Archived Topic

Bronco Decides Who the QB Will Be

by BoiseBYU · 12/11/2012

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Drew quotes Doman as saying that Bronco will make the QB decision....interesting given our many threads on this
B
BerliNY
Just saw this too, wow. I think the HC/DC should definitely have veto power, but "making the decision" means something different to me, hope I'm wrong.
B
beauso79
I wonder what hawkwing will say about this??



Per Jay Drew:



BYU OC Doman on who will make the QB decision. "Bronco. Absolutely. That's why he gets paid the big bucks, to make the big decisions."



Sure seems like Bronco dictates who's in at QB
G
Guest
And interestingly enough Dick Harmon was recently tweeting that former players said it was Doman, just like the guys that I've talked to who used to play on the team. So if Doman isn't fudging the truth here a little the decision making process has been recently removed from him. Doman also failed to mention how much input he has on the decision, so I believe he is in CYA mode right now.
M
Mars


It is interesting to see Doman subtly pointing the finger of blame at his head coach. Good thing Bronco doesn't read the papers?
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Doman stated on True Blue that Bronco will make the final decision about the starting QB. So far it is Lark.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
beauso79
byucougar1 wrote:
Doman stated on True Blue that Bronco will make the final decision about the starting QB. So far it is Lark.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah because Riley is still hurt - if Riley's healthy enough he starts - guaranteed
C
cornhole153
hawkwing wrote:
And interestingly enough Dick Harmon was recently tweeting that former players said it was Doman, just like the guys that I've talked to who used to play on the team. So if Doman isn't fudging the truth here a little the decision making process has been recently removed from him. Doman also failed to mention how much input he has on the decision, so I believe he is in CYA mode right now.


"Absolutely" sure doesn't sound like this (who makes the big decisions) is a recent change as Bronco always made the big bucks. Good for Doman for coming out with this.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
The head coach makes the final decisions and that's the way it should be. He listens to his position coaches and assistant coaches and thinks over what they've said, but he's ultimately the guy who makes the decision for each and every player that's on the field.
B
byucougar1
It is also quite obvious that when Riley Nelson is 100%, we have a very good chance to win. I believe that Doman will go with Lark if Riley isn't fully healed as evidenced by his throwing motion and flexibility. Supposedly a decision will be made by Thursday.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
"Healthy enough" for Riley, usually means, he's able to move somewhat, and kinda get a football into the air. Doesn't seem to have any bearing on whether or not he's able to move effectively, or throw the ball anywhere near his intended target.
D
Devbo
Just because it is Bronco's final call doesn't mean Doman doesn't decide. Bronco has always seemed big on delegation and trust. It could be as simple as his coordinator says this is what he wants, so Bronco backs it up 100%. Bronco still has last say, but leaves the decision to his coordinator/position coach. If this is the case, Doman's comments don't necessarily contradict Hawkwing's post.



Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but it makes sense to me with how I've seen Bronco act while here as coach. Maybe Bronco is forcing Riley on Doman, but it just doesn't make sense to me. FWIW I have no connections to anyone who has connections to the program.
S
snoscythe
Devbo wrote:
Just because it is Bronco's final call doesn't mean Doman doesn't decide. Bronco has always seemed big on delegation and trust. It could be as simple as his coordinator says this is what he wants, so Bronco backs it up 100%. Bronco still has last say, but leaves the decision to his coordinator/position coach. If this is the case, Doman's comments don't necessarily contradict Hawkwing's post.



Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but it makes sense to me with how I've seen Bronco act while here as coach. Maybe Bronco is forcing Riley on Doman, but it just doesn't make sense to me. FWIW I have no connections to anyone who has connections to the program.


If that were the case that Mendenhall just rubberstamps what Doman chooses, Doman's comments after Hawaii and just this week seem really out of whack.
F
frdbtr
Devbo wrote:
Just because it is Bronco's final call doesn't mean Doman doesn't decide. Bronco has always seemed big on delegation and trust. It could be as simple as his coordinator says this is what he wants, so Bronco backs it up 100%. Bronco still has last say, but leaves the decision to his coordinator/position coach. If this is the case, Doman's comments don't necessarily contradict Hawkwing's post.



Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but it makes sense to me with how I've seen Bronco act while here as coach. Maybe Bronco is forcing Riley on Doman, but it just doesn't make sense to me. FWIW I have no connections to anyone who has connections to the program.


I think that in most cases Bronco gives the decision to his coordinators. In the utah and BSU games though, I really have a hard time believing that Doman would spend the whole week preparing a guy and then scrap his entire game plan at the last second to play someone else. IMO, Bronco over rode him and started Riley in those 2 games.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
If that were the case that Mendenhall just rubberstamps what Doman chooses, Doman's comments after Hawaii and just this week seem really out of whack.

Then this would be completely consistent with the 2012 season has seemed to all of us to be
really out of whack.
C
Cougs_Rule
snoscythe wrote:
Sorry Hawkwing, but Doman himself came out after Hawaii and stated that the final choice of starter is Bronco's:


We will make a decision that is right for this team. It ultimately will be coach Mendenhall's decision, and Riley, Taysom and I will lock arms, and we will go.


http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyusports/55009855-65/doman-nelson-mendenhall-riley.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Not bad Sno. Not bad at all. BUT, this quote sounds awfully circumstantial if not out of context, if not ambiguous. Can you please find a quote where Doman comes right out and says "I wanted Lark, but Bronco won't let me"??? Just playin, Hawk. :D it hardly matters anymore.
M
Mars
Devbo wrote:
Just because it is Bronco's final call doesn't mean Doman doesn't decide. Bronco has always seemed big on delegation and trust. It could be as simple as his coordinator says this is what he wants, so Bronco backs it up 100%.

Right after the NMSU game- Bronco, who starts in the bowl? Bronco: "Riley is our starter."



I don't remember him mentioning that he has to talk to Doman first to get the offensive coach's opinion on the matter.
C
Cougs_Rule
Mars wrote:
Just because it is Bronco's final call doesn't mean Doman doesn't decide. Bronco has always seemed big on delegation and trust. It could be as simple as his coordinator says this is what he wants, so Bronco backs it up 100%.

Right after the NMSU game- Bronco, who starts in the bowl? Bronco: "Riley is our starter."



I don't remember him mentioning that he has to talk to Doman first to get the offensive coach's opinion on the matter.


Yes, I found this conspicuous as well. But now that some time and "perspective" have had their time, the sorry out of practice is very different. Buckin Bronco, at his most stubborn!

But hey, maybe he has learned a few things.
C
Cougs_Rule
Mars wrote:
Just because it is Bronco's final call doesn't mean Doman doesn't decide. Bronco has always seemed big on delegation and trust. It could be as simple as his coordinator says this is what he wants, so Bronco backs it up 100%.

Right after the NMSU game- Bronco, who starts in the bowl? Bronco: "Riley is our starter."



I don't remember him mentioning that he has to talk to Doman first to get the offensive coach's opinion on the matter.


Yes, I found this conspicuous as well. But now that some time and "perspective" have had their time, the story out of practice is very different. Buckin Bronco, at his most stubborn!

But hey, maybe he has learned a few things.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.