Archived Topic

Poor In Game Coaching Decisions cost BYU 2-3 games

by jvquarterback · 12/16/2012

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
I long ago stopped trying to justify or condemn BM and BD for there personnel decisions because I just don't have the data to support personnel decisions.



However we can easily evaluate BD and BM in their in-game decisions because we have the data. So I've compiled a list of what I think are the best and worst in-game clock management and point differential decisions on the part of BD and BM.



General insights. Clock management improved as the season went on, particularly not wasting timeouts early in each half. Bronco did this on defense in the Utah and BSU games and it killed the team at the end of the half as they were trying to score points. To end the season there was one defensive timeout in the final 5 games.



On 4th and < 5 when going for it BYU was 13/17 on the year. (BYU did not go for it 12 times when on their 44 yd line or closer). I thought the play-calling was improving in this respect later in the year until the SJSU game in the third quarter. When on three separate occasions in the third quarter the coaches decided to punt on 4th and < 5 inside the BYU 44 yd line.



On 4th and 5-12 when going for it BYU was 3/5 on the year. (BYU did not go for it 5 times while inside the opponents 40 yd line)



On 4th and intermediate near midfield (with-in the BYU 45 yd line) BYU punted 9 times. Net yardage in these situations for BYU was ~27.1 yards for the season. Pinning the opposing team back is great theater but it is a poor coaching decision. The only time this worked successfully for BYU was against Idaho (resulting in a touchdown). It failed against Utah, BSU, ND and SJSU. Most data show a team "pinned" back gains more yardage than on a regular series (probably because they have more yards on the field ahead of them). There is no data I know of that indicates field position is won by punting in these situations.



By my estimation BM left ~35 points on the board in these 4th down situations while saving ~17 meaning the point differential for the season would have been +18 if he had decided to go for it rather than punt in those situations. That means the offense would have scored 35 more points if they had gone for it in all 17 oppotunities but the defense would have given up 17 additional points if they had gone for it in all of those situations.



This would have resulted in 2-3 more wins as the errors were concentrated in the SJSU, Utah, BSU and ND games.



So if BM and BD were to come out of the dark ages in coaching BYU would have ended the season 9-3 or 10-2 no matter what you think of their personnel decisions.
C
Cougarfan87
I believe there is something to your analysis. I know that the statistics on field position show that drives starting way back do not end in points a certain percentage of the time, and that is what Bronco is banking on. However, like you pointed out, it also means that we are missing the opportunity to score some points. So what to do?



I believe a great coach knows how to view the tempo/trend/momentum of the game, and make educated decision based on that. For example, in an extremely close game where neither offense is moving the ball particularly well, you probably want to punt on 4th and five at the 40. However, if during that drive, you are making those gains left and right and you feel like the offense is clicking, you go for it.



The great coaches know how to read their teams and make the appropriate decision. I probably would not be a great coach because I would want to go for it everytime, which may result in points in the other direction in a close game, and some losses. So due to my agressive nature, I am always disappointed when we punt from the forty, the ball rolls in the end zone, and we net 20 yards. But, Bronco has won a lot more games than I have, so what do I know?
Q
Qman
IMO the punt vs not to punt is a relatively small change.



I would be more worried about the BSU 2 point conversion and all the defensive time outs.
J
jvquarterback
Timeouts were a big issue early in the season but got better as time wore on. A five yard penalty is almost always preferable to using an offensive timeout and usually preferable to a defensive timeout. I would say the 2pt conversion had a 70% chance of success so was a good call. The subsequent call to not go for an onside kick was terrible. The chance of getting the ball back in that situation when kicking away is less than an onside kick.



Every time BM or BD chose to not go for it on 4th and < 5 inside BYUs 40 yd line they gave up a point. It is really that simple. So BM gave up 17 points on terrible play calling. He was 50/50 on making the right calls in these situations. Whoever mad the calls in the SJSU game needs to be taken care of.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.