Archived Topic

USU Game Cancelled?

by EM_Puma · 12/5/2012

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/byu-game-vs-utah-state-reportedly-canceled-after-aggie-player/article_5102df32-3e8c-11e2-9d4b-0019bb2963f4.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Nothing is official as of yet this morning, but it is sounding like the game will be cancelled. I'm a little surprised with that action. If the player had died, then maybe that would rise to the point of being something that cancelled a game, but I'm not seeing, even if it were a Cougar that went into cardiac arrest that you cancel a game. Not for one player. Life goes on. The game is never more important that the players, but without a death, then I don't see how it would be an event that would cause a game to be cancelled. Someone can call me insensitive all they want, but when you lose players to season ending or career ending injuries, you don't stop, so why now?



President John F. Kennedy was assasinated on a Friday evening and the NFL played their games the following Sunday. If that didn't merit a stoppage, then this shouldn't either.
4
49erCoug
EM_Puma wrote:
http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/byu-game-vs-utah-state-reportedly-canceled-after-aggie-player/article_5102df32-3e8c-11e2-9d4b-0019bb2963f4.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed



Nothing is official as of yet this morning, but it is sounding like the game will be cancelled. I'm a little surprised with that action. If the player had died, then maybe that would rise to the point of being something that cancelled a game, but I'm not seeing, even if it were a Cougar that went into cardiac arrest that you cancel a game. Not for one player. Life goes on. The game is never more important that the players, but without a death, then I don't see how it would be an event that would cause a game to be cancelled. Someone can call me insensitive all they want, but when you lose players to season ending or career ending injuries, you don't stop, so why now?



President John F. Kennedy was assasinated on a Friday evening and the NFL played their games the following Sunday. If that didn't merit a stoppage, then this shouldn't either.


I have tickets to the game tonight... 6th row.. I WANT TO GO.. Granted I want the USU player to be OK as well... My wife and I talked about it last night... She didn't see a need to cancel the game if he doesn't pass away... so... GAME ON!!!
S
SpiffCoug
Someone tweeted both teams have next Wednesday free. Maybe postponed to then? I think it's finals week at BYU (maybe USU too), but an in-state game might be doable still.
G
Guest
Canceling or postponing the game seems a little silly. I don't want to appear insensitive to the serious medical issue of the player and my thoughts and prayers are with him, but that shouldn't cause games to be missed and if it does, it should be forfeits by USU.
A
ABYUFAN
I'll admit to being insensitive too. The guy was injured while at practice. We don't cancel games when guys are injured while at practice
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I will hold out some hope that there is more to the story before I berate byu officials. As berating usu, that's pretty easy, but I will wait a day for the dust to settle.



Hawk, who is the rep from CC tweeting what sounds a little sophomoric and over-reactive and not as measured as say your post on this thread?
G
Guest
That's me.
B
BerliNY
What would the KC Chiefs say about cancelling this game?
A
ABYUFAN
BerliNY wrote:
What would the KC Chiefs say about cancelling this game?

Did the USU player shoot his girlfirend then himself? I thought that he just had a medical situation occour while at practice
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
That's me.


Oh sorry. It sounded more like........well,.....dmcougar or Jacksonman. ;)
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
ABYUFAN wrote:
What would the KC Chiefs say about cancelling this game?

Did the USU player shoot his girlfirend then himself? I thought that he just had a medical situation occour while at practice


Looks like he is in critical care unit. And maybe his prognosis is also not good. Which could put him near unto death. I would say that qualifies for postponement.
B
BerliNY
ABYUFAN wrote:
What would the KC Chiefs say about cancelling this game?

Did the USU player shoot his girlfirend then himself? I thought that he just had a medical situation occour while at practice


srsly. I don't want to be a jerk about this, the kid did have a scary situation. But nobody died. Even if the kid's career is over, it wouldn't be the first time somebody's career ended in practice the day before a game. I can't figure out why they game can't be played.
M
MTM
I think some of you are underestimating the emotional trauma something like this can have on people who witness it.



This happened less than 24 hours ago, correct? And the kid is still listed as critical, yes?



I can almost guarantee you there isn't a single player or coach at USU who it thinking about playing basketball today. To expect them to is unreasonable, IMO.
K
KYCoug
I know years ago when I was in the army, I had a soldier playing basketball with his buddies and he walked to the side of the floor and dropped over dead, just like that. We did CPR but that didn't help. I suppose if we had the right equipment and trained personnel on site they might have been able to revive him. I don't know if this is similar but I know what that did emotionally to the soldiers who were there and if this is a similar situation those guys are pretty shook up.
S
Schmoe
Not a cancellation, just a postponement, and all things considered, that's fine by me.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Cougs_Rule wrote:
BerliNY wrote:
What would the KC Chiefs say about cancelling this game?

Did the USU player shoot his girlfirend then himself? I thought that he just had a medical situation occour while at practice


Looks like he is in critical care unit. And maybe his prognosis is also not good. Which could put him near unto death. I would say that qualifies for postponement.


Yes, if there was some vigil where the teammates wanted to be at the hospital and it was understood that he would not make it, then it most definitely.



It is clear that rather they played tonight, or a month from now, Danny Berger will not be playing, so I'm still a little foggy on the reasoning, but if it works out for both teams to play the game later, then that's okay.
Y
Yndian
EM_Puma wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
What would the KC Chiefs say about cancelling this game?

Did the USU player shoot his girlfirend then himself? I thought that he just had a medical situation occour while at practice


Looks like he is in critical care unit. And maybe his prognosis is also not good. Which could put him near unto death. I would say that qualifies for postponement.


Yes, if there was some vigil where the teammates wanted to be at the hospital and it was understood that he would not make it, then it most definitely.



It is clear that rather they played tonight, or a month from now, Danny Berger will not be playing, so I'm still a little foggy on the reasoning, but if it works out for both teams to play the game later, then that's okay.


I'll be more than happy to call you insensitive.



It's not about whether Berger will be able to play, it's about the emotional effect that witnessing the incident had on the team, coaches, staff, etc. along with the fact that they're still not positive he's going to live. *edit* although it seems like things are looking good, as far as his survival goes.



Imagine watching one of your best friends almost die, then just going on with life as normal the next day. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this was significantly more traumatic than seeing a guy blow out his knee, or suffer any typical season-ending injury where no one's LIFE is at stake.



With regards to the Chiefs still deciding to play on Sunday, that was a decision made by team officials, and officials for both teams in this case decided not to play, yet. I don't think there's a blanket standard you can use to determine what to do in situations like this, but give them a week, geez.
E
EM_Puma
I see in the Tweets that Jeff Chatman arrived from out of state to be able to watch this game and Saturdays. How many people would ever expect for a game to be cancelled without some thought about something like a storm coming. Puts him out to miss the game now that he's spent the money to come in specifically for the game.
E
EM_Puma
Yndian wrote:
I'll be more than happy to call you insensitive.


Insensitive? Me? I used to cry when I watched Little House on the Prarie. I can't look at road kill without getting misty-eyed.



Hey, I'd personally show up for the game if I died.



;)
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
These types of "injuries" are the most freaky. From what I understand he was just in the middle of practice, unguarded, doing his thing, and BAM, his heart stops and he collapses. Without a defribbilator close by his life would be over. I know it sounds a little ridiculous, but the guy was just having a normal everyday practice. Having cardiac arrest shouldn't just happen like that. It sounds like he is going to make it though, which is great. Seriously, this guy looked Death in the eye and totally told him "F*** you!" I think it's totally okay to postpone a game when a player's family, teammates, and school are having an issue like this. They're within the state, the game can more easily be rescheduled than other types of sporting events, it's college-not pro, and so go ahead with the postponing.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.