Archived Topic

This guy is absolutely pathetic

by gmj81 · 12/3/2012

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
This article is so blatant and insulting to Mormons, whites, blacks, polynesians, moms, dads, etc. that this does nothing but help make the argument FOR BYU.



Let the idiot write; the Parker family is smarter than that.
S
snoscythe
I actually didn't mind any of it until the last paragraph, where he went a bit haywire. I think they are all valid points that (i) BYU coaches need to address, and (ii) minority recruits would do well to consider, especially given the rough road BYU has had with non-LDS minorities and LDS minorities alike.
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
I actually didn't mind any of it until the last paragraph, where he went a bit haywire. I think they are all valid points that (i) BYU coaches need to address, and (ii) minority recruits would do well to consider, especially given the rough road BYU has had with non-LDS minorities and LDS minorities alike.


So you agree that every white, male, Mormon father is a racist.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
I actually didn't mind any of it until the last paragraph, where he went a bit haywire. I think they are all valid points that (i) BYU coaches need to address, and (ii) minority recruits would do well to consider, especially given the rough road BYU has had with non-LDS minorities and LDS minorities alike.


So you agree that every white, male, Mormon father is a racist.


Ah, yes, extending hyperbole with more hyperbole--the author didn't say that. The author merely noted that "typically" fathers of white LDS co-eds don't like the idea of their daughters dating black guys, even if LDS. From the experiences of my black friends who have tried Utah Valley and then left, this is an accurate assessment of their dating experiences with white LDS co-eds.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
I actually didn't mind any of it until the last paragraph, where he went a bit haywire. I think they are all valid points that (i) BYU coaches need to address, and (ii) minority recruits would do well to consider, especially given the rough road BYU has had with non-LDS minorities and LDS minorities alike.


So you agree that every white, male, Mormon father is a racist.


Ah, yes, extending hyperbole with more hyperbole--the author didn't say that. The author merely noted that "typically" fathers of white LDS co-eds don't like the idea of their daughters dating black guys, even if LDS. From the experiences of my black friends who have tried Utah Valley and then left, this is an accurate assessment of their dating experiences with white LDS co-eds.


+1, didn't read the article, not going to. I have a Black LDS friend I met in a singles ward before I got married. At one point he had decided he was never going to get married due to the friction he got when he tried to date LDS girls here in Utah. He ended up marrying an LDS hispanic girl.
S
Schmoe
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
I actually didn't mind any of it until the last paragraph, where he went a bit haywire. I think they are all valid points that (i) BYU coaches need to address, and (ii) minority recruits would do well to consider, especially given the rough road BYU has had with non-LDS minorities and LDS minorities alike.


So you agree that every white, male, Mormon father is a racist.


Ah, yes, extending hyperbole with more hyperbole--the author didn't say that. The author merely noted that "typically" fathers of white LDS co-eds don't like the idea of their daughters dating black guys, even if LDS. From the experiences of my black friends who have tried Utah Valley and then left, this is an accurate assessment of their dating experiences with white LDS co-eds.


And this was specifically because all of their fathers were uncomfortable with it and they all gave that as an honest explanation as to why they wouldn't date these black friends of yours? Sounds a little far-fetched. Could it be possible that some of these girls, like the majority of human beings, are more attracted to people who look similar to them? Just an idea that some factors may be based in science and genetics as opposed to socially-conditioned racism.



BTW, loved Mark Durrant's tweet:

DurrantMark "Gee, I hope that devout, successful, kind, family oriented, superstar Jabari Parker doesn't date my daughter." - No White Mormon Daddy Ever
B
BoiseBYU
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
I actually didn't mind any of it until the last paragraph, where he went a bit haywire. I think they are all valid points that (i) BYU coaches need to address, and (ii) minority recruits would do well to consider, especially given the rough road BYU has had with non-LDS minorities and LDS minorities alike.


So you agree that every white, male, Mormon father is a racist.


Ah, yes, extending hyperbole with more hyperbole--the author didn't say that. The author merely noted that "typically" fathers of white LDS co-eds don't like the idea of their daughters dating black guys, even if LDS. From the experiences of my black friends who have tried Utah Valley and then left, this is an accurate assessment of their dating experiences with white LDS co-eds.


My experience is very different. Many LDS fathers I know would love their daughters to date a faithful LDS black man over a non-faithful white guy, even if LDS. Think about it--what type of father would want his daughter to date a non-faithful LDS white guy over a faithful black or hispanic or polynesian LDS guy? The only type I can come up with are fathers who are racist and think one's race trumps one's righteousness.
S
SpiffCoug
gmj81 wrote:
Another 'journalistic masterpiece' from Darron Smith...



http://www.yourblackbloggers.net/2012/12/black-sports/darron-smith-will-basketball-phenom-will-jabaris-mormon-ness-win-out-over-his-blackness-at-brigham-young-university/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



What is this guy's deal? He's just as racist as this fictitious church/school he keeps writing about.

As to what this guy's deal is, he's very bitter towards the Church. He used to teach at BYU. He left after some "disagreements."



He feels the Honor Code is racist and the HC Office targets minorities to find infractions so they can be used as examples and kicked out of school.



He really despises BYU and all that it stands for - or attempts to stand for. He was very critical of BYU dismissing Brandon Davies.



He sees life through the lens of racism. He sees it everywhere, so assumes everyone uses the same lens he does.
T
tmoney35
SpiffCoug wrote:
He sees life through the lens of racism. He sees it everywhere, so assumes everyone uses the same lens he does.


That must be an exhausting way to live your life, harboring bitterness and assuming everybody is racist.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Alma 36:18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
M
Mars


My response:



1- BYU does not play "mostly" Div. II schools, anymore than Duke or Michigan State does. Ignorant comment there Mr. Smith.



2- Mike Hall is a black coach with the BYU men's basketball team. Ignorant comment #2. http://byucougars.com/staff/m-basketball/mike-hall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; And those are just your botched "facts", aside from your botched racist commentary (IE every father in Provo).
S
SpiffCoug
tmoney35 wrote:
He sees life through the lens of racism. He sees it everywhere, so assumes everyone uses the same lens he does.


That must be an exhausting way to live your life, harboring bitterness and assuming everybody is racist.

It really must be.



I know at one point Darron Smith was a member of the Church. I don't know if he still is.
S
snoscythe
BoiseBYU wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I actually didn't mind any of it until the last paragraph, where he went a bit haywire. I think they are all valid points that (i) BYU coaches need to address, and (ii) minority recruits would do well to consider, especially given the rough road BYU has had with non-LDS minorities and LDS minorities alike.


So you agree that every white, male, Mormon father is a racist.


Ah, yes, extending hyperbole with more hyperbole--the author didn't say that. The author merely noted that "typically" fathers of white LDS co-eds don't like the idea of their daughters dating black guys, even if LDS. From the experiences of my black friends who have tried Utah Valley and then left, this is an accurate assessment of their dating experiences with white LDS co-eds.


My experience is very different. Many LDS fathers I know would love their daughters to date a faithful LDS black man over a non-faithful white guy, even if LDS. Think about it--what type of father would want his daughter to date a non-faithful LDS white guy over a faithful black or hispanic or polynesian LDS guy? The only type I can come up with are fathers who are racist and think one's race trumps one's righteousness.


Yes, because the choice is only between faithful black LDS and unfaithful white LDS. Thanks for the false dichotomy. What generally happens is white girl dates black guy, but then as it gets serious (if the girl gets past the "sameness" factor offered above and it begins to escalate), mom and dad start asking her if she's thought about how hard it will be to raise a bi-racial child. If she's thought about how hard it will be for their children who won't be all-white or all-black. I don't know that it's bigotry by the parents, but rather ignorance and over-protectiveness in "making sure you've thought this through" and scaring them away. It does happen, and it's maddening and depressing for the young men who are faced with it.
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:


My response:



1- BYU does not play "mostly" Div. II schools, anymore than Duke or Michigan State does. Ignorant comment there Mr. Smith.


Congrats on missing the hyperbole. I assume you would argue BYU's OOC and WCC and Duke's/MSU's OOC and Big10/ACC schedules are equally rigorous, right?


2- Mike Hall is a black coach with the BYU men's basketball team. Ignorant comment #2. http://byucougars.com/staff/m-basketball/mike-hall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; And those are just your botched "facts", aside from your botched racist commentary (IE every father in Provo).


Mike Hall is not a coach at BYU. If he were, BYU would be in violation of NCAA restrictions limiting basketball programs to four paid coaches. You'll note that the bios for Rose, LaComb, Nashif, and Pope all label them as "coaches" while Hall's does not. Hall would seem to fit the bill as the author's "1 black staff member" as he is listed under "staff" and not as a coach. Semantics? Likely. Is his article accurate? Yes.



Again, I'm not saying BYU is racist or that Jabari should run away from Provo. Rather, I think he makes good points that minority recruits should consider and that BYU should try to address to both make BYU more attractive and to reduce the number of minority athletes who metriculate out of Provo before their time is up.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
I actually didn't mind any of it until the last paragraph, where he went a bit haywire. I think they are all valid points that (i) BYU coaches need to address, and (ii) minority recruits would do well to consider, especially given the rough road BYU has had with non-LDS minorities and LDS minorities alike.


So you agree that every white, male, Mormon father is a racist.


Ah, yes, extending hyperbole with more hyperbole--the author didn't say that. The author merely noted that "typically" fathers of white LDS co-eds don't like the idea of their daughters dating black guys, even if LDS. From the experiences of my black friends who have tried Utah Valley and then left, this is an accurate assessment of their dating experiences with white LDS co-eds.


My experience is very different. Many LDS fathers I know would love their daughters to date a faithful LDS black man over a non-faithful white guy, even if LDS. Think about it--what type of father would want his daughter to date a non-faithful LDS white guy over a faithful black or hispanic or polynesian LDS guy? The only type I can come up with are fathers who are racist and think one's race trumps one's righteousness.


Yes, because the choice is only between faithful black LDS and unfaithful white LDS. Thanks for the false dichotomy. What generally happens is white girl dates black guy, but then as it gets serious (if the girl gets past the "sameness" factor offered above and it begins to escalate), mom and dad start asking her if she's thought about how hard it will be to raise a bi-racial child. If she's thought about how hard it will be for their children who won't be all-white or all-black. I don't know that it's bigotry by the parents, but rather ignorance and over-protectiveness in "making sure you've thought this through" and scaring them away. It does happen, and it's maddening and depressing for the young men who are faced with it.


I misunderstood what you were trying to say and not trying to foist false dichotomies....My bad. I do not have experience with minority members frustrated as a result of parents thinking a bi-racial kid is going to have a hard time of it etc. so I can't comment there. I would find that very maddening and disheartening too. Sorry for deflecting.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
I don't know that it's bigotry by the parents, but rather ignorance and over-protectiveness in "making sure you've thought this through" and scaring them away.

Divorce and abuse rates are much higher for interracial marriages. Since you are pointing out technicalities today.
A
ABYUFAN
Mars wrote:
I don't know that it's bigotry by the parents, but rather ignorance and over-protectiveness in "making sure you've thought this through" and scaring them away.

Divorce and abuse rates are much higher for interracial marriages. Since you are pointing out technicalities today.

That's because people who compile divorce rate and domestic abuse rates, like those who write standardized tests,are racists



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.