Archived Topic

2012/2013 Player Rotation

by beauso79 · 1/3/2013

Advertisement
B
beauso79
It appears that Kaufusi will dress tonight, if his uniform arrives in time, and that Ambrosino might see time at the 3 as well. Anything that will eat into Zylstra's playing time is fine by me. I think Ambrosino would be a good play at the 3 as long as he starts hitting his 3's. He looks a little quicker than Sharp on defense and may be able to defend opposing teams 3's a little better than Zylstra. We definitely need some more length on the perimeter so other teams quit getting as many open looks and Ambrosino should provide that. I hope Zylstra takes a seat to Delgado tonight. Delgado looks like a completely different player right now and our team could definitely use the added offense. He and Carlino seem to feed off each other as well. Hopefully we build a decent lead tonight so Kaufusi can get some quality minutes.



Rotation I'd like to see:



1 - Carlino/Calvert/Winder

2 - Delgado/Haws

3 - Haws/Ambrosino/Zylstra

4 - Sharp/Austin/Kaufusi

5 - Davies/Harward/Austin



I really don't care if Zysltra and Cusick receive any more meaningful playing time. They are holding the team back because our team can't get better if they are on the floor. We've seen the best they have to offer an it's time to move on. Our offense runs so much better with Calvert playing the 1 than Cusick. Having Ambrosino at the 3 while Sharp is at the 4 should help our defense and rebounding as well. Once again I really hope Rose finds a way to phase out Zylstra using a combination of Haws, Delgado, and Ambrosino. I really think that Kaufusi can provide the same amount of production that Chris Collinsworth would have provided. CC had been hampered by injury for the last 3 years and would of had to get back into basketball shape/rhythm and rebuild his basketball muscle memory himself. The big advantage that CC would of had was that he would have been a lot more familiar with the offense.



Here's to an improved team for the New Year!!!!!
Q
Qman
Ambrosino isn't nearly quick enough to play the 3. He is a 4. He has played better defense by getting into position and keeping his hands high lately. Maybe if we play zone then Ambrosino can play some 3 on offense.



Delgado is earning more and more minutes. I believe for defensive purposes we need to keep giving Winder some time. Maybe he will find his offensive game sometime.



Personally I would like to see a rotation like this:



Carlino 28, Calvert 12

Delgado 25, Winder 15

Haws 32, Zylstra 8

Sharp 20, Austin 10, Ambrosino 10

Davies 32, Harward 8



Cusick is the emergency guard at both spots and Kaufusi is the emergency big. Maybe Bronson can earn his way onto the court during practice or as matchups dictate.



I see Calvert as earned minutes and Carlino is our best PG.



Delgado has earn the starting spot IMO.



Haws is best at the 3 because with another guard at the 2 we can spread the floor and shoot. For a few minutes a night Zylstra is our best SF option. He can rebound the ball and knows where to be on D.



Sharp is undersized but knows how to cut and finish. He also is a scrappy rebounder and a mobile defender.



I like Harward as the backup 5 because he plays big on the boards and on D.
G
Gunk
Delgado finally deciding to show up and play ball helps a lot.



Both Zylstra and Cusick should be backups to the backups. Appreciate their effort and what they've done, but the ceiling is much lower when they're on the court. Zylstra isn't playing as well as he did last season at this point.



Winder just doesn't look comfortable with the ball at PG and unfortunately his shot is off. (has it every been on?) I do like Winder's defense and speed. Perhaps regualr minutes will help his game, but it should be at the 2.



As much as I would like to see Haws at the 2, he'd be a liability on defense even more at the 2. Haws should stay at the 3. Zylstra can spare him a bit as can Ambronsino. Sadly, we're weak on defense at the 3 across the board.



At the 4 it should be Sharp or Austin depending on the other teams' lineup. We'll see how Kaufusi pans out, but I'm keeping my hopes in check. He's had just two weeks with the team after playing a completely different sport for the last 6 months.



Davies and Harward at the 5. The more minutes we can give to Harward late in the game the better as we're going to need him next season.
M
Mars
Qman wrote:
Ambrosino isn't nearly quick enough to play the 3. He is a 4. He has played better defense by getting into position and keeping his hands high lately. Maybe if we play zone then Ambrosino can play some 3 on offense.

Augie played some at the 3-position tonight, and I actually thought that he looked better and more natural there than he has at the 4. Might be a good back-up for Sharp, now that Bronson could start getting some 4-spot minutes...
Q
Qman
Mars wrote:
Ambrosino isn't nearly quick enough to play the 3. He is a 4. He has played better defense by getting into position and keeping his hands high lately. Maybe if we play zone then Ambrosino can play some 3 on offense.

Augie played some at the 3-position tonight, and I actually thought that he looked better and more natural there than he has at the 4. Might be a good back-up for Sharp, now that Bronson could start getting some 4-spot minutes...


Yes but only when we are playing zone. If he becomes our 'big' 3 and replaces Zylstra all the better.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Why oh Why is Zylstra still starting?? Really need Delgado's help on defense!!!!!
S
SpiffCoug
beauso79 wrote:
Why oh Why is Zylstra still starting?? Really need Delgado's help on defense!!!!!

Zylstra was key man in tonight's win.
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
Why oh Why is Zylstra still starting?? Really need Delgado's help on defense!!!!!

Zylstra was key man in tonight's win.

That he was. Was good to see him step up. If he keeps up that same intensity then he should stay on the court.
B
beauso79
Gunk wrote:
beauso79 wrote:
Why oh Why is Zylstra still starting?? Really need Delgado's help on defense!!!!!

Zylstra was key man in tonight's win.

That he was. Was good to see him step up. If he keeps up that same intensity then he should stay on the court.


I agree Zylstra was instrumental in last nights win but this is like the second game he's been worth anything on the floor. He's terrible on defense......I was just stating that due to recent play Delgado should have been starting instead. Also, what is Rose's deal in playing Cusick whenever we are down and need to come back to win?? Yeah I know he hit a couple HUGE 3's but when we were in that 1-3-1 zone I was just praying that USF didn't exploit Cusick at the back of it which would have been pretty easy. Seems like Rose relies too much at times on inferior players with experience than he does on talent. I think Auggie could have helped our team last night but I don't think he ever saw the floor. The USF game was way closer than it should have been and our defense was absolutely terrible in the first half
B
beauso79
Rose may be starting to trust Kafusi a little more. I mean he put him in the end of the 1st instead of Austin or Harward. If he can get to the point where we can run our offense through him and rebound well he might be pretty usefull. His rebound and put-back last night didn't look too tough for him
Advertisement
Q
Qman
beauso79 wrote:
Rose may be starting to trust Kafusi a little more. I mean he put him in the end of the 1st instead of Austin or Harward. If he can get to the point where we can run our offense through him and rebound well he might be pretty usefull. His rebound and put-back last night didn't look too tough for him


Everyone was in foul trouble. Though he played reasonably well.
C
Cougs_Rule
It could be argued he was more effective than Harward. an had like 3 fouls in about 4 minutes. Granted, we seem to be in BIG trouble next year without Davies and IH needs PT to get better. Bt its going to take more than PT to get IH to be ready.

At any rate, BK has a wide body and and fairly quick feet, quick enough to stay in front of a post player. Yes, he probably played bc everybody had foul trouble. But did any of you regret or moan that he was in there? I moaned that BD had a few ticky tack fouls, some his fault, but glad BK was available. Nt sure Augi is very effective defensively. Better than BK on O, sort of. If you look at points per minute, BK beats out AA.
G
Gunk
Cougs_Rule wrote:
It could be argued he was more effective than Harward. an had like 3 fouls in about 4 minutes. Granted, we seem to be in BIG trouble next year without Davies and IH needs PT to get better. Bt its going to take more than PT to get IH to be ready.

At any rate, BK has a wide body and and fairly quick feet, quick enough to stay in front of a post player. Yes, he probably played bc everybody had foul trouble. But did any of you regret or moan that he was in there? I moaned that BD had a few ticky tack fouls, some his fault, but glad BK was available. Nt sure Augi is very effective defensively. Better than BK on O, sort of. If you look at points per minute, BK beats out AA.


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I think a post up shot late in a blow out and a put back off a rebound are bit of a stretch to say Kaufusi has more value on offense than Ambrosino.



I'm glad we have Kaufusi, but to expect that he will be able to replace Davies next year or that he'll even be a starter is a bit much, IMO. Come spring/summer it will be back to football.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
Kaufusi doesn't need to do that much to be really good for our team.
B
beauso79
Poor Kaufusi still looks like a football player out there.......his swat last night was funny. He almost got T'd up for taunting........dude has an attitude perfect for a DE.....LOL

With KC's ability to play the 4 we may not see too much of Kaufusi next year



What do you guys think about this rotation next year 2013/2014:



1 - Carlino/Delgado

2 - Winder/Delgado

3 - Haws/Auggie/KC

4 - KC/Sharp/Austin/Worthington

5 - Mika/Austin/Harward



Personally I think KC looked good at the 4 when Davies went out in the Tourny. He may be too undersized but he plays hard and is scrappy. Kind of like Sharp but bigger/wider. If Sharp can put on 20 to 30 pounds in the off season it may make all the difference in the world for him at the 4.



I guess we are recruiting SF Sai Tummala from SLCC and a PG Trey Dickerson. Dickerson is good at defense and has great ball handling skills but his shot is still developing. Maybe a pass first PG would help free up Carlino to play off ball a little more. I guess it's still to be determined as to when Isaac Neilson returns from his mission though. I thought it was December 2013 but if he's back we may see Neilson at the 5 and Mika at the 4 which would make for an AWESOME/DEEP front court. Personally I hope Neilson is able to return in time
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
beauso79 wrote:
Poor Kaufusi still looks like a football player out there.......his swat last night was funny. He almost got T'd up for taunting........dude has an attitude perfect for a DE.....LOL

With KC's ability to play the 4 we may not see too much of Kaufusi next year



What do you guys think about this rotation next year 2013/2014:



1 - Carlino/Delgado

2 - Winder/Delgado

3 - Haws/Auggie/KC

4 - KC/Sharp/Austin/Worthington

5 - Mika/Austin/Harward



Personally I think KC looked good at the 4 when Davies went out in the Tourny. He may be too undersized but he plays hard and is scrappy. Kind of like Sharp but bigger/wider. If Sharp can put on 20 to 30 pounds in the off season it may make all the difference in the world for him at the 4.



I guess we are recruiting SF Sai Tummala from SLCC and a PG Trey Dickerson. Dickerson is good at defense and has great ball handling skills but his shot is still developing. Maybe a pass first PG would help free up Carlino to play off ball a little more. I guess it's still to be determined as to when Isaac Neilson returns from his mission though. I thought it was December 2013 but if he's back we may see Neilson at the 5 and Mika at the 4 which would make for an AWESOME/DEEP front court. Personally I hope Neilson is able to return in time


Kyle Collinsworth at the 4? Um, no! If KC is even being considered at the four, it means that we are in big trouble at that spot. Sharp is even longer and has better ups than KC. If we had some semblance of a 5 we could have Davies at the 4 this year. But we don't. Same thing next year. If some 5 could have emerge that has more than a high school game, Mika could slip into the 4. But as is, I would bet Mika is more ready and capable. It will probably be Austin and Mika playing bigs. Harward does look to have some really sharp elbows.
C
Cougs_Rule
As for "poor Kaufusi", he is no ones fool. We need him to develop more than most realize. We are weak, thin, undersized and out physical-ed and it showed horribly at Gonzaga.

It did look funny holding down the guy with one arm and blocking with the other. The ref even talked to him. I suspect telling him, this isn't football son. Bt it was relieving at the same time seeing some bulk and not just skin and bones.
B
beauso79
Cougs_Rule wrote:
As for "poor Kaufusi", he is no ones fool. We need him to develop more than most realize. We are weak, thin, undersized and out physical-ed and it showed horribly at Gonzaga.

It did look funny holding down the guy with one arm and blocking with the other. The ref even talked to him. I suspect telling him, this isn't football son. Bt it was relieving at the same time seeing some bulk and not just skin and bones.


Skin and bones is Sharp's biggest problem......he gets pushed around like a Rag doll against bigger 4's
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes. But love his effort every game. And great to see him filling gaps and crashing almost like a Dennis Rodman. Still hard to believe a 6'7 guy could weigh 180. I've got 20 pounds I'd love to give him.
B
beauso79
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Yes. But love his effort every game. And great to see him filling gaps and crashing almost like a Dennis Rodman. Still hard to believe a 6'7 guy could weigh 180. I've got 20 pounds I'd love to give him.


I'd give him 20lbs myself - how much weight could Sharp put on in the off season?? Stephen Rogers couldn't gain weight if his life depended on it. We can all hope KC is 6'8" now....lol
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.