Archived Topic

Who Should Have Relieved Riley Nelson in 2012 Post Injury

by Cougarbib · 12/7/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
There seems to be a new round of second guessing as to why Lark was passed over in favor of Hill. Let's spare this poll and thread the debate of exactly when Nelson should have been relieved - game 1, WSU, U, BSU - but focus on who should have relieved Riley Nelson sometime after the Weber State game where Nelson was relieved by Lark after the game was well in hand and where Hill also played iirc. So after that - Who?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
**
C
Cougs_Rule
So easy, a caveman could have even made this decision.
A
ABYUFAN
The biggest failure wasn't "who", it was "when"... In my mind, Hill was the right choice because he gave us a great chance to win now (maybe not the best, but still a great one) and we need his experience going into next year. But like most posters, Nelson shouldn't have started Utah, and shouldn't have started BSU, and Shouldn't have come out onto the field after the half at BSU....
C
Cougarfan87
It should have been Lark, with Hill coming in for a couple series a game to get ready for next year. Sort of like the year Chris Leak ran the offense for Florida, but Tebow would come in during a couple of series and situationally. That is the only kind of two QB system that works. You're getting the up and comer ready without undermining the equally talented upperclassmen.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarfan87 wrote:
It should have been Lark, with Hill coming in for a couple series a game to get ready for next year. Sort of like the year Chris Leak ran the offense for Florida, but Tebow would come in during a couple of series and situationally. That is the only kind of two QB system that works. You're getting the up and comer ready without undermining the equally talented upperclassmen.


This!
G
Guest
Cougarfan87 wrote:
It should have been Lark, with Hill coming in for a couple series a game to get ready for next year. Sort of like the year Chris Leak ran the offense for Florida, but Tebow would come in during a couple of series and situationally. That is the only kind of two QB system that works. You're getting the up and comer ready without undermining the equally talented upperclassmen.


Even better would have been to redshirt Hill and allow him to sit up in the booth and get an idea of the speed and nuances of the game.
C
Cougarfan87
hawkwing wrote:
It should have been Lark, with Hill coming in for a couple series a game to get ready for next year. Sort of like the year Chris Leak ran the offense for Florida, but Tebow would come in during a couple of series and situationally. That is the only kind of two QB system that works. You're getting the up and comer ready without undermining the equally talented upperclassmen.


Even better would have been to redshirt Hill and allow him to sit up in the booth and get an idea of the speed and nuances of the game.


I would not have been opposed to that approach either except didn't he already use a red shirt. If not, I say red shirt him, but I thought he had used one already.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
It should have been Lark, with Hill coming in for a couple series a game to get ready for next year. Sort of like the year Chris Leak ran the offense for Florida, but Tebow would come in during a couple of series and situationally. That is the only kind of two QB system that works. You're getting the up and comer ready without undermining the equally talented upperclassmen.


Even better would have been to redshirt Hill and allow him to sit up in the booth and get an idea of the speed and nuances of the game.

It was too late to redshirt Hill - he had already played and had his 5000 PER outing at that point. But that would make another good poll. Should Hill have been red-shirted?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
It should have been Lark, with Hill coming in for a couple series a game to get ready for next year. Sort of like the year Chris Leak ran the offense for Florida, but Tebow would come in during a couple of series and situationally. That is the only kind of two QB system that works. You're getting the up and comer ready without undermining the equally talented upperclassmen.


Even better would have been to redshirt Hill and allow him to sit up in the booth and get an idea of the speed and nuances of the game.


I would not have been opposed to that approach either except didn't he already use a red shirt. If not, I say red shirt him, but I thought he had used one already.


He went straight on a mission out of high school. Never used a redshirt.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
It should have been Lark, with Hill coming in for a couple series a game to get ready for next year. Sort of like the year Chris Leak ran the offense for Florida, but Tebow would come in during a couple of series and situationally. That is the only kind of two QB system that works. You're getting the up and comer ready without undermining the equally talented upperclassmen.


Even better would have been to redshirt Hill and allow him to sit up in the booth and get an idea of the speed and nuances of the game.


I would not have been opposed to that approach either except didn't he already use a red shirt. If not, I say red shirt him, but I thought he had used one already.


I thought he went on a mission right out of high school and never actually enrolled at Stanford. I also think I recall Bronco saying neither Hill or Olsen would be red-shirted this year - implying he could have been. Then Olsen red-shirted anyway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarfan87
Cougarbib wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
It should have been Lark, with Hill coming in for a couple series a game to get ready for next year. Sort of like the year Chris Leak ran the offense for Florida, but Tebow would come in during a couple of series and situationally. That is the only kind of two QB system that works. You're getting the up and comer ready without undermining the equally talented upperclassmen.


Even better would have been to redshirt Hill and allow him to sit up in the booth and get an idea of the speed and nuances of the game.


I would not have been opposed to that approach either except didn't he already use a red shirt. If not, I say red shirt him, but I thought he had used one already.


I thought he went on a mission right out of high school and never actually enrolled at Stanford. I also think I recall Bronco saying neither Hill or Olsen would be red-shirted this year - implying he could have been. Then Olsen red-shirted anyway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


That's right, my mistake. In that case, Lark all the way, Munns as back up. I am not a huge fan of putting freshman on the field unless they have already burned a red shirt and you are preparing them for the future.



Johnny Manzell being the rare exception.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Any chance we have of getting him to transfer from TexA&M? (Insert comment about here saying, "I heard he was taking the discussions.")
M
Mingjai
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
It should have been Lark, with Hill coming in for a couple series a game to get ready for next year. Sort of like the year Chris Leak ran the offense for Florida, but Tebow would come in during a couple of series and situationally. That is the only kind of two QB system that works. You're getting the up and comer ready without undermining the equally talented upperclassmen.


Even better would have been to redshirt Hill and allow him to sit up in the booth and get an idea of the speed and nuances of the game.


I would not have been opposed to that approach either except didn't he already use a red shirt. If not, I say red shirt him, but I thought he had used one already.


I thought he went on a mission right out of high school and never actually enrolled at Stanford. I also think I recall Bronco saying neither Hill or Olsen would be red-shirted this year - implying he could have been. Then Olsen red-shirted anyway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


That's right, my mistake. In that case, Lark all the way, Munns as back up. I am not a huge fan of putting freshman on the field unless they have already burned a red shirt and you are preparing them for the future.



Johnny Manzell being the rare exception.


Except Manziel's not an exception because he redshirted.



But as you said, Lark then Munns with Hill redshirting.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.