Archived Topic

Ziggy Projected 1st Round - Giants

by Ddawg · 12/12/2012

Advertisement
G
Guest
I saw that Brandon Ogletree tweeted the other day that Ziggy asked him what the AFC and NFC were because he didn't know.



The guy is still learning so much about football, it's amazing what Bronco has been able to do with him.
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
I saw that Brandon Ogletree tweeted the other day that Ziggy asked him what the AFC and NFC were because he didn't know.



The guy is still learning so much about football, it's amazing what Bronco has been able to do with him.


That is an amazing insight. Ziggy is so talented - so rare for BYU football. Yes, big time kudos to Bronco - all the Coug teammates that have put their arms around Ziggy, and Ziggy for his effort.



I wish I had a magic wand. Both Ziggy and KVN would be back next year.
C
CougarClaw
i would love for him to go to the Giants. It's a defense-first team that loves talented lineman. He'd be able to learn from the best and it also means one less NFL team that I have to follow.
S
Schmoe
I don't know that Coughlin has the patience to let someone this raw really develop. I guess we'll find out.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Schmoe wrote:
I don't know that Coughlin has the patience to let someone this raw really develop. I guess we'll find out.


Ever heard of Jason Pierre-Paul? Osi Umenyiora? Two guys who never played football til high school, but both drafted and developed by the Giants.



Let's be honest though--this is some blogger who doesn't cover scouting or drafts and writes for the distinguished bleacher report, so the depth of his analysis is probably limited to "NYG has done it twice before, so I'll just ignore their depth on the D-Line and their pressing needs at both O Tackles and have them spend their first round pick on a project D-Lineman instead."
T
tmoney35
The Giants would be perfect for Ziggy. He would be surrounded by talented pass rushers where could learn and develop without being counted on to start and produce right away
S
snoscythe
tmoney35 wrote:
The Giants would be perfect for Ziggy. He would be surrounded by talented pass rushers where could learn and develop without being counted on to start and produce right away


Which is exactly why I don't see the Giants spending a first round pick on him when they have pressing needs on the Oline.
I
imuakahuku
snoscythe wrote:
I don't know that Coughlin has the patience to let someone this raw really develop. I guess we'll find out.


Ever heard of Jason Pierre-Paul? Osi Umenyiora? Two guys who never played football til high school, but both drafted and developed by the Giants.



Let's be honest though--this is some blogger who doesn't cover scouting or drafts and writes for the distinguished bleacher report, so the depth of his analysis is probably limited to "NYG has done it twice before, so I'll just ignore their depth on the D-Line and their pressing needs at both O Tackles and have them spend their first round pick on a project D-Lineman instead."

Just about everybody is a project when they get to the NFL. Some are just "bigger" projects than others.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
+1. True.
G
Guest
That's my wife's nickname for me, the 'big project'
S
Schmoe
snoscythe wrote:
I don't know that Coughlin has the patience to let someone this raw really develop. I guess we'll find out.


Ever heard of Jason Pierre-Paul? Osi Umenyiora? Two guys who never played football til high school, but both drafted and developed by the Giants.


I'd be willing to bet that a lot of NFL guys didn't play until high school. Also, there's a huge difference between that and not having witnessed a game until your second year of college. Anyway, perhaps you're right, I just seem to remember Coughlin for being an old school tough coach who will cut a player for a single mistake.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
I saw that Brandon Ogletree tweeted the other day that Ziggy asked him what the AFC and NFC were because he didn't know.



The guy is still learning so much about football, it's amazing what Bronco has been able to do with him.


Credit where credit is due. Why hasn't Bronco been able to do this with more BYU players? That has been a criticism in past years.



So, credit Bronco for creating a path for Ziggy to learn and grow. But credit genetics and internal drive as much or more. It's not like Bronco is Dr Fankenstein and Ziggy is his creation.
G
Guest
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I saw that Brandon Ogletree tweeted the other day that Ziggy asked him what the AFC and NFC were because he didn't know.



The guy is still learning so much about football, it's amazing what Bronco has been able to do with him.


Credit where credit is due. Why hasn't Bronco been able to do this with more BYU players? That has been a criticism in past years.



So, credit Bronco for creating a path for Ziggy to learn and grow. But credit genetics and internal drive as much or more. It's not like Bronco is Dr Fankenstein and Ziggy is his creation.


You answer your own question. Bronco has always been able to get players to excel and achieve beyond their natural abilities. The problem is he's had few players with true natural abilities.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Good point. Ziggy is an outlier in one significant area: the combo of his Size, speed and strength. Many BYU guys have the heart, but not the genetics for the next level. Although Keisel has certainly made a huge run in the NFL beyond what I think most would have predicted based solely on his performance at BYU--which was awesome. But maybe we are conditioned to doubt a little.
C
cornhole153
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I saw that Brandon Ogletree tweeted the other day that Ziggy asked him what the AFC and NFC were because he didn't know.



The guy is still learning so much about football, it's amazing what Bronco has been able to do with him.


Credit where credit is due. Why hasn't Bronco been able to do this with more BYU players? That has been a criticism in past years.



So, credit Bronco for creating a path for Ziggy to learn and grow. But credit genetics and internal drive as much or more. It's not like Bronco is Dr Fankenstein and Ziggy is his creation.


You answer your own question. Bronco has always been able to get players to excel and achieve beyond their natural abilities. The problem is he's had few players with true natural abilities.


If that were the case you would expect a much better winning % against teams Luke TCU, Utah & Boise etc. since BYU gets better recruits to start with.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarfan87
cornhole153 wrote:
If that were the case you would expect a much better winning % against teams Luke TCU, Utah & Boise etc. since BYU gets better recruits to start with.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Not necessarily. Coaching beyond talent of an individual does not mean that you can coach them to be better than better talent. It just means they surpass their own individual capabilities. And let's face it, those TCU teams had much better talent (an NFL QB, and NFL Defensive Players). I chalk up the losses to them to just being out talented. I chalk up the losses to Utah to BYU being a head case whenever we play Utah--they are not more talented. And I chalk up the losses to Boise State to stupid coaching decisions--(playing injured Riley for so long, not kicking onside kick after going for two, etc.) not the lack of developing players.



It should also be noted that Bronco develops defensive players very well. We have yet to see that in offensive players because he focuses on the defense. The Oline has been sorely underdeveloped the last three or four years, which has also been the main contributing factor in many losses--such as Boise State where the TE completely misses the Block which ends up in a failed 2 PT attempt.
M
Mingjai
Schmoe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
I don't know that Coughlin has the patience to let someone this raw really develop. I guess we'll find out.


Ever heard of Jason Pierre-Paul? Osi Umenyiora? Two guys who never played football til high school, but both drafted and developed by the Giants.


I'd be willing to bet that a lot of NFL guys didn't play until high school. Also, there's a huge difference between that and not having witnessed a game until your second year of college. Anyway, perhaps you're right, I just seem to remember Coughlin for being an old school tough coach who will cut a player for a single mistake.


Coughlin is tough as nails, but I think the people he cuts are those he's assessed as easily replaceable (it may seem unfair, but it's business--I know Kehl had a tough time with him). I think if Coughlin sees enough potential in Ansah, the Giants will invest the time to develop him.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
Bronco has always been able to get players to excel and achieve beyond their natural abilities. The problem is he's had few players with true natural abilities.

Vic So'oto has been in the NFL for years now, after not doing much at BYU.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.