Archived Topic

Kaufusi thoughts

by CougarClaw · 1/4/2013

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
1) Holy. Arms. batman. The Captain Planet mantra came to mind: by all our centers combined...I AM KAUFUSI!



2) He looked like he was running football drills the whole time with the way his hyperactive feet kept prancing around.



3) his dribble looked two-handed. Fortunately for him, his hands are too big to fit both on the ball so no double-dribble calls



4) I really was hoping for a full-on tackle foul. I came away disappointed.



5) color me SHOCKED his shot went in. Good on him.



6) Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing him out there but Kaufusi looked like a garbage time or emergency option only. He clearly needs more time and do you really want to be taking game minutes away from our future center Harward?
G
Gunk
He's a project.



Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that Rose was getting flack for not taking on projects like Bronco did with Ziggy? Can't criticize anymore.



Problem is in the spring, which sport is Kaufusi going to practice? He'll start football back up and then during the summer how will he split his time? It's possible but will require a lot of work from him to get serious minutes.
Q
Qman
I wonder if was saw the same guy. I saw a guy who's hands looked great-quick and soft. He looked very nimble and quick for a guy 260ish.



Everyone wants to talk about the shot he made. I was more impressed with his balance and body control to avoid the offensive foul.



And more importantly he set a massive screen.



Yes, he will be an emergency option only until his knowledge of the offensive and defensive schemes get a lot better.



All in all, I was encouraged. In games that Sharp and Austin are getting pushed around, Kaufusi would hold his own.
G
Gunk
Qman wrote:
I wonder if was saw the same guy. I saw a guy who's hands looked great-quick and soft. He looked very nimble and quick for a guy 260ish.



Everyone wants to talk about the shot he made. I was more impressed with his balance and body control to avoid the offensive foul.



And more importantly he set a massive screen.



Yes, he will be an emergency option only until his knowledge of the offensive and defensive schemes get a lot better.



All in all, I was encouraged. In games that Sharp and Austin are getting pushed around, Kaufusi would hold his own.


Like I said, I think there is potential but it will take time and lots of practice for Kaufusi. If he can box out, rotate well in the zone then I'm all for him getting minutes.



I think some of what we saw was nerves. He'll get better.
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk you are right about being a project and that he will have to get timing, rotations, etc. he even played last night in garbage time against their second and third guys.

But either you are taking the other end of the spectrum to over-compensate for people's optimism and it seems you think he is a project on the magnitude of Ziggy.

He was an all-state awardee. Think Big-baby formerly of Boston, now with OK Thunder, iirc. A big body is a big body. He can still play D.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Gunk you are right about being a project and that he will have to get timing, rotations, etc. he even played last night in garbage time against their second and third guys.

But either you are taking the other end of the spectrum to over-compensate for people's optimism and it seems you think he is a project on the magnitude of Ziggy.

He was an all-state awardee. Think Big-baby formerly of Boston, now with OK Thunder, iirc. A big body is a big body. He can still play D.


I like to think I am in the middle.



I realize Kaufusi has played hoops and is an athlete. Rose wanted him before. We're getting a guy that can play. It's a question of how quickly and well he can pick up the game back up. His ability to do so, though, is completely dependent on the amount of time he has to devote to basketball. Right now there is plenty. But come Spring football will be calling again.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KYCoug
Goodness he's taken 1 shot and we already have critics!!! I don't see him having a major impact but I think you can't have too many bigs in the stable. He definitely adds some beef to our group of tall, slow, and skinny bigs (Davis excepted). Give him some time, see what he can do!
S
Schmoe
He's definitely a work in progress, but he's a big body down low and five fouls to give; I like it.
B
beauso79
Dude has some really good hands and can clear a path - bring it on. Hopefully he's ready for a increased role when we play Gonzaga at home and for the WCC tourny
D
Ddawg
Schmoe wrote:
He's definitely a work in progress, but he's a big body down low and five fouls to give; I like it.


+1. Bingo.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
I saw soft hands, quick feet and an athleticism refreshing in our big men. I know it was a few minutes of action, but he is not the work in progress that some of these lumbering seven foot oafs have been....
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.