Archived Topic

Ross Apo = Average at Best

by snoscythe · 12/17/2012

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I think it's time we get over the fact that Ross Apo was offered by Texas in 2009 and realize that at the end of 2012 he is, at best, an average WR. Whether he was ruined by injury or just hit his ceiling in HS, he's just not a #1 type receiver. Some blame the QB, but the QB issues have not prevented Cody Hoffman (Sacramento State was the only other school to offer him a scholarship) from a monster year.



Take this observation from Greg Wrubell: "Ross Apo went the entire regular season as a starting WR and did not record a single third-down conversion. Cody Hoffman led BYU with 26."



So lets forget high school stuff and pay attention to what's happened on the field. Apo to this point has started all 12 games this season, but managed only 29 receptions. As a comparison, Skyler Ridley has not started a single game, but has managed 20 receptions in limited playing time and just as many touchdowns as Apo (1). Maybe it's time for Apo to step up or step back?
G
Guest
I think it's fair to say he's average at best. He doesn't fight for the ball, nor is he particularly speedy or sharp in his routes. He's not bad, but he's not great either.
M
mizzoucoug
Been saying this since his Freshman year and got attacked for it. Although he was a bit more productive that year.
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes, I would feel safe to say that the data far outweighs any HS hype. Wow, Another bust from that class. Is too bad. A lot of physical potential along with a lot of mental/attitudinal deficiencies. Texas would have likely buried Ross in the depth chart if his productivity looked like this. Or maybe Ross has not had any alpha Dog challengers overtly nipping at him and or Bronco and as such, he's been a starter, but marginalized by the qb.

What is the ratio of balls thrown vs catches? And then there is always that chance that Hoff was Rleys guy and in Riley's mind Apo was Heaps guy and therefore not really a guy he wanted to "help out". The numbers were skewed almost directly opposite when Heaps was in. More balls to Apo, less to Hoff. That has to play in somehow. It's consistent with Riley's M.O.
J
jonnylingo
I remember apo getting a lot more passes when heaps was qb. he has certainly not proven he is very much above average to this point but he has all the tools to be great. injuries have hampered him as well as the quarterback he has been playing under. i still have hope he will have a break out type year with a quarterback that has a better arm. He still has a lot of room to grow. he has not reached his ceiling.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
For those pointing at RN--where was Apo at NMSU?? We saw what Hoffman did with a better passer, but what did Apo do?
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
For those pointing at RN--where was Apo at NMSU?? We saw what Hoffman did with a better passer, but what did Apo do?


He ran poor routes, didn't fight for the ball or separation, and didn't get many catches. Just like he has always done at BYU.
S
SpiffCoug
I'll have to go back and find a previous post I had on this where I broke it down by QB (Nelson & Heaps), but for now I think suffices.



In 2011, Apo was targeted 75 times and had 34 catches (.453). Hoffman had 61 catches on 91 targets (.670).



In 2012, Apo had 29 catches on 53 targets (.547). Hoffman was targeted 136 times and had 90 catches (.662).



One guy catches the balls that come his way and one guy doesn't.
L
Lawboy
HE's just a sophie, so I'll give him one more year before I decide. Underclassmen rarely have great seasons. Collie and Hoff are the exceptions, not the rule.
Advertisement
S
scott715
i fear that SDSU will double team Hoffman on 3rd down attempts. Apo may need to step you on Thursday with just single coverage. I think Lark is smart enough to adjust. I don't think RN would.
J
jonnylingo
scott715 wrote:
i fear that SDSU will double team Hoffman on 3rd down attempts. Apo may need to step you on Thursday with just single coverage. I think Lark is smart enough to adjust. I don't think RN would.


Double teaming Hoffman hasn't stopped him in the past.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'll have to go back and find a previous post I had on this where I broke it down by QB (Nelson & Heaps), but for now I think suffices.



In 2011, Apo was targeted 75 times and had 34 catches (.453). Hoffman had 61 catches on 91 targets (.670).



In 2012, Apo had 29 catches on 53 targets (.547). Hoffman was targeted 136 times and had 90 catches (.662).



One guy catches the balls that come his way and one guy doesn't.


I think we have to keep in mind the plays that are being called for the two as well. by nature of their positions hoffman is getting higher completion types of throws. that said that is just one factor. hoffman is obviously better than apo. i thought however the discussion was about apo and if he is above average or not.
S
SpiffCoug
No, Hoffman just catches the ball better. Hoffman routinely makes tough catches on poor throws, or throws in his general area, or beats his defender to the ball.



Not all of the passes thrown to him were like his last TD catch vs NMSU.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:
I think it's time we get over the fact that Ross Apo was offered by Texas in 2009 and realize that at the end of 2012 he is, at best, an average WR. Whether he was ruined by injury or just hit his ceiling in HS, he's just not a #1 type receiver. Some blame the QB, but the QB issues have not prevented Cody Hoffman (Sacramento State was the only other school to offer him a scholarship) from a monster year.



Take this observation from Greg Wrubell: "Ross Apo went the entire regular season as a starting WR and did not record a single third-down conversion. Cody Hoffman led BYU with 26."



So lets forget high school stuff and pay attention to what's happened on the field. Apo to this point has started all 12 games this season, but managed only 29 receptions. As a comparison, Skyler Ridley has not started a single game, but has managed 20 receptions in limited playing time and just as many touchdowns as Apo (1). Maybe it's time for Apo to step up or step back?


This is what I noticed when I went to the OSU game live this year. Apo looked like he was either slow or trotting in his routes. I am not going to make judgements that he wasn't trying hard but he simply looked slow in his routes. If he was putting less than 100% into his game, he needs to be benched and someone else givin his spot that wants it more.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
frdbtr wrote:
I think it's time we get over the fact that Ross Apo was offered by Texas in 2009 and realize that at the end of 2012 he is, at best, an average WR. Whether he was ruined by injury or just hit his ceiling in HS, he's just not a #1 type receiver. Some blame the QB, but the QB issues have not prevented Cody Hoffman (Sacramento State was the only other school to offer him a scholarship) from a monster year.



Take this observation from Greg Wrubell: "Ross Apo went the entire regular season as a starting WR and did not record a single third-down conversion. Cody Hoffman led BYU with 26."



So lets forget high school stuff and pay attention to what's happened on the field. Apo to this point has started all 12 games this season, but managed only 29 receptions. As a comparison, Skyler Ridley has not started a single game, but has managed 20 receptions in limited playing time and just as many touchdowns as Apo (1). Maybe it's time for Apo to step up or step back?


This is what I noticed when I went to the OSU game live this year. Apo looked like he was either slow or trotting in his routes. I am not going to make judgements that he wasn't trying hard but he simply looked slow in his routes. If he was putting less than 100% into his game, he needs to be benched and someone else givin his spot that wants it more.


something has to be said about him almost never being thrown to.
F
frdbtr
jonnylingo wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
I think it's time we get over the fact that Ross Apo was offered by Texas in 2009 and realize that at the end of 2012 he is, at best, an average WR. Whether he was ruined by injury or just hit his ceiling in HS, he's just not a #1 type receiver. Some blame the QB, but the QB issues have not prevented Cody Hoffman (Sacramento State was the only other school to offer him a scholarship) from a monster year.



Take this observation from Greg Wrubell: "Ross Apo went the entire regular season as a starting WR and did not record a single third-down conversion. Cody Hoffman led BYU with 26."



So lets forget high school stuff and pay attention to what's happened on the field. Apo to this point has started all 12 games this season, but managed only 29 receptions. As a comparison, Skyler Ridley has not started a single game, but has managed 20 receptions in limited playing time and just as many touchdowns as Apo (1). Maybe it's time for Apo to step up or step back?


This is what I noticed when I went to the OSU game live this year. Apo looked like he was either slow or trotting in his routes. I am not going to make judgements that he wasn't trying hard but he simply looked slow in his routes. If he was putting less than 100% into his game, he needs to be benched and someone else givin his spot that wants it more.


something has to be said about him almost never being thrown to.


You throw to the guys who get open. When someone is almost never open, you quit looking for them. I watched Apo a bit in the OSU game and he simply never beat his guy, looked like he was just trotting in his routes and not trying very hard. Maybe he was just not fast, or he had quit trying because he wasn't getting looked for, but that doesn't explain why Skyler Ridley came in for Hoff in game 1 and had a great game. Was Nelson ignoring Apo in that game too? It seems to me that Apo would become the go to guy when Hoff went down, but he wasn't.
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'll have to go back and find a previous post I had on this where I broke it down by QB (Nelson & Heaps), but for now I think suffices.



In 2011, Apo was targeted 75 times and had 34 catches (.453). Hoffman had 61 catches on 91 targets (.670).



In 2012, Apo had 29 catches on 53 targets (.547). Hoffman was targeted 136 times and had 90 catches (.662).



One guy catches the balls that come his way and one guy doesn't.


Good points by you guys, except 1 more catch out of 10 hardly makes as dramatic and dichotomous a statement as "one guy catches and one guy doesn't"--even though generally I agree, especially about the "getting open" stat. Collie ran great routes BUT even more, he created separation. Even Hoffman struggled with creating separation last year. Tis year better. But yes, Apo can't seem to take it to next level.

I would wager, however, that if Hoff doesn't go pro, that there will be more distribution next year with Hill than there was this year with RN. Hoff saved RN from even worse ruin bc he would go get the ball. And Apo wouldn't. So I get that.
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
For those pointing at RN--where was Apo at NMSU?? We saw what Hoffman did with a better passer, but what did Apo do?

No kidding. BTW - Heaps ruined whatever grit Apo had by hanging him out to dry - concussion - over the middle on multiple occasions. Apo now seems tentative when the ball comes his way.

And he did not exactly set the world on fire playing for Heaps.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I'll have to go back and find a previous post I had on this where I broke it down by QB (Nelson & Heaps), but for now I think suffices.



In 2011, Apo was targeted 75 times and had 34 catches (.453). Hoffman had 61 catches on 91 targets (.670).



In 2012, Apo had 29 catches on 53 targets (.547). Hoffman was targeted 136 times and had 90 catches (.662).



One guy catches the balls that come his way and one guy doesn't.


Good points by you guys, except 1 more catch out of 10 hardly makes as dramatic and dichotomous a statement as "one guy catches and one guy doesn't"--even though generally I agree, especially about the "getting open" stat. Collie ran great routes BUT even more, he created separation. Even Hoffman struggled with creating separation last year. Tis year better. But yes, Apo can't seem to take it to next level.

I would wager, however, that if Hoff doesn't go pro, that there will be more distribution next year with Hill than there was this year with RN. Hoff saved RN from even worse ruin bc he would go get the ball. And Apo wouldn't. So I get that.


It was over 2 of 10 last year and over 1 if 10 this year difference. But if you further that a blind squirrel gets 50% of the nuts because they are out in the WIDE OPEN easy area - then a .1 or .2 or .25 total difference tells a bigger story about who digs out the tough nuts to crack.



And how many games would one more catch have changed a loss into a win. Tiny percentages were the difference this year.







:)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.