Archived Topic

BYU vs LMU

by mizzoucoug · 1/4/2013

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Very underwhelmed by Davies' "fire" tonight. Nobody can shoot and Haws is nowhere to be found. We look flat once again. Not impressed with Delgado as option 3.
M
mizzoucoug
I still don't get why Zylstra gets minutes. As soon as he sat we went on a run just like we always do due to defense and better rebounding. Nice shots Carlino and Haws!
M
mizzoucoug
Carlino on fire! Keep it up Weapon X!
S
scott715
35-20 BYU at the half.
S
Schmoe
I just wanna see Kaufusi, c'mon coach!
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Kaufusi should get a few minutes at the end of this blowout.
S
Schmoe
Kaufusi time!
M
mizzoucoug
Soft touch bucket by Kafusi!
D
Ddawg
mizzoucoug wrote:
Soft touch bucket by Kafusi!


Wowzi! A new era has begun? Maybe? Maybe not.
S
Schmoe
Ddawg wrote:
Soft touch bucket by Kafusi!


Wowzi! A new era has begun? Maybe? Maybe not.


Probably not, but man was it fun to watch 260+ move up and down the court and hear the Cougar faithful cheer when he scored.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Great game by the Cougars, and another monster Sharp dunk!
C
Cougs_Rule
Sharp was a beast on the boards tonight. He is probably too skinny to be a beast, but he was all over the place. Love his springs and anticipation and wold be great to see him get 6-10 every night.

craigoscarson, you were right last year about Sharp.



It's still why I would love to see Kaufusi get up to speed and see a lineup of

Carlino

Haws

Sharp

Kaufusi

Davies
Q
Qman
Things I noticed:



Our zone (a 1-3-1/2-3 hybird) changed the game in our favor.



LMU was deadset to keep Haws and Davies from beating them. Carlino showed up and relieved some pressure off of Haws so he could score.



Delgado showed a nice pull-up on the drive. If he could get his fouling under control he should take all of Zylstra's minutes.



Cusick is solely a SG now. Winder appears to be slotted as a PG. Cusick finally made a shot.



Sharp has a great motor. He battled for every loose ball and every rebound. If he can ever put on some weight he would be a very good player for us.



Kaufusi looked like a better athlete than I knew. His hands especially look great.



Davies even without scoring was very important to our defense and rebounding.



Carlino played a great game. He scored. He had some great assists. He got 5 rebounds. He was the primary defender on Ireland. Yes he had a several bad turnovers and a few bad shots. But we have to take the good with the bad.



Haws played like himself.



For our future games, we need to keep phasing out Zystra. Ideally our man defense will improve enough to let us play it sometimes.
G
Gunk
Good game. Started out slow with Zylstra building a brick house. Anyone else see the fast break where Zylstra opted to take it in against two defenders rather than pass to a wide open Haws? I think that earned Zylstra a permanent trip to the bench.



Delgado should start at 2, though he needs watch the fouls.



I liked Carlino's game. Had some sick passes and great shooting. He needs to do it again. Get to the rim or shoot it from the outside with his feet set. I, for one, look forward to seeing what Carlino can do. He's only a sophomore. Let's also not forget the stellar defense he played against Ireland - WCC leading scorer.



Davies had a quiet night. They doubled him a lot and he did a good job of moving the ball around and not forcing things. He played a good game and I think only had one foul.



Sharp was awesome. Same with Haws.



I have mixed feelings on Kaufusi. Want to see him do well, but he looked a bit out of place out there.



Rose was mad about the team running up the score, but can't really blame the bench players. They want to get out and run too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
Gunk wrote:
I have mixed feelings on Kaufusi. Want to see him do well, but he looked a bit out of place out there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Huh, I thought he looked like he belonged athletically. He did look like he was a little lost but that is normal for his limited practice time.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Qman wrote:
I have mixed feelings on Kaufusi. Want to see him do well, but he looked a bit out of place out there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Huh, I thought he looked like he belonged athletically. He did look like he was a little lost but that is normal for his limited practice time.


I don't want to get down on the guy. He hasn't played competitive ball since his Junior year in high school. There's a big difference, though.



I think there's potential.
B
Brayden Green
Winder shouldn't be the backup PG. That is a mistake. It should be Calvert, all the way. He is a good little ballplayer.



It should be:



Carlino / Calvert

Delgado / Winder/ Cusick

Haws / Winder / Zylstra

Davies / Sharp / Auggie / HArward

Austin / Harward / Auggie / Sharp



Our best lineup, when we broke it all open, was when Zylstra hit the bench and we had the first team lineup that I have there. That is when we went on a 19-2 run and came from behind to put the game away.



The problem, is that Davies and Austin get way too many fouls for it to work, and that would severly hamstring us to have 2 starting bigs out with foul trouble.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.