really broken and figuring out how to break it by imposing the wrong scheme.


Is this why we have lost to Utah the last three years? Because we have lost that battle in the trenches of the Oline?
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Is this why we have lost to Utah the last three years? Because we have lost that battle in the trenches of the Oline?

I think one could make that argument. We lost in 2010 because the line couldn't block on a 40-yd FG. We lost in 2011 because the OL couldn't block - especially early in both halves leading to defensive fumble recovery TDs or very short fields for the Utes. And we lost in 2012 because the OL couldn't block long enough for Riley to get a pass off to an open and streaking Hoffman (now, whether the pass would have been completed we'll never know) and the line couldn't block on at least two FGAs that game as well.



So yes, I think we could say we have lost to the Utes because we lost the battles in the trenches.
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'd like to see our coaches go visit Texas A&M and Baylor. I think Taysom has some very similar skill sets to RGIII and Johnny Football that BYU can utilize.


Taysom may be similar athletically to Johnny Maizel, but A&M's Oline is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what we have seen in terms of our OLine's perfomance and execution. Johnny Maizel would have had problems operating behind our OLine
S
SpiffCoug
BoiseBYU wrote:
I'd like to see our coaches go visit Texas A&M and Baylor. I think Taysom has some very similar skill sets to RGIII and Johnny Football that BYU can utilize.


Taysom may be similar athletically to Johnny Maizel, but A&M's Oline is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what we have seen in terms of our OLine's perfomance and execution. Johnny Maizel would have had problems operating behind our OLine

Hopefully then, in visiting aTm and Baylor our coaches would pick up some good OL tips!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.