Archived Topic

Bowl Games - Blah

by Cougarbib · 12/10/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I am not the college football junkie I once was - maybe that is why -



But I see very few bowl games this year that I find interesting enough to watch. I am sure several bowls will have closely matched teams that would make them somewhat interesting to watch - but a middle Big 12 team vs a middle Big 10 or SEC team - not so much.



BYU SDSU tops my list right behind U vs nobody - my favorite

Georgia Tech vs USC - I guess ACC membership has its perks. Does GT have a losing record already?

UW vs BSU -

Cinderella Vs Florida State

ND vs Bama - boring except we played ND and Teo is Teo

USU Vs Toledo or whomever it was

SJSU vs whatever they got

OSU vs whatever they got

Maybe any other Bowl eligible team, if any, we played





I probably won't watch even 1/4 that many since I am homeless right now and would need to beg my daughter to let me watch a game.



I might only watch one. I mean two.



U vs Nobody

BYU vs SDSU



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Yeah, I mostly agree. There's only a few bowl games that I think I will watch:



1. Utah State will crush Toledo in Potato bowl Dec. 15. I'll watch this because it's been a little while since football has been on.

2. We will handle the Aztecs on Dec. 20. Nuff said.

3. I might watch the Armed Forces Bowl on the 29th. It's a 6-6 Air Force against a 6-6 Rice. Kind of a pillow fight, but one of my schools nonetheless. Pretty sure Air Force will rock them.

4. Aside from BYU's bowl, my next favorite will be watching Vandy steamroll NC State on Dec. 31st in the Music City Bowl. Vandy narrowly missed a Gator Bowl invite.

5. The Fiesta Bowl on Jan 3rd has kind of an interesting matchup, Oregon v. KSU. I hope Doman watches this one and takes notes on what these two teams' offenses do. This will just be a fun game.

6. I'll watch the championship on Jan 7. Pretty sure Alabama will handle Notre Dame. I think ND has gotten a little lucky to make it undefeated thus far. Alabama seems to be a better team and I kind of want to see Notre Dame get humiliated for some reason. Still a little sour about them beating us, I suppose.

7. Maybe the BSU v. Washington Las Vegas bowl.



So yeah, there's a few I'm interested in, a few I'll watch just because, but I agree, the bowls this year are kind of blah.

-TVRC
M
Mingjai
The problem is three-fold:



1) Too many bowls means the NCAA must allow 6-6 teams to make bowls--mediocre teams don't generate much buzz outside of their narrow fanbase



2) Too many bowl tie-ins reduces competitive invitation process--competition in the bidding process would mean higher paying bowls would get better teams and intriguing matchups



3) The BCS national championship generates all the buzz, so other bowls (even of the BCS variety) lose their perceived importance and excitement



Once a playoff is instituted the bowl system as we knew it will be dead, and we'll be left with NFL Playoffs Jr.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.