Archived Topic

Taysom or Ammon: who will look better in spring into summer?

by Cougs_Rule · 12/17/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Thought I would start to look forward to the post Heaps-Nelson years.



Assuming Taysom is healthy and held back from running to avoid re-injury; and assuming he is forced to focus on passing (since it is already known what he can do running);...



Who will look better in the next round of "Who's the next QB?"
Y
YNot
Not really much to base my opinion on, but Taysom will be the favorite. He does have excellent speed and will be an asset to the team, whether he starts at QB, plays some wildcat, or otherwise. He still needs to prove that he can throw the ball effectively.



Olsen's ball looks good in pre-game warmups and drills.
J
jonnylingo
Taysom is my favorite. I would love to see munns have some fire and give these guys a real push for reps.
F
frdbtr
I'm pretty sure Taysom is the guy. From what I am hearing in the media (cougar sports saturday), he is going to be good to go for spring ball. I haven't seen Ammon Olson play but Taysom is a rare talent that can throw and run that we haven't seen since Steve young and may never see again at BYU.
S
snoscythe
From what I've heard, Bronco is already in Ammon Olsen's corner.



Brandon Doman said (paraphrased): "Bronco doesn't mention quarterbacks by name often, but he has been more complimentary of Ammon than any quarterback since John Beck, so that's saying something." This was at the Cougar Club luncheon for November.



If Olsen's the guy, it's going to be hard sell on fans who are somewhat familiar with Hill and will be yelling for Hill every time Olsen or the offense make a mistake or underperform.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:
From what I've heard, Bronco is already in Ammon Olsen's corner.



Brandon Doman said (paraphrased): "Bronco doesn't mention quarterbacks by name often, but he has been more complimentary of Ammon than any quarterback since John Beck, so that's saying something." This was at the Cougar Club luncheon for November.



If Olsen's the guy, it's going to be hard sell on fans who are somewhat familiar with Hill and will be yelling for Hill every time Olsen or the offense make a mistake or underperform.


He was just trying to make it appear that the decision hasn't already been made. Taysom is the guy.
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:
From what I've heard, Bronco is already in Ammon Olsen's corner.



Brandon Doman said (paraphrased): "Bronco doesn't mention quarterbacks by name often, but he has been more complimentary of Ammon than any quarterback since John Beck, so that's saying something." This was at the Cougar Club luncheon for November.



If Olsen's the guy, it's going to be hard sell on fans who are somewhat familiar with Hill and will be yelling for Hill every time Olsen or the offense make a mistake or underperform.


He was just trying to make it appear that the decision hasn't already been made. Taysom is the guy.


That's your take. My take is that it's undecided as of yet, and the more people claim that it's already settled with Taysom as the guy before we even have Spring Ball, the more likely we are to have a repeat of the clusterflub that has been the BYU quarterback position the last 3 years.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
From what I've heard, Bronco is already in Ammon Olsen's corner.



Brandon Doman said (paraphrased): "Bronco doesn't mention quarterbacks by name often, but he has been more complimentary of Ammon than any quarterback since John Beck, so that's saying something." This was at the Cougar Club luncheon for November.



If Olsen's the guy, it's going to be hard sell on fans who are somewhat familiar with Hill and will be yelling for Hill every time Olsen or the offense make a mistake or underperform.


He was just trying to make it appear that the decision hasn't already been made. Taysom is the guy.


That's your take. My take is that it's undecided as of yet, and the more people claim that it's already settled with Taysom as the guy before we even have Spring Ball, the more likely we are to have a repeat of the clusterflub that has been the BYU quarterback position the last 3 years.


The reason they redshirted Ammon and didn't redshirt Taysom is to spread them out by a year. Maybe you are right and the competition is open but I am 99% sure that Taysom will be our starter next year. Just like when we went into spring with Max Hall in 2007, I can't remember his competition that year but even though the spring competition was supposed to be "close" up until injury ended it, Max was always the guy.
C
Cougs_Rule
Amen!! Sno, maybe i dont get around much, but Clusterflub, I like it! It is a great PG-rated Alternative to my other fake swearing, slightly obscured, but clearly inappropriate "FUBAR"



I had heard what you quoted from Bronco, but didn't know the reference.



Frdbtr, how come I'm not surprised. WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER Qb who thinks with his feet!!! That is a horrible measure of talent. I love Taysoms athleticism, but if BD plays a redux of 2012's "Running Man" routine, not only will THill get injured--again--but BD should absolutely get fired!!!! And if Bronco mandates that Doman does this, he should get fired too.

Have you watched. Colin Kapernick in SanFran? Did you watch Lark? A great running QB who can't throw ought to play defense just like a fast WR who can't catch should play DB. Plain and simple.

If THill proves he can throw, then great, a true triple threat QB. But that QB has to be Pass first or BYU will have another Clusterflub, indeed!!
S
Schmoe
The real answer to this question is a resounding "YES!" Yes, we'll take Taysom or Ammon next year.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Which ever guy gives the best chance to win in each game is the guy I want. I don't even care if that guy is different half way through the season, now is not the time to get married to any one guy.
F
frdbtr
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Amen!! Sno, maybe i dont get around much, but Clusterflub, I like it! It is a great PG-rated Alternative to my other fake swearing, slightly obscured, but clearly inappropriate "FUBAR"



I had heard what you quoted from Bronco, but didn't know the reference.



Frdbtr, how come I'm not surprised. WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER Qb who thinks with his feet!!! That is a horrible measure of talent. I love Taysoms athleticism, but if BD plays a redux of 2012's "Running Man" routine, not only will THill get injured--again--but BD should absolutely get fired!!!! And if Bronco mandates that Doman does this, he should get fired too.

Have you watched. Colin Kapernick in SanFran? Did you watch Lark? A great running QB who can't throw ought to play defense just like a fast WR who can't catch should play DB. Plain and simple.

If THill proves he can throw, then great, a true triple threat QB. But that QB has to be Pass first or BYU will have another Clusterflub, indeed!!


Actually I have watched Kapernick at SF and that is why you should be excited about Taysom. Taysom's style of play is much closer to Kaepernick than Olson's is. Taysom throws just fine. The reason he ran a lot last year is because he was a freshman playing fresh off a mission, wasn't familiar with the offense and was playing against a very good defense vs USU and against Hawaii, they simply didn't have an answer for his athleticism. A year in the offense and he will be much better or did you not pay attention to Chuckie Keaton at USU over the last couple of years?
F
frdbtr
I will support whomever gets chosen too, but if I were to put money on whom it is going to be my money would be on Taysom. Don't start hating on the kid just because he is athletic and put him into the category of running QB's who can't throw.
C
Cougs_Rule
There is no hate for Taysom. Just concern for his health. And what exact evidence do you have that Taysom is not a run first QB? I sincerely hope and believe that he can pass first. but to date, we have overwhelming evidence that he can run and underwhelming evidence that he can throw, albeit a far better arm than Riley. He's the only reason on offense that we beat USU. Riley would have lost to USU or resorted to lucky huck-a-ducks.
F
frdbtr
Cougs_Rule wrote:
There is no hate for Taysom. Just concern for his health. And what exact evidence do you have that Taysom is not a run first QB? I sincerely hope and believe that he can pass first. but to date, we have overwhelming evidence that he can run and underwhelming evidence that he can throw, albeit a far better arm than Riley. He's the only reason on offense that we beat USU. Riley would have lost to USU or resorted to lucky huck-a-ducks.


The funny thing is, on the drive that ended up being the only score of the game for BYU(vs usu), he beat them with his arm. Taysom is just like any other very athletic young QB, he looks at his early options for throwing and if they are not open he tries to make a play with his legs. Look at how much Chuckie Keaton improved on that from his freshman to sophomore year. Give him a year in the offense and he will be a better thrower, 2 years even better, as a Sr, just about unstoppable and looking to go early in the NFL draft. This kid is really, really good.
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
Cougs_Rule wrote:
There is no hate for Taysom. Just concern for his health. And what exact evidence do you have that Taysom is not a run first QB? I sincerely hope and believe that he can pass first. but to date, we have overwhelming evidence that he can run and underwhelming evidence that he can throw, albeit a far better arm than Riley. He's the only reason on offense that we beat USU. Riley would have lost to USU or resorted to lucky huck-a-ducks.


What gave me optimism was Hill's first play. On 4th and 1 he had the first but instead looked downfield and threw the TD pass. That to me separated him from the run first, I gota do it myself attitude.

In his other games it looked to me that what I was seeing from him was a guy still figuring out the offense. On his TD play it was basically the wildcat and that was what he had practiced. In his starts he was trying to learn the rest of the o sets.
M
mizzoucoug
imuakahuku wrote:
There is no hate for Taysom. Just concern for his health. And what exact evidence do you have that Taysom is not a run first QB? I sincerely hope and believe that he can pass first. but to date, we have overwhelming evidence that he can run and underwhelming evidence that he can throw, albeit a far better arm than Riley. He's the only reason on offense that we beat USU. Riley would have lost to USU or resorted to lucky huck-a-ducks.


What gave me optimism was Hill's first play. On 4th and 1 he had the first but instead looked downfield and threw the TD pass. That to me separated him from the run first, I gota do it myself attitude.

In his other games it looked to me that what I was seeing from him was a guy still figuring out the offense. On his TD play it was basically the wildcat and that was what he had practiced. In his starts he was trying to learn the rest of the o sets.


Yes. That is the kind of awareness and confidence that we should all want in a QB. I think Doman should've lost his job the way he got Hill killed in those games. Like frdbtr pointed out the only time we scored vs USU was when he was using his arm instead of running the freaking option every down. Ergo, I trust his arm and we have seen that he has great accuracy and zip.



That being said I don't care who wins as long as they can make all the throws.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
I have two thoughts:

First
Cougs_Rule wrote:
It is a great PG-rated Alternative to my other fake swearing, slightly obscured, but clearly inappropriate "FUBAR"

There is absolutely nothing innapropriate about calling something Flubbed Up Beyond Repair. So dont apologize for saying FUBAR



Second
Cougs_Rule wrote:
And what exact evidence do you have that Taysom is not a run first QB?"

What evidence do you have that he is? Was there a time that a pass play was called and Taysom chose to run instead? Is it possible that we saw him run more than pass because he was thrust into a run-oriented scheme?
C
Cougarfan87
What I want from an athletic QB is someone who can make all the throws to receivers in stride--not hang them out to dry. They can wobble like the passes Detmer threw or be bullets like Heaps could throw, but I want them to get the receiver in stride. Then if the play breaks down, and there are no other immediate options, I want the QB to try and make a play with his legs...still looking down field in case something comes open before he crosses the line. If he crosses the line, I want him to get as many yards as he can and then get down or out of bounds before he takes any big hits. And since we don't play for a service academy, I never want my valuable QB running the option again.



But then again, who cares about what I want?
C
Cougs_Rule
I do. This is all I am suggesting. I love Taysom. I loved what he did in his first play. I think Doman and Bronco--yes Bronco, unnecessarily turned him into a run first qb after the false image of their Riley-god.

Taysom could have had a sprt of Jonny Manziel-like year, if coached correctly and had an Oline and Oline coach who was effective. Taysom is smart enough as evidenced by several factors, including his first play decision. So, yes, that is great evidence. I should have said what evidence do we have that Taysom wasn't being coached by a run first butcher of an OC.

Not to mention a head coach who preferred a running freshman over a throwing Sr.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.