Archived Topic

Doman on the way out

by hawkwing · 11/30/2012

Advertisement
G
Guest
Rumor has it that Brandon Doman is actively out shopping his resume around looking for different work.
E
EM_Puma
Wow. How interesting, but not totally surprising if some of the smoke we've seen this year that he and Bronco have been at different ends of the QB spectrum.
G
Gunk
Smart move. His head was on the block. Easier to find a job when you have one as opposed to when you don't.



It's what I'd do if I were in his position.



To overcome the scrutiny he'd have to have quite the year next year and given Hill is still an untested player that's a big question mark.
G
Guest
I think it's the right move for Doman, and maybe for BYU, depending upon who they replace him with.
L
Lawboy
It is also true that Bronco might be out shopping his. HE and Holly might not be feeling too appreciated right now. Can;t say I blame him, to be honest.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
If Doman leaves, I fear we lose some very good recruits....
S
SpiffCoug
Too bad we can't like ship him to Snow College or SUU for a few years to get some seasoning, really develop his offensive system. Find out what his offensive identity is.
S
Schmoe
SpiffCoug wrote:
Too bad we can't like ship him to Snow College or SUU for a few years to get some seasoning, really develop his offensive system. Find out what his offensive identity is.


Yeah, and we can't like give him one more year without the QB debacle that has been Nelson/Heaps either. Oh, wait...
S
Stirfry
I fear cougar fans might end up with bad case of the "careful what you wish fors". If this is true it'd be interesting to know if it's by choice or by recomendation from Bronco. This staff seems to have definately laid down a better foundation for BYU then we had 4, 6, 8 years ago. They have their shortcomings but every coach does. Using Utah as an example, I think it's more likely we enter into a Ray Giacoleti (sp?), Jim Boylen, Krysco cycle than an Urban Meyer- Kyle Whittingham cycle.



Maybe I'm just to conservative or maybe I'm just not quite old enough to remember anything prior to Detmer, but other than 1996 and 2001(on the mission) seasons, this has been the best 5 year stretch of cougar football I've watched. Even Urban Meyer's teams dropped off after Tebow left.
J
jonnylingo
i was pretty sure that I wanted Doman gone but at this point he has shown he is a quick learner despite his mistakes and if he wanted to go to lark prior to utah but bronco said no then i think i want bronco gone and doman to stick around. we have already put the two years into him and he has shown flashes of greatness. no question he has been in over his head but i am afraid after putting two years into him he may end up being good.



i just want to know who put all our eggs in nelson. that person is mainly responsible for the mediocre seasons we have had the past few years in my opinion. my gut tells me it was bronco.



at this point i want some new assistants and doman and bronco to stay put. i would like to give them one more year. if doman can't improve the offense next year then he will never be any good. hoff, apo, wiliams, hill. all he needs is to shore up the oline and the offense SHOULD be better.



also if bronco was dictating to doman to play riley type ball then doman shouldn't be the one to get canned.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
btw, this all bodes really well for our bowl game. :angry:
B
beauso79
jonnylingo wrote:
i was pretty sure that I wanted Doman gone but at this point he has shown he is a quick learner despite his mistakes and if he wanted to go to lark prior to utah but bronco said no then i think i want bronco gone and doman to stick around. we have already put the two years into him and he has shown flashes of greatness. no question he has been in over his head but i am afraid after putting two years into him he may end up being good.



i just want to know who put all our eggs in nelson. that person is mainly responsible for the mediocre seasons we have had the past few years in my opinion. my gut tells me it was bronco.



at this point i want some new assistants and doman and bronco to stay put. i would like to give them one more year. if doman can't improve the offense next year then he will never be any good. hoff, apo, wiliams, hill. all he needs is to shore up the oline and the offense SHOULD be better.



also if bronco was dictating to doman to play riley type ball then doman shouldn't be the one to get canned.


Agreed.......if Bronco was holding Doman hostage requiring him to play Riley. The "Doman" offense didn't look too bad against New Mexico State with Lark at QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
V
vrob
I for one sure hope not. He's finally getting to where he could really fly and then the whole issue of recruits he's brought in...
G
Guest
beauso79 wrote:
i was pretty sure that I wanted Doman gone but at this point he has shown he is a quick learner despite his mistakes and if he wanted to go to lark prior to utah but bronco said no then i think i want bronco gone and doman to stick around. we have already put the two years into him and he has shown flashes of greatness. no question he has been in over his head but i am afraid after putting two years into him he may end up being good.



i just want to know who put all our eggs in nelson. that person is mainly responsible for the mediocre seasons we have had the past few years in my opinion. my gut tells me it was bronco.



at this point i want some new assistants and doman and bronco to stay put. i would like to give them one more year. if doman can't improve the offense next year then he will never be any good. hoff, apo, wiliams, hill. all he needs is to shore up the oline and the offense SHOULD be better.



also if bronco was dictating to doman to play riley type ball then doman shouldn't be the one to get canned.


Agreed.......if Bronco was holding Doman hostage requiring him to play Riley. The "Doman" offense didn't look too bad against New Mexico State with Lark at QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Why in the world would you want to give Doman a pass for not being a man enough to be in charge of his own offense? Besides, there's absolutely zero evidence that it wasn't Doman's choice the whole time.
B
BroncoBot
If true, sad that we don't have the patience to let Doman learn from the mistakes of a mediocre, but winning season and see how he does with a decent QB.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Stirfry wrote:
I fear cougar fans might end up with bad case of the "careful what you wish fors". If this is true it'd be interesting to know if it's by choice or by recomendation from Bronco. This staff seems to have definately laid down a better foundation for BYU then we had 4, 6, 8 years ago. They have their shortcomings but every coach does. Using Utah as an example, I think it's more likely we enter into a Ray Giacoleti (sp?), Jim Boylen, Krysco cycle than an Urban Meyer- Kyle Whittingham cycle.



Maybe I'm just to conservative or maybe I'm just not quite old enough to remember anything prior to Detmer, but other than 1996 and 2001(on the mission) seasons, this has been the best 5 year stretch of cougar football I've watched. Even Urban Meyer's teams dropped off after Tebow left.

In short, the fans have become spoiled brats. I'm afraid that we will end up with a case of "careful what you wish for".
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:
I fear cougar fans might end up with bad case of the "careful what you wish fors". If this is true it'd be interesting to know if it's by choice or by recomendation from Bronco. This staff seems to have definately laid down a better foundation for BYU then we had 4, 6, 8 years ago. They have their shortcomings but every coach does. Using Utah as an example, I think it's more likely we enter into a Ray Giacoleti (sp?), Jim Boylen, Krysco cycle than an Urban Meyer- Kyle Whittingham cycle.



Maybe I'm just to conservative or maybe I'm just not quite old enough to remember anything prior to Detmer, but other than 1996 and 2001(on the mission) seasons, this has been the best 5 year stretch of cougar football I've watched. Even Urban Meyer's teams dropped off after Tebow left.

In short, the fans have become spoiled brats. I'm afraid that we will end up with a case of "careful what you wish for".


Spoiled? Wouldn't that imply getting what we wanted?



I think we're tired. Tired of slogans and proof. Tired of the same mistakes being made time and time again.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
Gunk wrote:
Stirfry wrote:
I fear cougar fans might end up with bad case of the "careful what you wish fors". If this is true it'd be interesting to know if it's by choice or by recomendation from Bronco. This staff seems to have definately laid down a better foundation for BYU then we had 4, 6, 8 years ago. They have their shortcomings but every coach does. Using Utah as an example, I think it's more likely we enter into a Ray Giacoleti (sp?), Jim Boylen, Krysco cycle than an Urban Meyer- Kyle Whittingham cycle.



Maybe I'm just to conservative or maybe I'm just not quite old enough to remember anything prior to Detmer, but other than 1996 and 2001(on the mission) seasons, this has been the best 5 year stretch of cougar football I've watched. Even Urban Meyer's teams dropped off after Tebow left.

In short, the fans have become spoiled brats. I'm afraid that we will end up with a case of "careful what you wish for".


Spoiled? Wouldn't that imply getting what we wanted?



I think we're tired. Tired of slogans and proof. Tired of the same mistakes being made time and time again.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Get ready to be tired of losing a lot too
S
Schmoe
Gunk wrote:

Spoiled? Wouldn't that imply getting what we wanted?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


You didn't want to be ranked? You didn't want ten-win seasons? You didn't want bowl wins? You wanted to continue what Lavell was doing his last couple years as HC? You wanted to continue what Crowton was doing?



We went from 5-7, 4-8, and 5-6 to 11-2 #15, 11-2 #14, 10-3 #21, 11-2 #12, 7-6, 10-3 #25 with just a one-year transition. If that's not what you wanted, I don't know what you might have been hoping for when Bronco took over. I'd say that's results. And yes, we've probably come to expect being ranked, winning bowl games, and winning double-digits every year, meaning we're a little spoiled as a fanbase.
F
frdbtr
Schmoe wrote:

Spoiled? Wouldn't that imply getting what we wanted?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


You didn't want to be ranked? You didn't want ten-win seasons? You didn't want bowl wins? You wanted to continue what Lavell was doing his last couple years as HC? You wanted to continue what Crowton was doing?



We went from 5-7, 4-8, and 5-6 to 11-2 #15, 11-2 #14, 10-3 #21, 11-2 #12, 7-6, 10-3 #25 with just a one-year transition. If that's not what you wanted, I don't know what you might have been hoping for when Bronco took over. I'd say that's results. And yes, we've probably come to expect being ranked, winning bowl games, and winning double-digits every year, meaning we're a little spoiled as a fanbase.


You missed the 6-6 in 05 but your point is still well stated. Bronco has done an absolute terrific job and deserves to leave on his own terms. I don't care what his decisions were with Riley Nelson, he is an awesome coach and the best one that BYU can get because he embraces the honor code and manages it and the missionary situation very well. If we lose him it will be catastrophic for BYU football.
Page 1 of 6
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.