Archived Topic

Thoughts on the bowl game

by a1247 · 12/21/2012

Advertisement
A
a1247
Thought #1. Rileys last pass of his career was a pick that if not for the penalty would have been yet another touchdown for the wrong team.



Thought #2. Rileys done! Don't let the door hit you in your flowing long hair on your way out.



Thought #3. KVN played the greatest defensive game ever played at BYU!



Thought #4 KVN may just be the greatest defensive player to ever play at BYU!



Thought #5. If the offense was anywhere near as good as the defense this could have been a bigger blow out.



Thought #6. BYU was one KVN away from wishing they had used all of there practices.



Thought #7. RILEY STEPHENSON was the second best player on the field tonight! Yes the punter of all players.



Thought #8. Great defense does win over a good offense. BYU's defense was once agin the best offense on the field again tonight. How many time this year has that happened.....



Thought #9. This was not just the last game of the season but the last football game ever. After the Mayan calender comes to end tomorrow at 4:36am it will all be over. Think about it the first game ever played and on ESPN and win will also be the last team to ever play on ESPN and win! :crazy:
B
Brayden Green
I don't want to kill your buzz, but #3 and #4 aren't even close...



Also, #9... Way off, I hope. ;)



Great win though, and I agree with everything else.
A
a1247
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I don't want to kill your buzz, but #3 and #4 aren't even close...



Also, #9... Way off, I hope. ;)



Great win though, and I agree with everything else.


Who and what game was better than KVN tonight?
A
a1247
KVN for the second straight year recorded a stat in every major defensive category not sure how many former players you can say that about.



And #9 could bring a very interesting morning.
S
StatsCougar
Greg Wrubell tweeted that for the second straight year, KVN had a stat in every defensive category. did he do it in just the bowl game?
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Rob Morris, and it's not even close. You must be young.



But kvn is amazing and ill be sad to see him go.
P
pvuproduct
I remember Morris, but I'm not sure I'd go with "not even close." Van Noy has forced more turnovers, has more tackles for loss, punts blocked, and sacks, and is even in QB hurries. Granted, Morris had plenty more tackles, and maybe he was better, but it's not a runaway, especially since the freight train has four years of stats to Van Noy's three...
S
scott715
He got a D stat in every category in just this game. WOW.
B
Brayden Green
pvuproduct wrote:
I remember Morris, but I'm not sure I'd go with "not even close." Van Noy has forced more turnovers, has more tackles for loss, punts blocked, and sacks, and is even in QB hurries. Granted, Morris had plenty more tackles, and maybe he was better, but it's not a runaway, especially since the freight train has four years of stats to Van Noy's three...


Lol, he barely played on defense before his mission. He was a kr and backup rb and played backup in defense as well.



I love me some kvn,don't get me wrong, but I don't see anyone ever matching a season like Morris had his junior year at byu again. You have to understand that they played different positions, and in different defensive sets. Middle lb is different from olb, especially in a 4-3 as opposed to a 3-4. I 147 total tackles is just unconscious. (114 unassisted). Morris got in that one year almost as many as kvns entire 3 years. And that was in a
A
a1247
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Rob Morris, and it's not even close. You must be young.



But kvn is amazing and ill be sad to see him go.


I remember the freight train very well thank you and I have the wooden train whistle they handed out his senior year along with 12 of his autographed football cards hanging on the wall of my office along with 300 other Cougar player autographs and memorabilia. Morris had a great bowl game against KSU in the Cotton bowl with his 6 sacks but how does that compare to 8 tackles a blocked punt 2 qb sacks one that caused a fumble that he recovered for a touch down and a interception for a TD. If KVN returns next year for his senior year IMO he might be a late 1st round pick or 2nd round pick. His strength and weight will hurt him in this years combine. I think he needs one more year to work on those two things and then he would have a chance to get drafted as high as Morris. And being 35 is not young but not old either :)
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Riley 's PER in his final game was -100. Which by my calculations is just slightly below the 135 PER standard.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
Riley 's PER in his final game was -100. Which by my calculations is just slightly below the 135 PER standard.


What was Lark's PER?
S
scott715
94 I think.
C
Cougest
a1247 wrote:
Rob Morris, and it's not even close. You must be young.



But kvn is amazing and ill be sad to see him go.


I remember the freight train very well thank you and I have the wooden train whistle they handed out his senior year along with 12 of his autographed football cards hanging on the wall of my office along with 300 other Cougar player autographs and memorabilia. Morris had a great bowl game against KSU in the Cotton bowl with his 6 sacks but how does that compare to 8 tackles a blocked punt 2 qb sacks one that caused a fumble that he recovered for a touch down and a interception for a TD. If KVN returns next year for his senior year IMO he might be a late 1st round pick or 2nd round pick. His strength and weight will hurt him in this years combine. I think he needs one more year to work on those two things and then he would have a chance to get drafted as high as Morris. And being 35 is not young but not old either :)


KVN wins the best all around game in my book. KVN is probably the better all around player too. 147 tackles by Rob is unreal and absolutely incredible though.
M
MesaCougFan
RM never did what KVN did last night!



Whatever NFL team gets KVN will be getting a steal. He will have the kind of career that London Fletcher (also undersized) has had. You can't teach ball hawking, and it isn't something that you can measure at the combine. KVN will fall to the 6th or 7th round after being told that he will be a likely 3rd or 4th rounder.



I know this is another crucify RN thread and all, but the pick was not an ill-advised throw. It hit his target in the hands. #1 didn't hold on (again), and once again RN gets blasted. The offense had more spark w/ RN at the helm. If he would have finished the game, the offense would have scored more pts. Than SDSU. I feel bad for RN. Getting yanked after the pick seemed punitive.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
MesaCougFan wrote:

I know this is another crucify RN thread and all, but the pick was not an ill-advised throw. It hit his target in the hands. #1 didn't hold on (again), and once again RN gets blasted. The offense had more spark w/ RN at the helm. If he would have finished the game, the offense would have scored more pts. Than SDSU. I feel bad for RN. Getting yanked after the pick seemed punitive.


True. On the replay, it showed the ball hitting the receiver right on the numbers. The ball bounced off his chest before he could secure it. It was a good throw.
C
crazycougar84601
a couple more thoughts...Why did SDSU bench Muema? 100 yards is his limit? SDSU also did not go to All American Tight End except for maybe twice.
S
Stirfry
Ddawg wrote:

I know this is another crucify RN thread and all, but the pick was not an ill-advised throw. It hit his target in the hands. #1 didn't hold on (again), and once again RN gets blasted. The offense had more spark w/ RN at the helm. If he would have finished the game, the offense would have scored more pts. Than SDSU. I feel bad for RN. Getting yanked after the pick seemed punitive.


True. On the replay, it showed the ball hitting the receiver right on the numbers. The ball bounced off his chest before he could secure it. It was a good throw.


Really? My perspective was the receiver's number and hands should have been another yard to the side and he could have caught the ball no problem iff he didn't have to stop/slow down to account for the ball being thrown behind him thus letting the defender be right on top of him. Apo could have fought harder for that ball but that was not a pass to be proud of.



I also have a tough time saying the offense had more spark with Riley in. He played like 4 plays and you picked up on that?



I do feel bad for Riley though. He doesn't deserve to go out like that and to have all the annimosity from the fans that he's had. The kid put everything he had into helping BYU win games.
M
Mingjai
Ddawg wrote:

I know this is another crucify RN thread and all, but the pick was not an ill-advised throw. It hit his target in the hands. #1 didn't hold on (again), and once again RN gets blasted. The offense had more spark w/ RN at the helm. If he would have finished the game, the offense would have scored more pts. Than SDSU. I feel bad for RN. Getting yanked after the pick seemed punitive.


True. On the replay, it showed the ball hitting the receiver right on the numbers. The ball bounced off his chest before he could secure it. It was a good throw.


To me, it looked either like a poor read or that the receiver ran a bad route, because receiver was blanketed and the defender was able to reach in between the receiver's arms and knock the ball out.



I just amazes me that Riley has a unique ability to be involved in opposing defensive TDs, whether result of the play is his fault or not. I'm curious if anyone knows the record for pick-6's in a season and career for a BYU QB...
Y
YNot
crazycougar84601 wrote:
a couple more thoughts...Why did SDSU bench Muema? 100 yards is his limit? SDSU also did not go to All American Tight End except for maybe twice.


SDSU only stopped using Meuma after the second fumble by Dingwell at the 14-yard line. At that point, it was 16-6 and SDSU had to go to the air to have a chance. May be Price has better hands than Meuma?
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.