Archived Topic

Andy Reid, HC or OC at BYU?

by BroncoBot · 12/31/2012

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Let's assume that BYU offers Andy Reid the HC or OC position. How many of ya'll would be pleased with this? Please announce your vote and why he would be better than Bronco or Doman.
B
BroncoBot
I'd love to see him at OC. He would have enough clout that Bronco could focus on the Defense and forget about the Offense. Not sure how this would play out as far as clock management though. Bronco and Reid are both notorious for looking like fools at the end of games and decision making.
M
mizzoucoug
Well, he'd be an improvement in both areas I daresay. I'm not sure what his credentials are as an OC (is being a HC enough?) but I think you take him in whatever capacity he desires.
B
BroncoBot
mizzoucoug wrote:
Well, he'd be an improvement in both areas I daresay. I'm not sure what his credentials are as an OC (is being a HC enough?) but I think you take him in whatever capacity he desires.

He basically dictated the offense in Phila.
S
SpiffCoug
mizzoucoug wrote:
Well, he'd be an improvement in both areas I daresay. I'm not sure what his credentials are as an OC (is being a HC enough?) but I think you take him in whatever capacity he desires.

Didn't he call the plays for the Eagles?



I think he would struggle as an HC at BYU. Being an HC in college and learning how to recruit and actually go recruiting is very different than simply evaluating players as an NFL head coach. They're very different animals and the learning curve could/would be very steep for Reid.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
HC



I guy like Reid isn't going to want to sit in the room and take orders from Bronco. Maybe I'm wrong.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:
HC



I guy like Reid isn't going to want to sit in the room and take orders from Bronco. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure Bronco would sit back and let Reid do his thing. Which is why I think he'd be great at OC. How much would things change though? Reid took a mobile qb in Vick and basically ended his career by putting all his eggs in the mobile qb basket. Although, Reid did have vick throwing a lot more than he did earlier in his career. Safe to say that except for vick's first year in Philadelphia, before defenses knew what was hitting them, that experiment failed. It would be interesting to see what offense Reid brought with him to BYU if he was to be OC.
G
Guest
If he joined the staff I'd want him as an OC. But I don't see there being much chance for that, and I'm not sure if his NFL mindset could translate to the college game.
M
MesaCougFan
Reid will have an NFL head coaching job by weeks end, if he wants it. There is no way that he considers a position with BYU. He wouldn't consider Holmoe's job (AD = GM). He is a tremendous coach, and will have his pick of NFL vacancies.
C
Cougs_Rule
BroncoBot wrote:
Well, he'd be an improvement in both areas I daresay. I'm not sure what his credentials are as an OC (is being a HC enough?) but I think you take him in whatever capacity he desires.

He basically dictated the offense in Phila.


Ya, so what's different between him and Bronco as far as dictating offense goes?



The only diff is that Reid called plays.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
This thread title and the poll question asks two different things.



Will he be at BYU?? Never. Unless he accepts a mission call to serve as a coach--which is ludicrous of course.



Would he mythically be better as an OC than Doman? Yes. But pigs don't fly.

Would he improve the HC situation? Pigs still don't fly. NO. He is one of the beloved coaches by his players, which is one of the reasons he has lasted so long, but I'm fairly certain that would not translate to snotty nosed High school recruits. this is simply not going to happen.
D
Ddawg
MesaCougFan wrote:
Reid will have an NFL head coaching job by weeks end, if he wants it. There is no way that he considers a position with BYU. He wouldn't consider Holmoe's job (AD = GM). He is a tremendous coach, and will have his pick of NFL vacancies.


+1. I think 7 HC in the NFL were fired this week. Andy Reid has the best resume of the bunch. I could see the AZ Cardinals interested in Reid. I could see Reid not interested in AZ.



As for Reid wanting to come to BYU if it was offered? That's a real tough question. I could see the death of his son having some influence in that decision. Perhaps Andy wants to step out of the pressure cooker NFL and focus more on the family? I don't know.



How about a 3rd choice in the "Poll"? Q: Is Andy Reid even interested in BYU? My gut feeling is, I don't think so.
S
snoscythe
I don't think Andy Reid is coming to BYU, and I don't think BYU really wants him at this point either.



Let me get this straight--people are upset about our quarterback fiascos, so they want a guy for whom 6 of the last 7 years as a HC have been defined by quarterback drama? People are upset that Bronco talks a big game and mentions national championships and never delivers, so they want a guy who talks about a Superbowl victory as a goal every year, but didn't deliver in 14 years? It may be harsh to say it, but do people really think BYU wants to trust a hundred 18-24 year old kids with Reid after his track record with his own sons?



I just don't get it. Career NFL guys who try to "retire" to the NCAA ranks fare very poorly. Bill Walsh only had one winning season at Stanford before sucking it up and getting canned. Bill Callahan brought all his NFL know how and eventually led Nebraska to its worst seasons in 50 years. June Jones may very well be the only NFL--turned NCAA coach who has fared reasonably well in the collegiate ranks.



I think a Reid hiring would be a catastrophe of epic proportions.
K
KYCoug
I think it's interesting this same conversation is going on up north in Puktah :utard:
J
Jbrad
I honestly can't believe I'm witnessing a debate over whether or not Andy Reid would be beneficial to the program? One of the the very best in the NFL and your not sure he can coach college? Getting Andy would be better than getting a Jabari every year, as an Eagles fan I've watched him restore a crappy team with crappy players. And are you kidding me about NFL coaches not making it in the pros, huh, somebody ought to tell Nick Saban and Pete Carrol that cause I'm pretty sure they have been two if the most dominant HC's in recent history. And recruiting, do you know why we lost Jabari, he wanted to play for a legend. Andy IS a legend, he'd get the players and assistants he wanted. There is no comparison that can be seriously considered for this position.
Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
The debate is not if Reid would make it as a college coach. It would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise. The fact is Reid would have to be out of his mind to consider the step back.
J
Jbrad
Two very good sources have indicated other wise. But only Andy knows where his heart is now.
S
snoscythe
MesaCougFan wrote:
The debate is not if Reid would make it as a college coach. It would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise.


Name all of the NFL coaches without previous high-level NCAA success who have gone to coach college football at a high level over a long period of time. I can't think of any. Bill Walsh sucked at Stanford after the 49ers---I daresay he is a much better coach than Reid has ever been on his best day.
S
snoscythe
Jbrad wrote:
And are you kidding me about NFL coaches not making it in the pros, huh, somebody ought to tell Nick Saban and Pete Carrol that cause I'm pretty sure they have been two if the most dominant HC's in recent history.


Saban and Carroll are much different than Reid--they are very successful college coaches who have, after that previous college coaching success, were lured to the NFL with varying success. Nick Saban is an NCAA coach who tried the NFL and failed miserably. He was successful at Toledo, Michigan State, and LSU before he tried the Dolphins. Carroll coached at Pacific, Arkansas, Iowa State, and Ohio State all before he went to the NFL. Andy Reid's high-water marks before the NFL were Northern Arizona and a year as Cosmo....hardly the same track record as those two.



Remember how excited ND was to land Charlie Weis and his "offensive scheme advantage" he was bringing from the NFL? How did that work for them?
G
Gucci33
I can tell you internally that boosters want Riid as the HC and Bronco as dc. Reid knows how to deal with boosters and show respect to the people who financially support the team.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.