Archived Topic

Colorado contacting Bronco about HC job opening

by Mars · 11/30/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Mars wrote:


http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_22095246/woody-paige-put-butch-jones-atop-colorado-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



So, at least someone still wants him. I hope their fanbase is anti-booing!


He wasn't their first choice based on earlier rumors. This job is high risk - but they did have a coach back when Detmer was a freshman that had them on quite a roll but then abruptly quit. He was a very religious man. Rumor had it that one of the star African American players got his white daughter pregnant. I have no idea if those rumors were true - but he walked away from coaching.



Note that the article indicates that Bronco probably makes $1M a year and Butch makes more than $1.5M. Anderson has also been mentioned along with a host of others. Many coaches would not take this job. But the right coach could build a winner there.



The article indicates CU could pay Bronco $2.5M.



I guess that would mean he could retire in 1/3 the time vs staying at BYU and then become a GA or whatever he plans to do.



I know Bronco has his detractors these days - but if he gives BYU and BYU fans the finger for 2 1/2 times the pay elsewhere - guess what that makes us - stepping stone - and them - U's new rival.



And if USU hangs onto Andersen - their stepping stone days may be ending.



U has been a stepping stone whenever - on rare occasion - they had a decent coach. K Whitt has stayed.



USU has always been one.



BYU had never been one. I hope Bronco sticks around. If I were Bronco - the $2.5M and opportunity to go PAC and build something great - or try to do it - would look very interesting to me right now -



But hey Tom Holmoe - sit Bronco down and tell him that some disgruntled fans have demanded that I put you on a short leash - and see where that goes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
Cougarbib wrote:


http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_22095246/woody-paige-put-butch-jones-atop-colorado-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



So, at least someone still wants him. I hope their fanbase is anti-booing!


He wasn't their first choice based on earlier rumors. This job is high risk - but they did have a coach back when Detmer was a freshman that had them on quite a roll but then abruptly quit. He was a very religious man. Rumor had it that one of the star African American players got his white daughter pregnant. I have no idea if those rumors were true - but he walked away from coaching.


You're talking about Bill McCartney, and the QB who got his daughter pregnant was Sal Aunese. Aunese was sick during the 1988 Freedom Bowl versus BYU and died of stomach cancer 9 months later. McCartney did not quick because of the pregnancy (the child ended up playing football at LSU), instead continued coaching, and under his watch, the CU finished #4 in 1989 and won the national championship in 1990 by beating Holtz's Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl (phantom clipping call anyone?). As I recall, McCartney was coach during Cordell Stewart's 65-yard Hail Mary at Michigan and the Buffs were good that year as well.
M
Mingjai
Cougarbib wrote:
U has been a stepping stone whenever - on rare occasion - they had a decent coach. K Whitt has stayed.



USU has always been one.



BYU had never been one.


Yeah, only because the only two good head coaches BYU has ever had were LaVell Edwards and Bronco Mendenhall. No one wanted any of the coaches pre-Edwards nor did they want the one immediately following him either.
C
Cougarbib
Mingjai wrote:
U has been a stepping stone whenever - on rare occasion - they had a decent coach. K Whitt has stayed.



USU has always been one.



BYU had never been one.


Yeah, only because the only two good head coaches BYU has ever had were LaVell Edwards and Bronco Mendenhall. No one wanted any of the coaches pre-Edwards nor did they want the one immediately following him either.

Exactly. Same as at most schools. But Edwards stayed and worked for peanuts because he loved BYU. That is why it bothers me so much how many fans treated him at the end of his career. Ditto Bronco. It took Crowton to make some fans appreciate the guy they had wanted to get rid of. Us old geezers remember the guys before LaVell - and thus appreciated every minute he was at BYU. The geezer group has also seen the unrealistic dream list of coaches get pulled out and one by one say thanks but no thanks.



When Tommy Hudspeth got run out of town



No big name coach came in. The team that could not seem to score any points promoted their defensive coordinator - LaVell Edwards - took a risk - gave him a chance. Instead of using that to step up - and he turned down numerous teams over the years - Edwards stayed and changed BYU football and became a legend.



Bronco - same story. Nobody else wanted the job - so promote DC and take a risk.



In both cases the risk paid off - but not well enough for some fans.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
Tommy Hudspeth used BYU as a stepping stone.. He left the Y and went to UTEP and then the Detroit Lions. Wait. Those were both steps down.
S
Schmoe
Man, Woddy Paige is an idiot. He writes an article talking about Cincinatti's Butch Jones and our own Bronco Mendenhall as the main candidates the Buffs should go after (his first choice is Jones, probably because of Bronco's "magic underwear" and obsession with green jello). Anyhow, he later dismisses other coaches in his article by saying "However, the Buffs will not hire someone who hasn't been a head coach in one of the six major conferences." Umm...okay, so they should interview Bronco, he should be #2 on their shortlist, but they won't hire him? Is this just verification that people now view independent BYU as a BCS-level program? Even if that's the case, we've never been in a "major conference." Just not the brightest guy, IMHO.
S
SpiffCoug
BYU is avoiding the dumpster fire that is the Big East. Bronco would be wise to follow suit and avoid the dumpster fire that is Colorado football.
P
Phatgreen
SpiffCoug wrote:
BYU is avoiding the dumpster fire that is the Big East. Bronco would be wise to follow suit and avoid the dumpster fire that is Colorado football.

Amen to that. As a Denver resident I see firsthand how people feel about the CU athletic program. The place is a total disaster, and Bronco is not dumb enough to take that job.
M
MTM
Schmoe wrote:
"However, the Buffs will not hire someone who hasn't been a head coach in one of the six major conferences." .


That eliminates Gary Andersen too I guess.



FWIW, I had a CU alum tell me that he didn't think they'd go after Gary Andersen "after the Dan Hawkins experience" meaning what Woody Paige said-They won't hire a "non-AQ" coach again.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
MTM wrote:
"However, the Buffs will not hire someone who hasn't been a head coach in one of the six major conferences." .


That eliminates Gary Andersen too I guess.



FWIW, I had a CU alum tell me that he didn't think they'd go after Gary Andersen "after the Dan Hawkins experience" meaning what Woody Paige said-They won't hire a "non-AQ" coach again.


If this is true it's totally moronic. Michigan can higher a non AQ coach but CU can't? Maybe they can pick up Bobby Patrino?
C
Cougarbib
1967cougar wrote:
Tommy Hudspeth used BYU as a stepping stone.. He left the Y and went to UTEP and then the Detroit Lions. Wait. Those were both steps down.


Tommy Hudspeth was run out of town. As I clearly stated - BYU has never been a stepping stone school. In the old days they fired a lot of coaches. Head coaches did not come here on their way to something bigger and better.



Assistant coaches did. But that is how it works most places.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Stirfry wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
"However, the Buffs will not hire someone who hasn't been a head coach in one of the six major conferences." .


That eliminates Gary Andersen too I guess.



FWIW, I had a CU alum tell me that he didn't think they'd go after Gary Andersen "after the Dan Hawkins experience" meaning what Woody Paige said-They won't hire a "non-AQ" coach again.


If this is true it's totally moronic. Michigan can higher a non AQ coach but CU can't? Maybe they can pick up Bobby Patrino?


First - it is inconsistent with the theme of his own article. He recommended hiring Butch 1st choice or Bronco 2nd choice.



Bronco is not an AQ coach. The quote is clearly a dig at the last two coaches.



Butch has a decent gig now. Would he leave that for CU just to get to a better conference or wait for a better opportunity to come up? Could go either way.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MTM
Stirfry wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
"However, the Buffs will not hire someone who hasn't been a head coach in one of the six major conferences." .


That eliminates Gary Andersen too I guess.



FWIW, I had a CU alum tell me that he didn't think they'd go after Gary Andersen "after the Dan Hawkins experience" meaning what Woody Paige said-They won't hire a "non-AQ" coach again.


If this is true it's totally moronic. Michigan can higher a non AQ coach but CU can't? Maybe they can pick up Bobby Patrino?


Maybe Petrino. I've also heard Mark Mangino's name mentioned.
S
Schmoe
MTM wrote:
MTM wrote:
"However, the Buffs will not hire someone who hasn't been a head coach in one of the six major conferences." .


That eliminates Gary Andersen too I guess.



FWIW, I had a CU alum tell me that he didn't think they'd go after Gary Andersen "after the Dan Hawkins experience" meaning what Woody Paige said-They won't hire a "non-AQ" coach again.


If this is true it's totally moronic. Michigan can higher a non AQ coach but CU can't? Maybe they can pick up Bobby Patrino?


Maybe Petrino. I've also heard Mark Mangino's name mentioned.


Mangino is a very good coach. Despite being fired because a player was a crybaby (and his second job filling in for the Syracuse Orangeman when the mascot is sick), he did wonders with an otherwise irrelevant Kansas program.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
For all those who stress that BYU is irrelevant nationally with regards to football, if Bronco leaves, we will be less than irrelevant.....I've never seen one valid name put forward as being able to replace Bronco as HC.
L
Lawboy
BoiseBYU wrote:
For all those who stress that BYU is irrelevant nationally with regards to football, if Bronco leaves, we will be less than irrelevant.....I've never seen one valid name put forward as being able to replace Bronco as HC.


Andy Reid, but is a long shot. HE will be looking for work in a few weeks. I am sure that the Chargers or Cowboys might grab his first though.



Other than those two, no idea honestly. I am sure the list is a smallish one.
B
BoiseBYU
Lawboy wrote:
For all those who stress that BYU is irrelevant nationally with regards to football, if Bronco leaves, we will be less than irrelevant.....I've never seen one valid name put forward as being able to replace Bronco as HC.


Andy Reid, but is a long shot. HE will be looking for work in a few weeks. I am sure that the Chargers or Cowboys might grab his first though.



Other than those two, no idea honestly. I am sure the list is a smallish one.


I've always assumed that Reid is a real long shot, unless he is willing to not coach in the NFL and in giving up millions of dollars a year in salary. So CougarCorner, especially the ones who dislike Bronco, who is there?
S
Schmoe
My guess is that some say Ken NIOUASIJNWEIOJWIOJA from Navy. I don't think we get nearly the same results with Ken at the helm as we have with Bronco. My $0.02.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.