Archived Topic

Bronco quote on Ziggy

by tmoney35 · 11/29/2012

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
I got this from a Wrubell tweet"


Bronco on Ziggy: "This is a guy I never took seriously, and now we've had more NFL personnel (at BYU) this yr than prev 8 yrs put together."


So you've got one of the most athletically dominant players ever to play at BYU, one that is projected as a possible 1st round draft pick, and because he's new to football and maybe not perfectly assignment sound, you don't take him seriously, and wouldn't have started him until injury forced you to.



I've avoided criticizing Bronco because I know he has one of the hardest jobs in all of CFB and has done a pretty good job of fielding a good team most of the years I've been at BYU, but quotes like this really bug me.



Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
J
jonnylingo
tmoney35 wrote:
I got this from a Wrubell tweet"


Bronco on Ziggy: "This is a guy I never took seriously, and now we've had more NFL personnel (at BYU) this yr than prev 8 yrs put together."


So you've got one of the most athletically dominant players ever to play at BYU, one that is projected as a possible 1st round draft pick, and because he's new to football and maybe not perfectly assignment sound, you don't take him seriously, and wouldn't have started him until injury forced you to.



I've avoided criticizing Bronco because I know he has one of the hardest jobs in all of CFB and has done a pretty good job of fielding a good team most of the years I've been at BYU, but quotes like this really bug me.



Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.


Yeah, you are probably reading too much into it but I can't blame you given some of Bronco's wierd decisions in the past on issues like this.
G
Guest
I would say that Ziggy was more than "maybe not perfectly assignment sound" since he had never seen football pads before and had no idea how to put them on.



In the sense that if some kid comes in and says they want to try to play the football and have never played before it's understandable to not take it too seriously. But there's no arguing with the results.
J
jonnylingo
I have a hard time with fans that basing bronco regarding ziggy. bronco is certainly subject to criticism with how he has handled the qb situation but i have a hard time seeing how he could be criticized for the ziggy situation. i doubt most coaches would let someone who hadn't ever even seen a football let a long know what a linebacker or defensive end was play d1 football.



of all thing bronco deserves criticism on it is not this. i think he was just making the point that when he came in he didn't take him seriously. i am sure he did once he saw his seriously fast progression.
S
snoscythe
You read the whole article and realize how raw he was, and it all makes sense. Even before the season Jan Jorgensen refused to even talk about Ziggy starting because he thought the idea was a joke.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
jonnylingo wrote:
I have a hard time with fans that basing bronco regarding ziggy. bronco is certainly subject to criticism with how he has handled the qb situation but i have a hard time seeing how he could be criticized for the ziggy situation. i doubt most coaches would let someone who hadn't ever even seen a football let a long know what a linebacker or defensive end was play d1 football.



of all thing bronco deserves criticism on it is not this. i think he was just making the point that when he came in he didn't take him seriously. i am sure he did once he saw his seriously fast progression.


+1 did you guys know that most High school coaches won't even let you try out for the team unless you have come up throught pee wee football and attended their summer workouts? Ziggy didn't even know how to put on his equipment when he got to BYU, how is a college coach supposed to treat that? Bronco utilized Ziggy exactly how he should have. He was very athletic, Bronco let him come to practice to Ziggy's credit he worked his butt off, listened to the coaches and turned himself into a good player. Even to start this year, he hadn't shown himself to be reliable when in the game on running plays but once again Ziggy listened to his coaches and fixed that weakness in his game. He is a great story, I wonder how many coaches would have even helped him put on his pads 3 years ago let alone let him keep coming back to practice.
B
BoiseBYU
Ziggy is a BIG plus for Bronco and his staff--He went from pure raw talent to a first round draft pick because of the COACHING and Ziggy's hard work. A very nice thing to have on the ol' resume
G
Gunk
I wonder how many other talents on the team aren't being taken seriously?



Yes, I know how raw Ziggy was. Yes, I know if I'm a D1 coach with 100 players to look after, a guy like Ziggy that's never seen a football would be low, way low on my priority list.



That said, speed, size, and agility weren't taken seriously? :skeptic: It's not uncommon at all for a college football coach to recruit track and basketball players after recognizing talent in them. I'm sorry, but this does make me question Bronco's ability to recognize talent and give that talent a shot.



Ziggy would have barely sniffed the field if it weren't for players getting injured. The talent would have gone wasted.
C
Cougs_Rule
I give bronco a fairly high grade on Ziggy. But let's face it, this is at least 50% Ziggys physical attributes. A lot of Walk-ons and scholie kids work their butt off and get nowhere--jan Jorgensen.

Ziggy was doing kick off coverage his sophomore year. And still confused last year running rit past RBs. Whether or not he should have started this year is the only question mark. But he has made the most of his starting time and brought back glimpses of years gone by of DE who can both pass rush and run tackle and not just take up space preventing runs up the middle. Love our stout Polys, but they seem to underperform at times partly bc they are expected to just take up space.

Thanks Zig for showing Bronco that his static perceptions in some cases are just that, static, unbending and in some cases, defintely constraining--holding the team back.
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
I wonder how many other talents on the team aren't being taken seriously?



Yes, I know how raw Ziggy was. Yes, I know if I'm a D1 coach with 100 players to look after, a guy like Ziggy that's never seen a football would be low, way low on my priority list.



That said, speed, size, and agility weren't taken seriously? :skeptic: It's not uncommon at all for a college football coach to recruit track and basketball players after recognizing talent in them. I'm sorry, but this does make me question Bronco's ability to recognize talent and give that talent a shot.



Ziggy would have barely sniffed the field if it weren't for players getting injured. The talent would have gone wasted.

Was Ziggy NOT given a shot? Were his taletns NOT recognized? Injuries are part of the game. Talent once realized almost always finds a way to break through. Some times it takes some fortunate bounces and circumstances, but talent usually finds a way.
Advertisement
R
runbyu1
SpiffCoug wrote:

Was Ziggy NOT given a shot? Were his taletns NOT recognized? Injuries are part of the game. Talent once realized almost always finds a way to break through. Some times it takes some fortunate bounces and circumstances, but talent usually finds a way.


-Signed James Lark ;)
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
I wonder how many other talents on the team aren't being taken seriously?



Yes, I know how raw Ziggy was. Yes, I know if I'm a D1 coach with 100 players to look after, a guy like Ziggy that's never seen a football would be low, way low on my priority list.



That said, speed, size, and agility weren't taken seriously? :skeptic: It's not uncommon at all for a college football coach to recruit track and basketball players after recognizing talent in them. I'm sorry, but this does make me question Bronco's ability to recognize talent and give that talent a shot.



Ziggy would have barely sniffed the field if it weren't for players getting injured. The talent would have gone wasted.

Was Ziggy NOT given a shot? Were his taletns NOT recognized? Injuries are part of the game. Talent once realized almost always finds a way to break through. Some times it takes some fortunate bounces and circumstances, but talent usually finds a way.


Spiff, let's assume Manumaleuna didn't get injured. Ziggy would have spent the rest of the season coming in only in special situations. He would not have ended up leading the team in tackles for loss. He would not have attracted so much attention. The NFL would barely know of him. In short, he wouldn't be 1st round material and likely wouldn't even be draft material.



Manumaleuna is a good player. Ziggy is better. The better player would have sat, not because he wasn't good enough but because Bronco wouldn't have played him. Ziggy wouldn't have had an opportunity to showcase what he was really capable of doing.



I credit Bronco for bringing Ziggy on board. I credit Ziggy more, though, for his own development. As well as Van Noy's tutelage. And, yes, I do question Bronco's favortism of seniority over talent. The Ziggy situation, as well as the Lark and the Williams situations give me no cause not to question.



It seems too often the better player sits.
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
I wonder how many other talents on the team aren't being taken seriously?



Yes, I know how raw Ziggy was. Yes, I know if I'm a D1 coach with 100 players to look after, a guy like Ziggy that's never seen a football would be low, way low on my priority list.



That said, speed, size, and agility weren't taken seriously? :skeptic: It's not uncommon at all for a college football coach to recruit track and basketball players after recognizing talent in them. I'm sorry, but this does make me question Bronco's ability to recognize talent and give that talent a shot.



Ziggy would have barely sniffed the field if it weren't for players getting injured. The talent would have gone wasted.

Was Ziggy NOT given a shot? Were his taletns NOT recognized? Injuries are part of the game. Talent once realized almost always finds a way to break through. Some times it takes some fortunate bounces and circumstances, but talent usually finds a way.


Spiff, let's assume Manumaleuna didn't get injured. Ziggy would have spent the rest of the season coming in only in special situations. He would not have ended up leading the team in tackles for loss. He would not have attracted so much attention. The NFL would barely know of him. In short, he wouldn't be 1st round material and likely wouldn't even be draft material.



Manumaleuna is a good player. Ziggy is better. The better player would have sat, not because he wasn't good enough but because Bronco wouldn't have played him. Ziggy wouldn't have had an opportunity to showcase what he was really capable of doing.



I credit Bronco for bringing Ziggy on board. I credit Ziggy more, though, for his own development. As well as Van Noy's tutelage. And, yes, I do question Bronco's favortism of seniority over talent. The Ziggy situation, as well as the Lark and the Williams situations give me no cause not to question.



It seems too often the better player sits.


Well stated. Looks like a pattern.
J
jonnylingo
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
I wonder how many other talents on the team aren't being taken seriously?



Yes, I know how raw Ziggy was. Yes, I know if I'm a D1 coach with 100 players to look after, a guy like Ziggy that's never seen a football would be low, way low on my priority list.



That said, speed, size, and agility weren't taken seriously? :skeptic: It's not uncommon at all for a college football coach to recruit track and basketball players after recognizing talent in them. I'm sorry, but this does make me question Bronco's ability to recognize talent and give that talent a shot.



Ziggy would have barely sniffed the field if it weren't for players getting injured. The talent would have gone wasted.

Was Ziggy NOT given a shot? Were his taletns NOT recognized? Injuries are part of the game. Talent once realized almost always finds a way to break through. Some times it takes some fortunate bounces and circumstances, but talent usually finds a way.


Spiff, let's assume Manumaleuna didn't get injured. Ziggy would have spent the rest of the season coming in only in special situations. He would not have ended up leading the team in tackles for loss. He would not have attracted so much attention. The NFL would barely know of him. In short, he wouldn't be 1st round material and likely wouldn't even be draft material.



Manumaleuna is a good player. Ziggy is better. The better player would have sat, not because he wasn't good enough but because Bronco wouldn't have played him. Ziggy wouldn't have had an opportunity to showcase what he was really capable of doing.



I credit Bronco for bringing Ziggy on board. I credit Ziggy more, though, for his own development. As well as Van Noy's tutelage. And, yes, I do question Bronco's favortism of seniority over talent. The Ziggy situation, as well as the Lark and the Williams situations give me no cause not to question.



It seems too often the better player sits.


I don't know if I agree about this. Ziggy has improved every game. He was going to get time playing whether he started or not. Manu was better than him at the time ziggy was coming in off the bench. we were lucky he was there. can you imagine if he wasn't. he as a life saver for our defense this year after dulan and manu went down. we were thin as it was and we are lucky he is such a quick learner.



but i don't think he was better than manu at the beginning of the year. he has improved even faster now that he became the starter but that was by necessity.
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I wonder how many other talents on the team aren't being taken seriously?



Yes, I know how raw Ziggy was. Yes, I know if I'm a D1 coach with 100 players to look after, a guy like Ziggy that's never seen a football would be low, way low on my priority list.



That said, speed, size, and agility weren't taken seriously? :skeptic: It's not uncommon at all for a college football coach to recruit track and basketball players after recognizing talent in them. I'm sorry, but this does make me question Bronco's ability to recognize talent and give that talent a shot.



Ziggy would have barely sniffed the field if it weren't for players getting injured. The talent would have gone wasted.

Was Ziggy NOT given a shot? Were his taletns NOT recognized? Injuries are part of the game. Talent once realized almost always finds a way to break through. Some times it takes some fortunate bounces and circumstances, but talent usually finds a way.


Spiff, let's assume Manumaleuna didn't get injured. Ziggy would have spent the rest of the season coming in only in special situations. He would not have ended up leading the team in tackles for loss. He would not have attracted so much attention. The NFL would barely know of him. In short, he wouldn't be 1st round material and likely wouldn't even be draft material.



Manumaleuna is a good player. Ziggy is better. The better player would have sat, not because he wasn't good enough but because Bronco wouldn't have played him. Ziggy wouldn't have had an opportunity to showcase what he was really capable of doing.



I credit Bronco for bringing Ziggy on board. I credit Ziggy more, though, for his own development. As well as Van Noy's tutelage. And, yes, I do question Bronco's favortism of seniority over talent. The Ziggy situation, as well as the Lark and the Williams situations give me no cause not to question.



It seems too often the better player sits.


I don't know if I agree about this. Ziggy has improved every game. He was going to get time playing whether he started or not. Manu was better than him at the time ziggy was coming in off the bench. we were lucky he was there. can you imagine if he wasn't. he as a life saver for our defense this year after dulan and manu went down. we were thin as it was and we are lucky he is such a quick learner.



but i don't think he was better than manu at the beginning of the year. he has improved even faster now that he became the starter but that was by necessity.


I agree. Ziggy would have gotten more and more playing time as he improved regardless of the injury situation of the guys in front of him.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
BoiseBYU wrote:
Ziggy is a BIG plus for Bronco and his staff--He went from pure raw talent to a first round draft pick because of the COACHING and Ziggy's hard work. A very nice thing to have on the ol' resume


+1 on this. There's plenty to question with the coaches for us arm chair qb's but Ziggy is a success for the coaches. They recognized his size, speed, and attitude and gave him a shot. He's the opposite side of the coin to Riley. Bronco likes the blue collar, hard working guys that don't feel entitled. With Ziggy, it really paid off to invest in a walk-on with potential versus an average high school kid that had some experiance.
S
Schmoe
Yes, Ziggy is a rare physical specimen. But if you've seen the way he has DRASTICALLY improved this year, the way he sniffs out screens, makes good tackles, played his assignment BEAUTIFULLY vs the option, you know that he's been receiving very good coaching. And, while he's a projected first-rounder now, he wasn't at the beginning of the season, not just because of exposure, but because this good coaching has helped him come a VERY long way in an extremely short amount of time. If you, as a coach, can take ANYONE who has never seen a football game in their life and turn them into an assignment-sound first-rounder in three years, you're doing something very right.
G
Guest
You know, if Rosé had better understood the abilities Ziggy has he could have been some much needed beef on a team of skinny white guys. But I guess he didn't take him seriously when he tried out.
S
Schmoe
hawkwing wrote:
...I guess he didn't take him seriously when he tried out...


twice.
C
cornhole153
Schmoe wrote:
...I guess he didn't take him seriously when he tried out...


twice.




Yes, because clearly all football players are equally good at basketball.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.