Archived Topic

Growing weary...

by AmmonCougar1 · 11/30/2012

Advertisement
A
AmmonCougar1
I am completely disgusted at the venom that has been spewed out about Bronco over the course of this season. Do I agree with every decision he has made? No. But it doesn't mean I'm going to call for his firing or resignation. If I was Bronco and caught even a whiff of the crap being spoken about me on message boards and elsewhere I would probably walk away and say good riddance. Some berate him for being offended by the boos way back when. Well are we any better for being offended that he was offended? Some hang on to that and criticize and accuse him when lately I think he has been a kind toward fans as ever (re: comments after NMSU game most recently) Some berate him for his treatment of Lark and Ziggy and even whether or not Jamaal would have played had there not been an injury. But in the meantime we can't find positives in how the program we love is being run. I'm embarrassed that we are complaining about a coach who, despite not winning the big ones or the ones against our rivals has a great overall record and has brought back respect to the University we love.



That is all.



J. Child

Ammon, ID
Q
Qman
If you want to coach a football where the fans don't complain about the coach you'll need to wait for the next life.
R
runbyu1
I've always been an ardent Bronco supporter and to this day believe he is the right man to lead BYU Football. I don't know that it's his decisions that have upset people, but rather his stubbornness after the fact that leads everyone to believe that he isn't learning from his mistakes.

His refusal to admit that he *might* have even been wrong is what has really pissed me off lately. His comments that "he wouldn't change anything" or "I still believe we made the best decision" or "I'd do the same thing again" show complete arrogance, stubbornness, and even insanity. I believe this is what has upset people lately, myself included.



I believe this is my first post about Bronco, but I sure hope he is lying to us and he is actually learning from his mistakes. Unfortunately, his commentary and actions aren't showing that he is...
N
northerncougar
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
I am completely disgusted at the venom that has been spewed out about Bronco over the course of this season. Do I agree with every decision he has made? No. But it doesn't mean I'm going to call for his firing or resignation. If I was Bronco and caught even a whiff of the crap being spoken about me on message boards and elsewhere I would probably walk away and say good riddance. Some berate him for being offended by the boos way back when. Well are we any better for being offended that he was offended? Some hang on to that and criticize and accuse him when lately I think he has been a kind toward fans as ever (re: comments after NMSU game most recently) Some berate him for his treatment of Lark and Ziggy and even whether or not Jamaal would have played had there not been an injury. But in the meantime we can't find positives in how the program we love is being run. I'm embarrassed that we are complaining about a coach who, despite not winning the big ones or the ones against our rivals has a great overall record and has brought back respect to the University we love.



That is all.



J. Child

Ammon, ID


This is kind of a straw man argument. There are some idiots who have spewed venom, but you make it sound like the vast majority of people are that way. That is false.



The vast majority question some very questionable decisions and remarks he makes publically. His inability to let go of the booing his first year makes him look petty and childish, but it doesn't mean he is a bad coach.



Bronco is a very passionate and emotional person who puts on the opposite persona for the media. But his comments and decisions show otherwise.



I love Bronco and want him to stay. I just don't want him to stay the way he is. There are some very important things he needs to change.



That is all.
J
jonnylingo
Any program with passionate fans will have many of them unhappy with anything short of perfection. That is why they get million hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. no need to get weary of something like that.
Advertisement
S
SpoCoug
Can someone remind me what the facts were with the booing in his first year? And how do we know he hasn't gotten over it?
I
Isola
I totally agree with the OP. I don't agree with every call, and I don't always like the outcome, but there is not a coach out there that I would rather have than Bronco. He cleaned up the program and got the team winning again.



I think before you call for his ouster you have to provide a list of 3 coaches who could reasonably do better, and I can't even think of one.
M
Mingjai
SpoCoug wrote:
Can someone remind me what the facts were with the booing in his first year? And how do we know he hasn't gotten over it?


At home versus BC in Bronco's first game--I was there. Anyone who remembers the details better feel free to correct me. Basically, early in the 4th quarter, down 14-3, BYU drove the ball past the BC 40 (one of BYU's few forays across midfield). On 4th and 6-ish, Bronco chooses to punt. The punt went into the end zone, so BYU netted about 15 yards on the exchange. The feeling in the crowd given the flow of the game was that the coaches were calling it a game and the boos started. It seems like Bronco brings it up in an interview at least once a year.
H
HoosierCougar
SpoCoug wrote:
Can someone remind me what the facts were with the booing in his first year? And how do we know he hasn't gotten over it?


IIRC it was a 4th and short vs Boston College near mid field. Fans wanted to see the team go for it and preserve momentum. Bronco sent in the punt team.



He brings it up from time to time as an illustration of fans not knowing as much as he does.



I looked quickly for more details but didn't find them. Someonw will have specifics.
G
Gunk
This a football forum, where the performance of a team is discussed. It just so happens that the head coach has a huge part in the performance of a team. Team isn't performing very well this season, even by Bronco's standards; hence, the criticism.



On a related side note, Bronco doesn't really do himself any favors. His disdain for a significant portion of fans in apparent and let's not forget him calling the boosters Pharisees. So, Bronco's hardly been a saint when it comes to criticizing us.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
Gunk wrote:
This a football forum, where the performance of a team is discussed. It just so happens that the head coach has a huge part in the performance of a team. Team isn't performing very well this season, even by Bronco's standards; hence, the criticism.


+1



This is a place where passionate fans can vent their frustrations when things aren't going well. You better believe I'll defend Bronco if an outsider has something to say, but it is nice to have a place to let off some steam with people who feel the same (or people who can help me see the silver lining) when things are bad.



I'd be willing to bet that Bronco is the highest paid person at BYU, maybe in the entire church. He should understand the expectations that come with that, and be able to handle the criticism when they're not met. In fact, he set the expectations himself when he said he his goal is a NC
T
tww
Mingjai wrote:
Can someone remind me what the facts were with the booing in his first year? And how do we know he hasn't gotten over it?


At home versus BC in Bronco's first game--I was there. Anyone who remembers the details better feel free to correct me. Basically, early in the 4th quarter, down 14-3, BYU drove the ball past the BC 40 (one of BYU's few forays across midfield). On 4th and 6-ish, Bronco chooses to punt. The punt went into the end zone, so BYU netted about 15 yards on the exchange. The feeling in the crowd given the flow of the game was that the coaches were calling it a game and the boos started. It seems like Bronco brings it up in an interview at least once a year.


I think Bronco makes way too much of this and takes it out of context. I am surprised that he does not understand that when fans boo a call they are not booing the person, it is not a personal attack. They are merely expressing their disagreement and displeasure about a call or decision and they are doing it with the only means given them to communicate.



Fans can either cheer or boo and the players, coaches, and officials must live with it. I think Bronco would be better off if he was more acknowledging of criticism and less defensive. (It seems like Joseph Smith had some good counsel along those lines.)



If he or anyone else is growing weary of boos, just wait until Nelson throws a pick, fumbles the ball, or misses an open receiver in the bowl game. If it happens at a time when the game is going badly the boos are going flow long and loud. It won't be pretty. So I hope that Bronco and Riley are very careful about their bold and stubborn manner in which they choose to end the season because it could backfire on them big time.
M
mizzoucoug
Bronco is a conundrum. We all love the fact that he saved the program and runs it about as cleanly as an angel. We all hate the fact that he doesn't seem to treat any games differently than others per his own words and per the consistently average results. We all have questions about personnel decisions, again, per his own words and per his own selections. We all love what kind of fire Bronco brings to the D but can't understand why he does not do the same for the offense.



This is just another dilemma in life. It's not all good or all bad so what you have to ask is can we do better without him? I say no way right now. Does this mean we will continue to be irrelevant on the national stage? Likely, yes. But how is that any different than the past 50 years?



Let's just see what the post-Heaps/Nelson era brings...
L
Lawboy
I agree that is has gotten out of hand. But BYU fans have become increasingly upset about our place in teh CFB world, and Bronco is an easy target. We used to be the big kid on teh block, but now Utah, TCU and BSU passed us, HAwaii made it in, and KEnt state could this year. People look around and are frustrated, and Bronco gets the wrath.



Personally, I blame whoever it was that choked the Big XII talks last year. I put that on TH, CS and the BoT. Collectively, they blew it.
C
Cougarbib
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
I am completely disgusted at the venom that has been spewed out about Bronco over the course of this season. Do I agree with every decision he has made? No. But it doesn't mean I'm going to call for his firing or resignation. If I was Bronco and caught even a whiff of the crap being spoken about me on message boards and elsewhere I would probably walk away and say good riddance. Some berate him for being offended by the boos way back when. Well are we any better for being offended that he was offended? Some hang on to that and criticize and accuse him when lately I think he has been a kind toward fans as ever (re: comments after NMSU game most recently) Some berate him for his treatment of Lark and Ziggy and even whether or not Jamaal would have played had there not been an injury. But in the meantime we can't find positives in how the program we love is being run. I'm embarrassed that we are complaining about a coach who, despite not winning the big ones or the ones against our rivals has a great overall record and has brought back respect to the University we love.



That is all.



J. Child

Ammon, ID


This.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
scott715
Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;



The fans just need to show more love to BM.
C
Cougarbib
Mingjai wrote:
Can someone remind me what the facts were with the booing in his first year? And how do we know he hasn't gotten over it?


At home versus BC in Bronco's first game--I was there. Anyone who remembers the details better feel free to correct me. Basically, early in the 4th quarter, down 14-3, BYU drove the ball past the BC 40 (one of BYU's few forays across midfield). On 4th and 6-ish, Bronco chooses to punt. The punt went into the end zone, so BYU netted about 15 yards on the exchange. The feeling in the crowd given the flow of the game was that the coaches were calling it a game and the boos started. It seems like Bronco brings it up in an interview at least once a year.


Always easy to 2nd guess - after the fact. I do not think Bronco instructed the punter to "boot it as far as you can." He probably expected to down it inside the 5 and then get a safety. He always places confidence in the defense. Bad execution. If he had the QB drop back on 4th and 6, and he got sacked at mid-field, I am sure that would get 2nd guessed too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
This a football forum, where the performance of a team is discussed. It just so happens that the head coach has a huge part in the performance of a team. Team isn't performing very well this season, even by Bronco's standards; hence, the criticism.



On a related side note, Bronco doesn't really do himself any favors. His disdain for a significant portion of fans in apparent and let's not forget him calling the boosters Pharisees. So, Bronco's hardly been a saint when it comes to criticizing us.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Constructive criticism is fine. Can actually be helpful. Constructive criticism is constructive because it is given respectfully and intended to help. It is usually most constructive if the person giving it is highly expert in the area being criticized.



The OP was not weary of constructive criticism. He is weary of VENOM and HATE.



Totally agree. Annual experience lately. Not just football either. "Everybody needs somebody to look down on" or so it seems. But if that is how you go about feeling better about yourself - there is a better way.



Anae, Nelson, Heaps, Ashworth, Zylstra, Cusick, Uale, and now Doman and Mendenhall. Even Hall had a turn in the old venom Barrell. Coach Hill, Weber, etc. oh Matt Reynolds. Chow. Even LaVell at the end.



The venom speweth forth.



A few of them probably did need to go - but that gets lost in all the other noise.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
Cougarbib wrote:
SpoCoug wrote:
Can someone remind me what the facts were with the booing in his first year? And how do we know he hasn't gotten over it?


At home versus BC in Bronco's first game--I was there. Anyone who remembers the details better feel free to correct me. Basically, early in the 4th quarter, down 14-3, BYU drove the ball past the BC 40 (one of BYU's few forays across midfield). On 4th and 6-ish, Bronco chooses to punt. The punt went into the end zone, so BYU netted about 15 yards on the exchange. The feeling in the crowd given the flow of the game was that the coaches were calling it a game and the boos started. It seems like Bronco brings it up in an interview at least once a year.


Always easy to 2nd guess - after the fact. I do not think Bronco instructed the punter to "boot it as far as you can." He probably expected to down it inside the 5 and then get a safety. He always places confidence in the defense. Bad execution. If he had the QB drop back on 4th and 6, and he got sacked at mid-field, I am sure that would get 2nd guessed too.


After the fact is when I always do my best second guessing! I would have second guessed the decision to punt even if they pinned the ball down inside the 5 yard line.
S
Stirfry
I agree with the OP but as I read somewhere on CC today, you wont find a Head Coaching position that doesn't get criticized until the next life. I can't imagine finding a fanbase linked to a team as competitive as BYU that won't react the same way as BYU fans do. Unless you coach for an apathetic fan base, you're going to get booed when things aren't going well. It doesn't make it right but it's part of the job. It's something that fans need to be aware of but something a coach needs to accept or they're never going to enjoy their job.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.