Archived Topic

BYU vs. Weber

by mizzoucoug · 12/16/2012

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Great game so far. Weber has some good, athletic ballers. If they were better at shooting 3's and FT's they'd be ahead in this one.



Davies is playing his best game of the year by far and Carlino is officially no longer a turnover machine and is making the right play most of the time.



Austin is playing well on the boards as well and is manning up by going back up strong finally.



I like Calvert's speed and confidence--it is refreshing to see a PG regularly take it to the hole. Delgado also has some good hands and speed. With these two available I'm not sure why Cusick gets any minutes. I see much more potential and game-changing ability with these guys. Cusick is Austin Ainge w/o a reliable shot.



Anyway, the zone looks better but has had a couple bad lapses. If we can shore up the zone and play it like we did Jimmer's last year then there is actually a chance (low as it may be) that we become a tourney team. Our offense isn't good enough to outscore most teams so Rose needs to get our best athletes out there on the defensive end.
B
BroncoBot
Really like Delgado and Calvert. Both gave some solid minutes tonight.
B
beauso79
I wonder why Winder didn't play? Cusick was about worthless tonight. Nice to see Calvert finally get some minutes and that Delgado seems to be coming around.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Announcers said Winder is still recovering from ankle sprain. Lateral quickness is still recovering.
S
SpiffCoug
Great win for the Cougars.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Would really like to know what the low down on Winder's ankle is. If I was going to guess, I'd bet that he is still having issues with an OCD (osteochondral defect). Anyone know?
Q
Qman
mizzoucoug wrote:
Great game so far. Weber has some good, athletic ballers. If they were better at shooting 3's and FT's they'd be ahead in this one.



Davies is playing his best game of the year by far and Carlino is officially no longer a turnover machine and is making the right play most of the time.



Austin is playing well on the boards as well and is manning up by going back up strong finally.



I like Calvert's speed and confidence--it is refreshing to see a PG regularly take it to the hole. Delgado also has some good hands and speed. With these two available I'm not sure why Cusick gets any minutes. I see much more potential and game-changing ability with these guys. Cusick is Austin Ainge w/o a reliable shot.



Anyway, the zone looks better but has had a couple bad lapses. If we can shore up the zone and play it like we did Jimmer's last year then there is actually a chance (low as it may be) that we become a tourney team. Our offense isn't good enough to outscore most teams so Rose needs to get our best athletes out there on the defensive end.




We executed the game plan- get Davies and Haws the ball in position to score.

Defensively we kept Bamforth and most of their shooters from getting clean looks.



IMO Cusick plays because he makes the correct simple decisions almost every time both offensively and defensively. Less defensive mistakes means less chances for Davies to foul.



I think Rose has decided Cusick is a SG. Cusick is battling Delgado and Winder for minutes. I don't expect to see him play very many minutes at PG.



Delgado finally looked like I expected from the beginning of the year.



Sharp was too little to matchup with Weber St. so Austin got his minutes and looked good. Carlino had another positive game. Calvert has an old school game-a push shot, etc.
C
Cougs_Rule
Once Calvert and Delgado know where they are supposed to be, Cusick will see far less time. He is not. Quick enough laterally nor strong or big Enough physically to play defense against D1 guards. I like the kid, but his PT will dwindle. And if Carlino keeps playing smart and stops chucking indiscriminate 3s (except when he's hot ;-) ), then he will see minutes, but start sharing them with these two newcomers.
I
IowaCougar
It was like night and day watching the team that played Weber State vs. the team that showed up at Iowa State. Who were those guys? I hope we don't see the Iowa State game version of the team again this season. I think Saturday was by far the best game they've played this year.
G
Gunk
IowaCougar wrote:
It was like night and day watching the team that played Weber State vs. the team that showed up at Iowa State. Who were those guys? I hope we don't see the Iowa State game version of the team again this season. I think Saturday was by far the best game they've played this year.


Agree. Starting lineup was different. Against Iowa, Cusick ran point and Zylstra was at the two. Against Weber Zylstra sat and Cusick moved to the 2 and Carlino started; a more effective lineup. When Winder heals, Winder should take Cusick's spot.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.