Archived Topic

2013 Defense

by YNot · 12/4/2012

Advertisement
Y
YNot
How are we looking on the defensive side of the ball next year?



I know we likely lose our entire starting front seven if Van Noy bolts (which rumor is he will) and Preston Hadley in the backfield. That's a ton.



Who do we have to fill in and step up?



Kaufusi will be a force on the dline and I've heard Leuta-Douyere is a legit OLB. Who else do we have?
S
scott715
on DL we have Marques Johnson, Eathyn Manumaleuna, Remington Peck and Marques Johnson, Theodore King, Maataua Brown



LB we have Alani Fua, Uani ' Unga, Spencer Hadley with a bunch of freshman/sophmores who have not played yet.



We'll know more at spring ball.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
It does seem like most of the D is getting replaced. It hurts not to have another season with Ansah, KVN, Ogletree, and Kaveinga. Those guys rock. We must reload our D effectively or the schedule in 2013 will eat us alive. Hopefully some of the culture and attitude will carry over to those stepping up. After all the talk about Bronco and coaching and blah blah blah, it's this area that I feel his strengths come out. He can seriously coach a good defense, personnel changes notwithstanding.
A
ABYUFAN
scott715 wrote:
on DL we have Marques Johnson, Eathyn Manumaleuna, Remington Peck and Marques Johnson, Theodore King, Maataua Brown



LB we have Alani Fua, Uani ' Unga, Spencer Hadley with a bunch of freshman/sophmores who have not played yet.



We'll know more at spring ball.

I believe that we also have Marques Johnson...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
4
49erCoug
YNot wrote:
How are we looking on the defensive side of the ball next year?



I know we likely lose our entire starting front seven if Van Noy bolts (which rumor is he will) and Preston Hadley in the backfield. That's a ton.



Who do we have to fill in and step up?



Kaufusi will be a force on the dline and I've heard Leuta-Douyere is a legit OLB. Who else do we have?


Will Travis Tuiloma (sp) be back from his mission? He was a load in the middle when he played..
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
What about Marques Johnson?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Seriously, I believe the reference was to our True Freshman DE - Theodore King, 6-3/252.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
We may not finish top ten in major categories, but we will finish top 20. Those are still pretty stout (no pun intended) guys. Bronco will have them ready. I like what I saw with Unga. And Kaufusi will help ease the pain of losing Ziggy, that is if he doesn't lose too much weight playing hoops.

So, my prediction. Our D will go step down 10-15% in performance and I'm hoping--maybe beyond all hope--that with a new OL coach and a refocused BD sans Broke-back Mountain Part 2, that the new regime of Hill and Olsen mixed with Wlliams and more mature WRs, BYU will see an uptick of at least 20% and overall have a pretty good team, notwithstanding schedule.
J
jonnylingo
Cougs_Rule wrote:
We may not finish top ten in major categories, but we will finish top 20. Those are still pretty stout (no pun intended) guys. Bronco will have them ready. I like what I saw with Unga. And Kaufusi will help ease the pain of losing Ziggy, that is if he doesn't lose too much weight playing hoops.

So, my prediction. Our D will go step down 10-15% in performance and I'm hoping--maybe beyond all hope--that with a new OL coach and a refocused BD sans Broke-back Mountain Part 2, that the new regime of Hill and Olsen mixed with Wlliams and more mature WRs, BYU will see an uptick of at least 20% and overall have a pretty good team, notwithstanding schedule.


I think your opinion is a little rosy. we will be young. we lose hadley (very underrated) and sampson who we saw was needed more than many thought. bills and sorenson stay. johnson stays. they will imrprove. dline is a question mark as to everybody but manu and kaufusi. we will be younger. good news is most stepping in as starters have a year or two under their belt. i think we will be good but not top 20 good.



our offense is going to have to step it up next year.
Q
Qman
I think secondary will be good and our LB's good as well. The D line is filled with question marks for me. The problem is that Van Noy and Ansah have been much better than good.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Aren't we also getting a transfer from Colorado St whose brother is on Utah?
K
KingCoug
The question is, even if we have a slight drop off in our defense, will an improved offense make us a more balanced team? And therefore a better team?
S
SpiffCoug
KingCoug wrote:
The question is, even if we have a slight drop off in our defense, will an improved offense make us a more balanced team? And therefore a better team?

Great question. I think yes.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.