Archived Topic

JABARI WILL PLAY NEXT YEAR!

by stgeorgefan · 12/1/2012

Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765616779/Jabari-Parker-says-he-plans-to-go-to-college-in-2013-2-not-an-LDS-mission.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Whats your thoughts on skipping the mission.

How this effects BYU's chances?



If I was in Jabari's shoes I would not go. The chances of injury, getting out of shape etc. all hurt your chances of going high in the NBA draft. You work your whole life to get into the NBA, it would be VERY hard to not strike while the iron is hot..( after 1st year in college)



I think this hurts BYU's chance of landing him. The pressure/perception at BYU on skipping a mission is different than anywhere else..



Either way it seems he is a bright kid and can play the "Manti Teo" role no matter where he plays..
C
Cougest
He said after his visits that he is more confused than ever, that he wanted to hear the sincerity from coaches, and that the video and T-shirts at BYU were over-whelming. I'm reading into that as he didn't enjoy his BYU experience. Just my opinion but I don't think he comes here. My bet is on Duke.
B
BYULV
stgeorgefan wrote:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765616779/Jabari-Parker-says-he-plans-to-go-to-college-in-2013-2-not-an-LDS-mission.html



Whats your thoughts on skipping the mission.

How this effects BYU's chances?



If I was in Jabari's shoes I would not go. The chances of injury, getting out of shape etc. all hurt your chances of going high in the NBA draft. You work your whole life to get into the NBA, it would be VERY hard to not strike while the iron is hot..( after 1st year in college)



I think this hurts BYU's chance of landing him. The pressure/perception at BYU on skipping a mission is different than anywhere else..



Either way it seems he is a bright kid and can play the "Manti Teo" role no matter where he plays..


Jimmer never went on a mission, didn't seem to have negative perception toward him. Jabari didn't say he wasn't going on a mission, just that he wasn't going next year. He left the door open to go the following year, although less likely that he would go.



I disagree with striking while the iron is hot and skipping a mission. Career and a future will be there after a mission, but you really only have one chance to go on your mission. The spiritual growth and lives he would touch as a missionary are things he will not be able to make up for with a successful BBall career. He could miss out on an NBA career (he should still be succesful after a mission), but some things are more important than careers.
G
Guest
I would advise him to go on a mission. The NBA is far less important. But if he chooses not to I don't think anyone will care. Lots of athletes at BYU have chosen not to go.
C
Cougest
hawkwing wrote:
I would advise him to go on a mission. The NBA is far less important. But if he chooses not to I don't think anyone will care. Lots of athletes at BYU have chosen not to go.




Agreed. However, If he went straight on a mission and came back for the 2015-16 year, that would be a sick team with emery, chatman, hartsock, shaw, and possibly mika.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Cougest wrote:
I would advise him to go on a mission. The NBA is far less important. But if he chooses not to I don't think anyone will care. Lots of athletes at BYU have chosen not to go.




Agreed. However, If he went straight on a mission and came back for the 2015-16 year, that would be a sick team with emery, chatman, hartsock, shaw, and possibly mika.


That would be one heck of a team.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
(spooky voice) Coooome to Proooovoooo, Jabari...plaaaaay at BYUUUUUU!!!!!
D
DarthMagnus
I'm not in the "a mission is the best thing for every young man" camp, so I would advise him just to do what he thinks best for himself. I certainly don't pretend to know.



A relevant aspect of that decision would be the opportunity cost of going and not going. For example, a mission will provide a pretty singular experience that he won't get anywhere else. Not going, however, might provide him with as much as 2 extra years in the NBA, which might amount to a whole lot of $$.



I think most of these opportunity costs are actually fairly quantifiable, so he could sit down and weight them against each other and make a very informed decision. It is a much more difficult decision than I ever had to figure out at 19. Wish him the best making it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.