Archived Topic

Should BYU Fire Bronco Mendenhall?

by Cougarbib · 12/24/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
We know what the vocal minority and Trolls think. They have spoken.



What do you think?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I oppose Broncos love fest of Riley. It obscured his vision, except for NMSU, and the bowl game. But he shouldn't be fired.
G
Guest
Clearly not.
G
Guest
Clearly not.
F
frdbtr
Not no, but Hell no.
Advertisement
B
BOID
Bronco's value as a defensive coach, even if for no other reason, should be enough justification for keeping him as long as he wants to continue. He obviously knows how to motivate the players and to win their devotion. Also, he fits the culture of BYU, and will never embarrass the institution.
D
Ddawg
Nope. Not even a consideration. For continuity, recruiting, stability, and the fact that BYU is a successful program - no way.



Now, is BYU a "super successful" program? No. Not many are. I would grade BYU as an A- program. To go from "good to great" is a monumental jump. I don't know if BYU can ever get there. The pieces that must fall into place are monumental.



Ultimately, Bronco is good for BYU football.
C
CAFB_04-12
Why are there separate posts with polls for each individual coach? Could this not have been accomplished with a single post with multiple selections in the poll?



Poor execution, I'm afraid.
C
Cougy_Monster
Bronco is one of the top 5 defensive coaches in the country. Bronco is to defense what Chow was to offense in his prime. Bronco should be allowed to stay as long as he wants. But he NEEDS to find an OC as good as he is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Why are there separate posts with polls for each individual coach? Could this not have been accomplished with a single post with multiple selections in the poll?



Poor execution, I'm afraid.

It was posted this way for clarity - of how the silent majority of fans feel about each coach with all of the comments about each coach in one place. You should be able to click on any one thread and see just how fans feel about that coach.



I suppose a multiple choice poll allowing posters to choose which coach(es) should be fired would achieve a different format that might be easier for posters and have a nice graph if all coaches in one thread - but comments about any particular coach would be scattered throughout the thread - and more difficult to follow for a specific coach. And the graph would just count the number if fire him votes or keep him votes - not show both for and against votes.



More importantly, the approach I took may have helped push some whiny, negative, obnoxious posts that seemed to indicate a very different picture further down and hopefully out.



Trade-offs either way. A hybrid would be nice. One graph of all coaches - but comments grouped by coach.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
Cougarbib wrote:



More importantly, the approach I took may have helped push some whiny, negative, obnoxious posts that seemed to indicate a very different picture further down and hopefully out.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

lol
C
Cougarfan87
Lavell had underachieving seasons, but you don't fire a coach for one disappointing season, or because he doesn't win every game you think he should. Bronco is great for what BYU wants out of the football program. I agree that he just needs an OC that is as talented as he is as a defensive coach. He also needs a better O line coach.



After watching Lark in the bowl game, I can see why Bronco may have thought an injured Riley gave us a better chance. He didn't, but I can see why he thought that--the Oline would make most QBs look bad, so he needed a mobile QB back there. Really he needs a new Oline coach badly.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.