Archived Topic

Lone Peaks #2 in the country?

by craigoscarson · 12/9/2012

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Very impressive. I don't follow much prep ball, so I wonder is there any chance at some tourney that they could take on Jabari's team?
G
Guest
Awesome, and well deserved.
C
Cougs_Rule
The first half of Lone Peak vs Orem was a defensive struggle and cold shooting by Nick Emery. Mika got into foul trouble early, one deserved foul, one sort of lame foul. But LP didn't really look like what I would think a top 10 HS team would look like.

That changed in the 2nd half. Emery found his stroke and LP stepped up its D. Watching Haws, Emery, Toolson, and Shumway, it was like watching BYU High School, if it had one. Of course Mika is some pretty nice window dressing as well.

Mika may or may not be a beast, but he was held in check yesterday by some doubles, Dalton, who is thick enough to not get pushed around, and anther big, last named Taylor (who actually out scored and seemed almost to out play Nixon).

Shumway played very tough D on Dalton and kept him in check as well. Orem coach Holt specifically praised Shumways D.

In the end, too much firepower on The LP team. Too many D1 athletes.
B
BerliNY
mizzoucoug wrote:
Very impressive. I don't follow much prep ball, so I wonder is there any chance at some tourney that they could take on Jabari's team?


I thought they already did, and beat them, although Jabari was injured ... right?
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
BerliNY wrote:
Very impressive. I don't follow much prep ball, so I wonder is there any chance at some tourney that they could take on Jabari's team?


I thought they already did, and beat them, although Jabari was injured ... right?


Correction, they were in the same tournament, but never played.

http://www.chicagoeliteclassic.com/schedule.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://theintentionalfoul.blogspot.com/2012/11/preview-chicago-elite-classic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
SpiffCoug
Mika will benefit from playing against players closer to his size. When you're so much bigger than everybody else it can be tough to play. I liked what I was saw in Mika. But the best player on the court was easily Nick Emery. I was underwhelmed by Nixon and little Haws.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
The first half of Lone Peak vs Orem was a defensive struggle and cold shooting by Nick Emery. Mika got into foul trouble early, one deserved foul, one sort of lame foul. But LP didn't really look like what I would think a top 10 HS team would look like.

That changed in the 2nd half. Emery found his stroke and LP stepped up its D. Watching Haws, Emery, Toolson, and Shumway, it was like watching BYU High School, if it had one. Of course Mika is some pretty nice window dressing as well.

Mika may or may not be a beast, but he was held in check yesterday by some doubles, Dalton, who is thick enough to not get pushed around, and anther big, last named Taylor (who actually out scored and seemed almost to out play Nixon).

Shumway played very tough D on Dalton and kept him in check as well. Orem coach Holt specifically praised Shumways D.

In the end, too much firepower on The LP team. Too many D1 athletes.


Not sure if you are aware, but there once was a BYU High School and it was named BYU High School. It was on University Avenue in Provo at about 5th North. I believe the renovated old building is still there. It was very small and a private school. It apparently fell to budget cuts or other concerns, and closed and was folded into Provo High School - for all practical purposes, which was the only near-by alternative, in about Fall of 1967 when I was still attending Provo High School.



That ended the BY High - Provo High rivalry and boosted Provo High athletics even higher at the time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
SpiffCoug wrote:
Mika will benefit from playing against players closer to his size. When you're so much bigger than everybody else it can be tough to play. I liked what I was saw in Mika. But the best player on the court was easily Nick Emery. I was underwhelmed by Nixon and little Haws.


It's funny because i've seen bloggers that have said that Emery might be the 3rd best... I think it just depends on the matchups, the day of the week, the barometric pressure and who ate the most wheaties...... :gross:



Nixon and Haws are both young even for their high school classes. Nixon just barely turned 16 and now is a legit 6'8" who got hounded by elite athletes vs Lone Peak. (Shumway is an elite athlete (top 50 athlete in the country imho) and so is Mika). Nixon could be 6'10" by the time he's a Cougar. That's elite for a 4 that can hit the outside shot and is already stronger than Austin and Harward, and of course he has the blood lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtRDWWihn0



I promise you in a year from now if you go to the same tournament that they will be polished, stronger, and more athletic just like seniors that are D1 caliber should be.
C
Cougs_Rule
Orem did let Nixon to the outside during the second half, but was kept underneath in the first, I suspect for rebounding purposes. And when Mika was out, there was an even taller kid who played backup. He must have been 6'10 or '11.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
craigoscarson wrote:
Mika will benefit from playing against players closer to his size. When you're so much bigger than everybody else it can be tough to play. I liked what I was saw in Mika. But the best player on the court was easily Nick Emery. I was underwhelmed by Nixon and little Haws.


It's funny because i've seen bloggers that have said that Emery might be the 3rd best... I think it just depends on the matchups, the day of the week, the barometric pressure and who ate the most wheaties...... :gross:



Nixon and Haws are both young even for their high school classes. Nixon just barely turned 16 and now is a legit 6'8" who got hounded by elite athletes vs Lone Peak. (Shumway is an elite athlete (top 50 athlete in the country imho) and so is Mika). Nixon could be 6'10" by the time he's a Cougar. That's elite for a 4 that can hit the outside shot and is already stronger than Austin and Harward, and of course he has the blood lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtRDWWihn0





I promise you in a year from now if you go to the same tournament that they will be polished, stronger, and more athletic just like seniors that are D1 caliber should be.


If his dad can just pass that on to his kid he'll do great. It'll be exciting. That was a Kreshimer Cosic (sp) type shot.
S
SpiffCoug
I think Nixon, like Mika, will benefit from playing at the next level. Specifically in playing alongside players of better talent.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.