Archived Topic

Unfortunately our basketball team isn't very good this year

by hawkwing · 12/10/2012

Advertisement
G
Guest
I was one of the few, along with Mars and Craigoscarson, to say before the season started that I didn't think this BYU team would go dancing. Now I'm beginning to think that the team isn't even as good as I thought.



The season is still early, and improvements could come, but I'm concerned with our chances of even finishing in the top 3 in the WCC this year.
Q
Qman
The team has not played well enough to date to be sure about finishing 3rd or making the NCAA's.



The margin for error with this team is fairly low without Rogers and Collinsworth.



On the bright side we still have 3 legit scoring options in Davies, Haws and Carlino (when he is hitting his shots).



Harward has impressed me a little with size and toughness he brings. Austin and Davies are pretty soft.



We really need Winder to get healthy and be ready to play. I am really surprised Delgado has figured out how to played D1 ball yet.



Overall I am sure we are better than the bad teams in WCC. We'll be in a battle with the average teams. We really could use Calvert or someone improving enough to take some minutes from Zylstra and Cusick.
K
KYCoug
I would agree except the WCC is looking pretty weak with the exception of Gonzaga there just are no quality wins in the conference. I have to say nothing frustrates me more that seeing our team run up the floor and launch and miss 3 after 3, especially when we should have a good inside game. As long as Haws gets eaten up by big aggressive guards or double teams and Davies seems to struggle with anyone taller than him, which is most bigs, we will squeek by every win we get. I'm an optimist though, I think Rose will be the difference in the end and we will come in second behind Gonzaga.



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
C
Cougs_Rule
You are correct Hawk. I wish Brandon was more mentally tough and focused, but he just doesn't seem to have the edge for a whole game or a whole season. Throw a physical guard at Haws and he will have to take it to the hole and get foul shots (which is what he did vs Utah in the second half), but this will wear him down with the physicality. With Carlino streaky (not sure he deserves that label, but he hasn't earned anything else) and Davies not having a banner Sr year that I hoped, yes, this team will have to out hustle and out board and scrape out wins.

I give them a 50/50 chance of getting in the dance. And that's optimistic hoping that Rose will find a way and that Kaufusi will bring some kind of physical anchoring to this under-sized team and Winder recovers and steps up.
E
EM_Puma
KYCoug wrote:
I have to say nothing frustrates me more that seeing our team run up the floor and launch and miss 3 after 3, especially when we should have a good inside game.


How can Rose sit there and even watch it happen? That should be our game plan and yet the team demonstrates that the opposition can take us out of our game at their beckon call. Saturday's game was so frustrating as Puktah seemed to be able to drive on us, but luckily those shots didn't drop in the 2nd half.



I'm surprised that the attendance was announced at only 16K. G. Wrubell also responded in the telecast that it looked fuller than that. It for sure didn't look like there were any 6K seats sitting empty. The season ticket holders were the most missing spots and honestly I don't believe the students were in the numbers we usually see for a BYU/Puktah game.
Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
EM_Puma wrote:
I have to say nothing frustrates me more that seeing our team run up the floor and launch and miss 3 after 3, especially when we should have a good inside game.


How can Rose sit there and even watch it happen? That should be our game plan and yet the team demonstrates that the opposition can take us out of our game at their beckon call. Saturday's game was so frustrating as Puktah seemed to be able to drive on us, but luckily those shots didn't drop in the 2nd half.



I'm surprised that the attendance was announced at only 16K. G. Wrubell also responded in the telecast that it looked fuller than that. It for sure didn't look like there were any 6K seats sitting empty. The season ticket holders were the most missing spots and honestly I don't believe the students were in the numbers we usually see for a BYU/Puktah game.


Having attended the ISU game, and seeing the worst performance I ever remember from a BYU basketball team, I wasn't nearly as up for this game as I normally would have been. Nevertheless I did watch, and I did see the team perform as badly as they did against ISU. Fortunately, Utah is a much worse team than ISU. Also, BYU did make good adjustments and fought back very well in the second half. I was glad to see the win, and I hope it helps them find their shooting touch.



By the way, what the heck is a "beckon call"? (I think you mean "beck and call") ;)
C
Cougs_Rule
Actually, beck is short for beckon. It changed around the 14 or 15th century, iirc. But the preferred usage is "beck (gesture) and call (verbal)".
M
Mars
KYCoug wrote:
I would agree except the WCC is looking pretty weak with the exception of Gonzaga there just are no quality wins in the conference... I'm an optimist though, I think Rose will be the difference in the end and we will come in second behind Gonzaga.

RPIs:



45- San Fran

61- St. Mary's

71- BYU



http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-colorado-lands-mike-174831152--ncaaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
I would agree except the WCC is looking pretty weak with the exception of Gonzaga there just are no quality wins in the conference... I'm an optimist though, I think Rose will be the difference in the end and we will come in second behind Gonzaga.

RPIs:



45- San Fran

61- St. Mary's

71- BYU



http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-colorado-lands-mike-174831152--ncaaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I don't think we could consistently beat any team that is top 100. Which is why I feel BYU will probably finish 4th.
G
Gunk
I am still optimistic, though the team is not as good as I hoped.



Davies is slightly better. Haws has been a surprise but still has holes in his game. Austin shows no signs of improvment while he needed some big gains from him during the off season.



Sharp is much improved, but regardless still isn't a threat.



Carlino's ball movement and decision making has improved; his shot hasn't.



We're one solid scorers away. A legit 4 or consistent shooter at the 2 would do us wonders.



Sadly, I don't see much improvement in next year's team. Will probably be 2 seasons till we're legit conference contenders.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
K
KYCoug
Mars wrote:
I would agree except the WCC is looking pretty weak with the exception of Gonzaga there just are no quality wins in the conference... I'm an optimist though, I think Rose will be the difference in the end and we will come in second behind Gonzaga.

RPIs:



45- San Fran

61- St. Mary's

71- BYU



http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-colorado-lands-mike-174831152--ncaaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars you're more into numbers so maybe you see something I don't. I looked at their schedules. San Fran lost to Stanford and their best win was against a 7-3 St Johns that isn't expected to do anything in the Big Least this year. The rest aren't worth mentioning.

St Mary's lost to Georgia Tech and their best win is against Utah State. I don't see much to brag about with either schedule. Of course we don't have anything in our schedule that would make anyone think we are any better but my 8) I just gotta believe we can at least split with them. If not it will be one bad year for Cougar Sports! :~(
M
Mars
KYCoug wrote:
San Fran lost to Stanford and their best win was against a 7-3 St Johns that isn't expected to do anything in the Big Least this year. The rest aren't worth mentioning.

St Mary's lost to Georgia Tech and their best win is against Utah State. I don't see much to brag about with either schedule.

They aren't that great, but neither are we. As of right now, they both bring better computer numbers to the conference than we do, so we can't complain too much. And Gonzaga still looks phenomenal. They might go undefeated in conference play (though I doubt it- road losses happen to the best of them).
Q
Qman
The team isn't as good as I hoped, but I don't think we are playing to our potential. I think Winder will be able to make a big difference. Harward looks like he can provide some important minutes off the bench.



All Winder has to do is to be better than Cusick or Zylstra.



I wonder if Calvert is going to be improve enough in practice to earn some minutes.
E
EM_Puma
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Actually, beck is short for beckon. It changed around the 14 or 15th century, iirc. But the preferred usage is "beck (gesture) and call (verbal)".


Cool. I've found someone who can edit my book. ;)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.